You may also like

Rate Dr. Richard Chan

Dr. Richard Chan's Ratings

Both my brother and myself have had our backs operated on by Dr. Chan. I have had one surgery and my brother has had two. It was a very long wait list to get an appointment, but as my condition worsened, Dr Chan fit me in much sooner. He is not all squishy and sympathetic as we would like all our Drs to be, but he is a genius in his field. Hopefully I will never need surgery again, but if I do, I will not see anyone except Dr Chan.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2807566].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 14, 2015

I AM AN INJURED WORKER LIVING IN PRINCE GEORGE BC. I ATTENDED TWO SCHEDULED APPOINTMENTS WITH CHAN AT THE RICHMOND WCB CLINIC. HIS MEDICAL DIAGNOSTIC REPORTS TO WORKSAFE BC CONTRADICTED OUR CONVERSATIONS. WORDING IN HIS REPORTS CHANGED AND SPECIFIC DETAILS APPEARED TO BE CONVENIENTLY LEFT- OUT. THE CONDUCT OF THIS DOCTOR IS SUSPICIOUS AND HAS PROMPTED A PUBLIC CONCERN REGARDING INJURED WORKER WCB CLAIMS. ANY INJURED WORKERS WITH EXISISTING WCB CLAIMS SHOULD EXERCISE CAUTION WITH CHAN. I WOULD RECOMMEND RECORDING ANY AND ALL CONVERSATIONS WITH THIS INDIVIDUAL. IF YOU HAVE ANY CONCERNS REGARDING PROFESSIONAL CONDUCT REFER TO THE COLLEGE OF PHYSICIANS AND SURGEONS OF BRITISH COLUMBIA WEBSITE. CLICK ON-ADVERTISING AND COMMUNICATION WITH THE PUBLIC-CONFLICT OF INTEREST-CODE OF ETHICS AND THE HEALTH PROFESSIONALS ACT. IF YOU HAVE ANY CONCERNS REGARDING OTHER PHYSICIANS (MEDICAL ADVISORS) INVOLVED WITH WORKSAFE B.C. REGARDING THEIR INVOLVEMENT WITH DECISSION LETTERS DRAFTED BY CASE WORKERS...IMMEDIATLY REPORT ANY SUSPICIOUS BEHAVIOR TO THE COLLEGE OF PHYSICIANS AND SURGEONS OF B.C. THERE ARE CURRENTLY SEVERAL PENDING INVESTIGATIONS INTO WORKSAFE B.C. BUSINESS PRACTICES THAT ARE FOCUSSED ON DIRECT LINKS TO UNCONSCIONABLE TREATMENT OF INJURED WORKERS BY WORKSAFE B.C. CAUSATION OF INJURED WORKER SUICIDES IS ALSO ALLEGEDLY LINKED TO WORKSAFE B.C. PREMEDITATED- DELIBERATE METHODS-POLICIES AND BUSINESS PRACTICES. WOW DOES THIS HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH PROTECTING THEIR 70 BILLION DOLLAR BANK ACCOUNT...!!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2798362].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 5, 2015

I WOULD DO ANYTHING FOR THIS DOCTOR. I TOOK A BRAIN IMPACT THAT CAUSED MASSIVE TRAMITIC BRAIN DAMAGE. HE FIXED ME AND SAID ID MAKE 100 PERCENT FULL RECOVERY, WHICH ILL HAVE TO WORK AT A LITTLE BUT NOTHING COMPARED TO HIS SCHOOLING, EXPERIENCE,SKILL....IM SERVED....HES A FINE TUNNING RACE MACHANIC, NOT THE WASH BOY! .....IF YA REQUIRE SPECIAL BED TIME SISSY GENTLE TALK, GO TO STARBUCKS WITH A BANK CARD, BUT YOUR NOT WANTING TO HEAR WHAT HE CASH PEOPLE ARE THINKING...... " HERES 2 BUCKS, I NEED A DARK". CONSIDERING THE CONDITION OF THE SOLDIER FROM THE AXE ATTACK, IM SURE GLAD I GOT CHAN! A DOCTOR THAT RECIEVES FLY INS FROM ALBERTA!

