Dr. Marilou Terpenning

Grad. Year: 1976

Answers Email: Unknown
Online Appt. Scheduling: Unknown
Accepting New Patients:Y

Rating: 4.4 out of 5 (5 is best), based on 14 reviews. Dr. Marilou Terpenning has a good overall rating on RateMDs.com. smile

New! - Questions and answers about this doctor

Oncologist / Hematologist-related: cancer, lymphoma, anemia, sickle cell, breast cancer, lung cancer, melanoma, leukemia, blood disease, tumors, radiation, chemotherapy, CML
The following ratings and comments have not been substantiated by RateMDs.com.
Date Staff Punctual Helpful Knowledge Review Comments

09/05/14 SYSTEM: 'birds of a feather' score (based on Medicare patients-in-common): 2.9
RID: 5185933
16/02/14 5 5 5 5 Our family will never be able to thank you for all you did for our Gail. She loved you with all her heart and I am sure she will see you again in heaven.
RID: 2875352
24/09/13 5 5 5 5 excellent doctor she kept me alive she do her job very well she keep up with all her new meds
Insurance: Medicare
RID: 2474761
14/11/12 1 1 1 1 I traveled 1.5 hours to see the doctor. When I arrived, her staff told me she refused to see me because my secondary insurance was BCCTP (Medi-Cal). I asked them to please let her know how far I had traveled. Her staff came back after discussing this with her and said she still would not see me. I was exhausted and humiliated! She could have given me a free consultation and sent me on my way. Other oncologists in the area gave me a free consultation. Additionally, no one on her staff told me in advance that she didn't accept the BCCTP program as secondary insurance, and since I'm new to Medi-Cal I didn't think to ask. I couldn't believe how I was treated.
RID: 1663545
16/12/11 5 5 5 5 Dr. Marilou Terpenning is one of the most highly respected oncologists in practice. She consults with and is consulted by the top research oncologists in the world; she is a regular participant in national and international conferences, panels and studies, all of which has benefited my treatment directly. When other medical specialists learn that I am under the care of Dr. Terpenning, I am regularly greeted with the remark: "Marilou Terpenning is the smartest doctor I know." Dr. Terpenning's nursing staff and office staff are caring, efficient, discreet and wholly professional. Her junior partners at Santa Monica Hematology Oncology Associates are first-rate. This is because Dr. Terpenning is the leader - the mind heart and soul - of this superb medical practice. Marilou Terpenning, saved my life - not just once but twice (breast cancer and a blood disorder); she is a superlative physician who will minister to you with consummate medical expertise, human warmth and deep compassion.
RID: 1437481
10/05/11 1 1 1 3 Did not appreciate having to wait 2 1/2 hrs to see her, even tho had an appt. Pay your own parking. Office desk open to waiting room, listened to all conversations regarding other patients. Office is shoddy. Consultation took another hour as she continually walked out of exam room in mid-conversation. Found her to be very intelligent...but over-bearing, bossy, and quite rude. Her talk was a non-stop stream. She didn't talk down ...just around and around me with all kinds of irrelevant and repetitious statements without focus. Unable to ask a question unless I interrupted her. Seemed irritated and offended by my questioning. I felt she was a controlling, alarmist who really had nothing to offer but what I had already presented to her. She has no real speciality within oncology, but is probably ok for the general treatment of common oncological problems. I do not recommend, unless you can deal with this type of personality, or really need a specialist within oncology.  See Responses
RID: 1117066
28/02/10 5 5 5 5 Such a helpful, considerate individual. She listens and speaks with you at your comfort level. Knowledgeable and not condescending. She is there for you and helps you work toward your own goals.
RID: 606254
03/06/08 5 4 5 5 This doctor saves lives on a daily basis. I would not be here today (12 years post cancer) if she was not my oncologist. She has the most up-to-date information on cancer treatment and prevention. She is thorough,conscientious, comprehensive, honest, sincere, intuitive and willing to go to any length to provide the best care for her patients. She does not miss anything and is as passionate about saving lives today, as she was when I met her 12 years ago. In addition, she has a hard working, compassionate staff that mirror her commitment to the best treatment anyone could ask for.
RID: 519495
20/02/08 5 5 5 5 Highly skilled, best organized, calmest, and most empathetic oncologist in town. She has excellent communication skills, she is very honest, and she is very patient. She is, simply, the best. If only all MDs were this competent.
RID: 269578
10/04/07 5 5 5 Up to date and considerate. This doctor is able to explain and empathize. A great physician and resource.
RID: 163986
01/03/07 5 3 3 Very intersting but seemed cold and detached. Does this person have any feelings?
Paid (or co-pay): $10000
RID: 15694
29/11/05 4 5 5 Humanistic and knowledgable. Does not sugarcoat, does not talk down to you. The consummate professional.  Respond
RID: 11575
30/08/05 5 5 5 Great doctor. She is very intelligent and doesn't miss a thing.
RID: 7207
05/05/05 5 5 5 Great doctor! She was very patient and communicative and works with you around your comfort level. She isnt pushing her agenda, but working for you!  Respond
RID: 387
20/05/04 3 5 5 Great doctor, this lady saves lives. You'll be lucky if you can get in to see her.