Rate Joanna McAbee

Joanna McAbee's Ratings

I personally had good a experience with Dr. Maccabee. She help me to get through a horrific time in my life. She talked to me and actully listen Explained what I was going through, with reassurance that everything would be ok with Treatment and counseling

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2595535].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 27, 2014

Wow, I guess my horrible experience wasn't an isolated incident! This nurse (yes, nurse, not a doctor) spent 25 out of our 30 minutes talking about her career, and was hostile and rude when I called back with questions. She has a severe inferiority complex about not being a real doctor, ie. someone with an M.D. (and when you think about it shouldn't an M.D. be required to prescribe psychiatric drugs?). When I asked for the name of her collaborating physician, she said "he's not my dad, you can't tattle to him." Avoid this charlatan quack at all costs and see someone who bothered getting a real eduction before purporting to be a medical professional. I wonder how much medical harm she's done to patients that thought they'd be seeing an actual doctor for their $200 (see other reviews that mention drastic medication adjustments, etc.). As an aside their waiting room is chock full of Bibles, that should have been a huge red flag in hindsight.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][30780].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 23, 2014

Wow! My experience was similar to others posted here. Joanna decided I was bipolar after a 45-min chat and presribed heavy drugs to me as well. When I returned to let her know I felt the diagnosis was incorrect, I would not take the meds, and tried to discuss alternatives, she became upset with me, too, and basically showed me to the door suggesting I work with someone else. But not before recommending I work with a drug rehab center to get off the Xanax I've taken for years. Through my own internet research, I found an alternative for Xanax and got a prescription from my PCP for 30 days. Now I have to find another psychiatrist to continue working with but it won't be Joanna! BTW, she's leaving the practice to teach at VCU. I hope her students have more common sense than she does!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][30779].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 27, 2013

After 45 minutes of mild proactive needs, a prescription for a heavy mind altering drug was prescribed with out much information on what the effects and changes would be. My concerns were met with hostility and basically told to go elsewhere if I didn't want that plan. Please research your options and meds before taking them. Coming off of them can be painful and they may not help assist with it.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][30778].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 13, 2013

I really like Joanna. She listened to everything I had to say and she didn't judge me. She prescribed medicine and I have a follow-up appointment. Seemed like an extremely caring person. I could tell her what was going on and not feel like I was a bad person. VERY important!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][30777].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 18, 2013

While I have never been to a hospital nor have I seen a psychiatrist before, I've been very pleased with Joanna. She definitely takes the time to talk to you, listen to what you're saying and discuss the medicines she's giving, the reasons and possible effects. I've never found her to be more than 5 minutes late and while she doesn't spend a ton of time with me, I don't expect her to. That's the reason I have a counselor to listen to all the crazy thoughts in my head. Joanna definitely does seem to take an interest in me, whats going on and why I may feel a certain way. Rather than automatically adjusting my medicines she suggests other ways to help with the feelings/anxiety.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][30776].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 15, 2013

She was recommended by "exit interview" from Tuckers. She spent over an hour during my first visit. I think it's like all psychiatrist-related professionals: you either click or you don't. She has tweaked and changed some of my meds but nothing drastic. She breaks out "her book" to show me what is said about a med, not to learn about t. She has been the only person in the field that explains to me how the meds interact with each and with other meds I take for other conditions. She's never on time - I don't expect her to be just like I don't expect any other doctor to be. I walk with a walker - the office staff have never helped me up the badly-positioned and steep ramp or held open the door as they see me struggle with it.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][30775].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 11, 2013

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][30774].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 30, 2013

I had to wait 30 minutes to be seen by her and then once I did see her she basically just looked at the list of medicines I was taking, and the notes of a different psychiatrist NP. After reading these she decided by diagnosis was wrong and wanted to change all of my medicines. At this point I had been out of Tuckers psych ward less than 24hrs and she wanted to just start over. She barely ever gave me a chance to speak and was very condescending. I have been seeing a therapist for 3 years and have seen 2 different doctors at Tuckers and none of them have ever diagnosed anything other than Major Depressive Disorder but after like 15 minutes McAbee wanted to change my diagnosis to Bipolar. I found her very rude and judgmental and impossible to talk to. Needless to say I will never be going back to her.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][30773].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 17, 2013

She was very rude and made me cry. I also did not have my prescriptions called in in a timely manner.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][30772].votes_count ]]