Dr. Chris Atkins

Rate Dr. Chris Atkins

Dr. Chris Atkins's Ratings

I drove 1 hour, and waited another half hour for what amounted to a 10 minute appointment. Dr Atkins spent approx 5 minutes of my 10 minutes in front of me on the phone with another patient while I sat and tried not to listen in. I felt this was very unprofessional. He made an accurate diagnosis of my condition and suggested treatment, but appeared less than interested in my questions and gave me a pre-printed handout to go home and read instead of taking any more time with me. I will never go back. I'm finding it very frustrating trying to find quality care in Victoria.

Submitted Nov. 7, 2011 | flag

Doctor Atkins is competent but can be rude and comes across as arrogant. Although he needs to work on his bedside manner he is knowledgeable and you could do worse.

Submitted May 21, 2011 | flag

I saw Dr. Atkins a couple of times and had widely varying experiences. The first time I found him attentive and helpful, but the next time (a year later and with no answers to my condition) I found him abrupt and dismissive to the point where he said he couldn't help me and not to come back. I realize that my condition might be difficult to diagnose (I had to go to the States and see a specialist there), but it isn't something I wanted either and I really could have used some help rather than "the bum's rush", so to speak. I think Rheumatology must be a difficult area to work in; the tests aren't always terribly conclusive and a patient's symptoms may be completely internal and not measurable until they are advanced, but we who suffer from conditions like this need a bit more support and recognition from specialists about the limitations of the tests. Dr. Atkins' response was detrimental in a number of ways.

Submitted Feb. 4, 2011 | flag

Dr. Baker was the first rheumatologist I went to - he was reputed to be the BEST on Vancouver Island. He is not very open to inquiries about alternative treatments. I was treated very poorly by Dr. Atkins when I inquired about alternative treatment. He pushed himself back in his chair, and stated that he could not treat me, that I needed to leave his office and he would refer me to a different doctor who was more "progressive". I have never had such an experience with a Dr. before and left his office in shock before I burst into tears in the car. For someone newly diagnosed and told to take medications with potentially damaging side effects, it is perfectly natural to ask about less destructive forms of treatment and be treated with respect. I believe it is best to do your own research and ask intelligent questions - but beware: ask ones he does not like and you can find yourself a new doctor.

Submitted Nov. 30, 2009 | flag

I learned more from my one appointment with Dr. Atkins, then i did in the 10 years i have been going else where. Dr. Atkins even made an appointment with myself on his day off. I have no complaints, other then i wish he was my full time Dr.

Submitted May 19, 2009 | flag

Dr Atkins is my Rheumatology (Arthritis) specialist and is treating me for an agressive Rheumatoid Arthritis. My GP diagnoised me quickly after I complained of wrist problems and with 3 months I met Dr Atkins. He had me on three sets of medicine's as we had to prove to MoH if treatment was working before we could go the next step in more agressive and expensive treatment. He was very quick to realize I needed the biological injection treatment and once I started HUMIRA, my condition improved such that I could walk without support and see my wrists without being swollen. One of the earlier set of medicine did cause me to be friends with my washroom in the morning and I could only venture out for the day in the afternoon. My mistake was not realizing I could call hin instead of waiting till my next 3 month followup. Once he heard, that was it , I was off the set. He has a great Clinician Leeanna who does a lot of his testing and instructions and his office staff are great.

Submitted Aug. 7, 2008 | flag

He is extremely empathetic, listens to you,and uses all resources effectively.

Submitted April 13, 2008 | flag

I have been his patient for 14 years and never regretted one minute. He is knowledgeable and makes sure you get the help you need. He will go out of his way for your well being. He researc hes all medications before he will prescrine for your condition. My visits at his office makes me feel I am visiting a friend,

Submitted Jan. 10, 2008 | flag

Helped me get my disability and find out what was wrong and how to treat it for life.

Submitted Jan. 10, 2008 | flag

Dr. Atkins saved my daughter's life. He went over and above the call of duty to get her good medical service and treatment and managed her case wonderfully. I will always have gratitude for him.

Submitted June 27, 2007 | flag