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2744131].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 7, 2015

The guy is a complete d#$k before he examined me he already told my fiance what his opinion was about my injury. He did surgery on my back 2 years ago and he was a d$%k then as well. He is a Wcb puppet as he has no other patients and what's with the three stooges hair cut I can't wait to meet him on the streets and give him a piece of my mind

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2717741].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 11, 2015

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2491914].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 11, 2014

I was referred to Dr. Chan and I was very worried to see him b/c of some of the comments on here about his bedside manner. I have to say I had such a positive experience. I didn't have an appt. but Dr's were worried that I had Cauda Equina Syndrome and that is very serious. Anyway, there was no appt's for months but b/c this is a condition that can paralyze you he made sure to fit me in. He came straight from surgery to his office. He's efficient, thorough and answered all of my questions without hesitation.I'm not thin but he did not belittle me b/c I have a few pounds to lose.Happy news is I do not need surgery but if I did, this is the guy I'd want to do it. You're in good hands, and he even smiled at me twice during the appointment.We're lucky to have this guy in BC!! :-)

Was this rating useful? 4 [[ userState['ratings'][2456772].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 8, 2014

I had a cyst (benign tumor). It was my choice to either disregard it or have it removed from my head. I was told that if it was not removed and became cancerous it would spread into the sinuses and there would be nothing the doctors could do to remove it. I agreed to the surgery. The doctors were very quick in scheduling the surgery within a month and removing the cyst. I have had a scan every year for the past five year to ensure the benign tumor has not come back. After the first two years Dr. Chan could have said no more scans. But he went above and beyond his job to ensure that I am free and clear of a cancerous tumor. He really listens to his patients and he really cares about the well being of each patient. This man is saving lives. He should be acknowledged for the work he does.

Was this rating useful? 2 [[ userState['ratings'][2456771].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 24, 2014

Somewhat strange set-up. Staff do not start until 9AM but office opens up at 7:30, with Dr. Chan there alone. Very matter of fact, unemotional delivery of his services. Would have preferred a somewhat more concise recommendation. Seems knowledgeable, no pressure to make a decision. Gives you options.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1909466].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 14, 2013

Ok we realize Dr, Chan doesn't get his hair cut but did you realize he let's it grow for a year then gets it cut and gives it quietly to the locks of love foundation that makes wigs for cancer patients? He just did a replacement shunt on me as the one I had imploded in my brain after only three years, symptoms were gone immediately then two weeks later the symptoms returned I was urgently called by Dr. Chan and ended up in the emergency room right away and I was operated on that night and I wanted out the next day and he asked me are you sure and I told him I would really take it easy this time so he released me. Almost immediately the symptoms disappeared and my brain is slowly beginning to calm down. in reality I should have been dead 5 years ago when all this started, I will have this condition for the rest of my life and if it entails putting a shunt in every couple of years no problem I want this man to do it.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][1909465].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 20, 2013

Dr. Chan lifted me from a life of absolute misery and pain caused by my leaking disc pressing downward on my left sciatic nerve. He assured me that he could relieve this excruciating pain with his surgical intervention and I trusted him to do so based on others I knew he had successfully treated. The clinic staff were 100% supportive of him and I now know why. He has a superior competency unlike I had even imagined. He completely relieved my sciatic pain and I am now probably 99% pain free in that area. He made a point of describing the likelihood of complications, including paralysis. He also was the one and only doctor to ever diagnose a serious birth defect in my spine and advised me that he could not help me in this area, but he certainly explained why I had suffered from this deformity for the past 35+ years. Overall, I would rate Dr. Chan as the best surgeon I've ever needed to assist me with my life health plan. Fantastic and professional in two short words. The best!

Was this rating useful? 2 [[ userState['ratings'][1909464].votes_count ]]