Rate Dr. Richard Chan

Dr. Richard Chan's Ratings

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2491914].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 11, 2014

I was referred to Dr. Chan and I was very worried to see him b/c of some of the comments on here about his bedside manner. I have to say I had such a positive experience. I didn't have an appt. but Dr's were worried that I had Cauda Equina Syndrome and that is very serious. Anyway, there was no appt's for months but b/c this is a condition that can paralyze you he made sure to fit me in. He came straight from surgery to his office. He's efficient, thorough and answered all of my questions without hesitation.I'm not thin but he did not belittle me b/c I have a few pounds to lose.Happy news is I do not need surgery but if I did, this is the guy I'd want to do it. You're in good hands, and he even smiled at me twice during the appointment.We're lucky to have this guy in BC!! :-)

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2456772].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 8, 2014

I had a cyst (benign tumor). It was my choice to either disregard it or have it removed from my head. I was told that if it was not removed and became cancerous it would spread into the sinuses and there would be nothing the doctors could do to remove it. I agreed to the surgery. The doctors were very quick in scheduling the surgery within a month and removing the cyst. I have had a scan every year for the past five year to ensure the benign tumor has not come back. After the first two years Dr. Chan could have said no more scans. But he went above and beyond his job to ensure that I am free and clear of a cancerous tumor. He really listens to his patients and he really cares about the well being of each patient. This man is saving lives. He should be acknowledged for the work he does.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2456771].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 24, 2014

Somewhat strange set-up. Staff do not start until 9AM but office opens up at 7:30, with Dr. Chan there alone. Very matter of fact, unemotional delivery of his services. Would have preferred a somewhat more concise recommendation. Seems knowledgeable, no pressure to make a decision. Gives you options.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1909466].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 14, 2013

Ok we realize Dr, Chan doesn't get his hair cut but did you realize he let's it grow for a year then gets it cut and gives it quietly to the locks of love foundation that makes wigs for cancer patients? He just did a replacement shunt on me as the one I had imploded in my brain after only three years, symptoms were gone immediately then two weeks later the symptoms returned I was urgently called by Dr. Chan and ended up in the emergency room right away and I was operated on that night and I wanted out the next day and he asked me are you sure and I told him I would really take it easy this time so he released me. Almost immediately the symptoms disappeared and my brain is slowly beginning to calm down. in reality I should have been dead 5 years ago when all this started, I will have this condition for the rest of my life and if it entails putting a shunt in every couple of years no problem I want this man to do it.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1909465].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 20, 2013

Dr. Chan lifted me from a life of absolute misery and pain caused by my leaking disc pressing downward on my left sciatic nerve. He assured me that he could relieve this excruciating pain with his surgical intervention and I trusted him to do so based on others I knew he had successfully treated. The clinic staff were 100% supportive of him and I now know why. He has a superior competency unlike I had even imagined. He completely relieved my sciatic pain and I am now probably 99% pain free in that area. He made a point of describing the likelihood of complications, including paralysis. He also was the one and only doctor to ever diagnose a serious birth defect in my spine and advised me that he could not help me in this area, but he certainly explained why I had suffered from this deformity for the past 35+ years. Overall, I would rate Dr. Chan as the best surgeon I've ever needed to assist me with my life health plan. Fantastic and professional in two short words. The best!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1909464].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 19, 2013

I was a WCB patient with Dr. Chan for over a year. Prior to that was a patient of his since '08. Just wanted to echo people's feedback in regards to his very abrupt manner in which he would speak to you, which I tolerated for quite a while, thinking that he was a fair person and good surgeon. To my surprise, my last visit early this year, I was shocked to see how he behaved with us. He totally refused to have a look at my most recent MRI scan from May 2012 and kept looking at the one from Mar 2011, and kept insisting on there being no changes, even though there have been changes over the past year. In addition to that, he just refused to answer any of our queries and just kept responding with an answer of - I DO NOT KNOW, YOU HAVE TO FIND OUT FOR YOURSELF. This seemed most unprofessional for a Dr of his caliber. It seemed like he was there with a purpose in mind. I am still in excruciating pain. Dr.Chan has lost all respect in my eyes, and I would never recommend anyone to go see him.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1909467].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 1, 2012

Dr. Chan came into my mother's life when we took her to emergency and found out that she had a brain tumor which had metasticized from her breast cancer. Dr. Chan had explained to Mom (when I was in the room with her) all about the surgery, where the tumor was located, what to expect, what will happen after the surgery, etc. He sat with us an answered every single question we had, was very patient and understanding. My Mom was on blood thinners at the time so Dr. Chan explained that Mom had to wait a few days for the surgery because the blood thinners had to be out of her system. He came to see my Mom every day before the surgery to make sure that she was still confident that she wanted the surgery. He took his time with her. He answered all questions. He didn't just shake my mom's hand - he held both of her hands in his as a gesture of compassion. Dr. Chan has a very dry sense of humor. If you don't get him - you'll think he's a jerk. He's not. He's a rock star!!!

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][1909463].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 23, 2012

this is the best nuero surgeon hands down!!! He lnows his stuff! He did surgery on 2 herniated discs and I am at 98 percent!!!! he is very quick when he sees you but he knows his stuff! hell be straight up and tell you yes or no to surgery! he does hundreds of surgerys a week.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][1909462].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 8, 2012

With the help of God, this Surgeon saved our son's life in April 2010. Our son had 2 major brain hemorrhages simultaneously and death was imminent or if he survived, be a vegetable. His bed side manner was pretty blunt in emergency but his knowledge and skill is 2nd to none. I watched him come by every night at 6 pm at RCH when many others did not. I am thankful we have Doctors like this. God bless him!!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1909461].votes_count ]]