Dr. Maral Skelsey

Grad. Year: 1991

Answers Email: Unknown
Online Appt. Scheduling: Unknown
Accepting New Patients:Y

Profile updated 13/01/13    Submit profile update    Subscribe to profile updates

Rating: 4.5 out of 5 (5 is best), based on 22 reviews. Dr. Maral Skelsey has a good overall rating on RateMDs.com. smile

New! - Questions and answers about this doctor

Dermatologist-related: skin disease, warts, acne, rash, dermatitis, skin tumors, moles, skin cancer, psoriasis
The following ratings and comments have not been substantiated by RateMDs.com.
Date Staff Punctual Helpful Knowledge Review Comments

05/02/14 SYSTEM: 'birds of a feather' score (based on Medicare patients-in-common): 4.0
RID: 3601945
11/11/13 5 5 5 5 Dr. Skelsey removed a BCC from my cheek. It was so gently and beautifully done that even I can't tell there was anything there. It healed with no scar whatever. She is truly gifted. I have seldom been cared for so well.
RID: 2861619
18/09/13 5 5 5 5 Dr. Skelsey performed Mohs surgery on my elderly mother and I was very impressed with her practice. The office decor is bright, cheerful, and (for a medical facility) elegant. Dr. Skelsey's staff couldn't have been more kind and helpful. Mohs surgery involves a good deal of passing time in the lobby waiting for results so surroundings and amenities to pass the time are important. Ample magazines of all types were available and the staff regularly checked in with updates and offered cookies and juice. The surgical suite, too, was bright, clean, and spacious. The surgical team also was most kind.
RID: 2716196
23/07/13 5 3 5 5 Great practice. Mohs surgery is complicated and time-consuming and the waits can be longer than ideal, but it's worth it!
Insurance: CIGNA
RID: 2466318
05/11/12 5 5 5 5 Very good care, surgery leaves very, little if any, scaring. Very little pain. Highly reccommended.
RID: 2411810
27/08/12 1 3 1 2 Visited for full body screen and precancer on face. She's the typical Doc that's too busy to be thorough (she missed a visible precancer)& uses scare tactics to try to push patients into biopsies. Why not try non-surgical options before permanently scarring someones face? Educate yourself & research ALL options before letting doctors cut into you. Remember, you will have to live with any 'mistakes', not the doctor. The waiting area is way too bright(color & lighting). Do you really want to be on display if you have skin cancer or undergoing unsightly therapy on your face? Do you realize, you will be placed in the waiting room during your Mohs surgery? Also, some of the nursing staff lack basic knowledge on common prescribed meds (e.g. Solaraze). Remember, doctors are in the BUSINESS of selling health. And the skin cancer BUSINESS is very profitable. Caveat emptor.
RID: 2098352
02/05/12 5 5 5 5 Excellent dermatological office. Friendly and compassionate staff from the front desk to the physician's assistant. They physical offices are also bright, clean and cheery. Really a top notch medical operation.
RID: 2079634
23/04/12 5 5 5 5 My appointment was with her assistant, Dr. Mariella Purvis, who is also excellent.
Paid (or co-pay): $30
RID: 1714812
15/02/12 5 5 5 5 Dr. Skelsey was prompt in doing the surgery. She was pleasant and called me after the surgery to determine how I was doing and whether I had any questions or concerns. I just had the most recent surgery on this Tuesday but a previous surgery was very successful.  Respond
RID: 1714468
15/02/12 5 5 5 5 Fantastic Doctor - fantstic staff. Identified unusual melanoma missed by 2 previous dermatologists.
RID: 1714464
15/02/12 5 4 4 4 The desk staff and Mrs. Purvis were very friendly and put me at ease. They answered all my questions in a friendly and knowledgeable manner
Paid (or co-pay): $130
RID: 1712831
13/02/12 5 5 5 5 polite staff. very concerned about the patient's time.knowledgeable and through!
Insurance: United Healthcare
RID: 1709526
09/02/12 5 5 5 5 Ms. Pervis always thorough and staff very friendly and helpful.
Paid (or co-pay): $75
RID: 1641670
22/11/11 5 5 4 5 Ms. Pervis is knowledgeable. She developed an appropriate treatment plan for a 12 year old.
Paid (or co-pay): $20
RID: 1640943
21/11/11 5 4 5 5 After 18 years and 3 dermatologists treating me for recurrent basal cell cancer, I was referred to Dr. Skelsey for MOHS surgery. (Before that referral, I had ignored 2 colleagues who enthusiastically recommended her.) Dr. Skelsey is one of those rare doctors who treats the person and not simply the symptoms or the disease. Technically, she is top notch. She has now removed three areas of basal cell cancer from my face without leaving any scar--but what sets her apart is the sincere respect she shows her patients. My elderly husband accompanied me to one appt. & was so impressed by Dr. Skelsey and her staff that he decided to switch from his current (my former) MD. He has moderate dementia, and the morning of his first appt., he was very tired and grumpy. He needed to have many spots of actinic keratoses frozen. Dr. Skelsey was unfailingly kind and patient throughout his thorough exam and treatment. Kudos to P.A. Purvis, as well, for her skills and manner. We are now patients-for-life
Insurance: United Healthcare
RID: 1630682
10/11/11 5 4 5 5 Dr. Skelsey needs to add another doctor in her practice. It was impossible to get an appt (if no emergency) for 45 days starting December 15, 2010, and a Mohs surgical appt. took 1 month+ last month, after path report came in. The "standard" for my doctors in this area is "appt. in 2 weeks or less."  Respond
RID: 1627432
08/11/11 5 4 5 5 This practice accommodated me on short nootice when I was visiting DC and happened to notice a black mole on my back thanks to a hotel three way mirror. While my mole did not alarm them, they were kind and listened with compassion to my concern. Dr. Skelsey in my opinion represents calm professionalism and caring that makes this practice an excellent choice for treatment of any skin problem.  Respond
RID: 1552279
03/10/11 5 5 5 5 I have seen Dr. Skelsey for the past two years. She is intelligent, highly skilled, generous and thorough. I highly recommend her.  Respond
RID: 1492708

21/07/11 1 1 1 1 Dr. Skelsey is an alarmist. She will recommend expensive, invasive procedures for unwarranted reasons all with a terrible attitude. She does not take your personal life into account and doesn't even bother reading your chart before she acts as your "doctor." Take your business elsewhere. Everyone deserves an honest, professional, well-mannered physician.
RID: 1487103
14/07/11 2 1 2 3 Waited 7 weeks to see Dr. Skelsey, only to have her spend 4 minutes to give a cursory examination, toss out medical terms without explanation, then walk out without looking back. Her receptionist is unfriendly, and there was a 40 minute inside the office without an apology from anyone on her staff.
RID: 685411
16/09/08 4 4 5 4 Cannot get an appointment for 2+ months. Finding a new dermatologist.
RID: 643937
21/07/08 3 4 5 5 Dr. Skelsey is a great doctor and her medical staff was wonderful as well. Her office staff had a habit of yelling on the phone and was often upset with customers. But don't let that keep you from seeing the Dr. Would recommend.
RID: 54721
06/11/06 5 5 5 Dr. Skelsey was wonderful to me and my family. I think she is a GENIOUS! She diagnosed my father's condition that was not even related to the skin problem that she was treating, and I think ultimatley saved his life. If not added years to it. And this just from her asking us questions that his regular physician never did! She is warm and caring, and takes as much time with us, and our endless questions about our skin problems, as is needed. She is a real find. I would recommend Dr. Skelsey without hesitation!
* - Rating left by a registered user