Dr. Ara J. Deukmedjian

Grad. Year: 1997

Answers Email: Unknown
Online Appt. Scheduling: Unknown
Accepting New Patients:Y

Rating: 4.5 out of 5 (5 is best), based on 31 reviews. Dr. Ara J. Deukmedjian has an excellent overall rating on RateMDs.com. smile

New! - Questions and answers about this doctor

Neurosurgeon-related: nervous system, cervical and lumbar spine problems, brain tumors, neurovascular problems, peripheral nerve problems, neurological surgery, brain and spinal cord tumors, skull-base surgery, brachytherapy, aneurysm surgery, epilepsy surgery, neurological surgery
The following ratings and comments have not been substantiated by RateMDs.com.
Date Staff Punctual Helpful Knowledge Review Comments

30/03/14 SYSTEM: 'birds of a feather' score (based on Medicare patients-in-common): 4.2
RID: 3632954
16/12/13 5 5 5 5 What I liked most was how everyone was pleasant and helpful at the facility  Respond

21/11/13 SYSTEM: new location added: Melbourne, FL

20/10/13 SYSTEM: First Name changed from "Ara" to "Ara J."

20/06/13 "Judges opinion" - http://news.zurichna.com/article/ad00bb01f259f8ea39e...  Respond

31/03/13 SYSTEM: 2 positive duplicate or disallowed ratings automatically removed
RID: 2553923
07/02/13 5 5 5 5 This was the second surgery Dr. Deuk performed on me. He did my back in 2009 and my neck in December 2012. After the excellent results, walking ,golfing ,skiing no pain,when I needed to find out what was wrong with my neck, I of course went to Dr. Deuk. I had 5 ruptured disks in my neck and they were pressing on my spinal column. Surgery needed to be done soon, I found this out on Nov 15 th and had the surgery on December 4th. Surgery went well at 9:30 in morning and I was home by 6:00 that evening with 8 screws in my neck. I went back to work and driving after two weeks. I am doing wonderful and enjoying physical therapy. I have no pain. When someone asks I tell them there is no greater Doctor than Doctor Ara Deukmedjian. He is the best!
Insurance: Aetna
RID: 1548539
07/02/13 5 3 5 5 Dr.Deuk and his staff are very compassionate and sincere. I had very complicated medical situation, which was caused by another Surgeon. Which went horribly wrong. Upon my first visit to Dr.Deuk he was willing to help me. Dr.Deuk saved my life with surgery. Dr.Deuk gave me a 50/50% chance of not being totally paralyzed. Dr.Deuk along with his surgical tech Augusto were able to achieve the nearly impossible, it was very complicated and took twice the time of a single level fusion to repair the previous surgical damage. I was able to walk, talk, swallow better soon after recovery. The hardest part of my surgery was the waiting and worry for my wife. We thanked Dr. Deuk, he was very humble stating that it was his job, then he gave my wife and both hugs. He and his staff made us feel like family, from the start. My GP referred me to Dr.Deukmedjian as she felt that Dr.Deuk was the only qualified in Central Florida that could and would help me with my complicated problems. We do not have any regrets.
RID: 2503461
17/12/12 5 5 5 5 I was very fortunate to to find Dr.Duek and his staff. I am 36 with a family and I was suffering from debilitating as a pain as a result of 2 herniated disks. For back problems and pain I can tell you Dr.Duek and his staff are one of the best in the field! We tried several conservative approaches and after they did not work I elected to have surgery. After just two weeks 95% of all pain symptoms are gone!! I expect a full recovery. He is very knowledgeable and is careful to perform proper procedures only operating when/how necessary. There is also a lot of experience on his staff to further make him a surgeon/staff of choice. I am very happy with my outcome and highly suggust you try him if you have back pain. There are few negatives but the only thing I will say is I am still working to get insurance to pay for this procedure but this I think is more an insurance problem and Dr.Duek tries to help you every way possible. One of the best doctor's I ever had and very helpful, thank you thank you!!!!
Insurance: United Healthcare
RID: 2274123
20/06/12 5 4 5 5 Dr. Deuk, Dr. Patel, and Dr. Jeong along with their staff from the front desk with Carmen, to the medical assistants, Julie, Brigette,Sonia, Amy, Kevin, George, Pam, Karen, and Pam along with anyone I may have missed, have all been extremely professional, personable, as well as compassionate. I have been seeing the doctors since late 2009 for treatment related to cervical and lumbar injuries and degenerative disc disease along with fibromyalgia. These doctors are very professional, knowledgeable and will spend all the time necessary to fully understand your personal needs. I didn't see a rating above for bedside manner...awesome! They have always been thorough in their explanation of treatment plans and choices along with truthfulness of what to expect from each procedure. Talking about an anatomy class!!! Dr. Patel? He too is very thorough, knowledgeable and compassionate. We are lucky to have such highly rated and professional doctors in our area. Thank you to all of their staff.
Paid (or co-pay): $25
See Responses
RID: 2238786
12/06/12 5 5 5 5 Dr. Deuk and his staff are incredible. Deuk Spine is a caring, professional operation, and does magical work in this difficult and uncertain field. They have made a customer (Patient) for life. I will be insisting my family come down, and recommending any of my friends come to Florida for their needed treatments. I will also be seeking Deuk Spine for all aftercare. I feel I have my life back, and they saved my life.
Respond

08/02/12 SYSTEM: 2 positive duplicate or disallowed ratings automatically removed
RID: 1660305
13/12/11 5 5 5 5 I was very satisfied with Dr.Deuk and his staff. They are all very professional and efficient in the handling of my case. Dr.Deuk and his staff tried every possible procedure before ultimately having a triple spinal fusion. I am 7 weeks out from surgery and I continue to improve each and every day. All pain that I was having prior to surgery was gone immediately. Thanks for a job well done.
RID: 1660268
13/12/11 5 5 5 5 OMG Dr. Deuk is my angel as well I will never change him for any other doctor will always go to him Dr. Deuk did my surgery and I couldn't be more happier I'm still recovering after it only being a month but its a process of healing he is such a pleasant doctor to be around with and his staff they make you feel important in every way a pain sufferer for 17+ years and seeing many doctors he is one of the best in the nation i stake my life on it if it wasnt for him I wouldnt had my surgery and i would still had been seeing dr after dr to no help and he and among other doctors found my problem the very first day i went to his office no beating around the bush he knows what he is doing and I thank him and his staff for what they have done for me you should go as well for any one that really need a wonderful doctor.
Insurance: Tricare
RID: 1660266
13/12/11 5 4 5 5 Explains things very well. Gives you all the time you need at your appointment. Runs late with the other aappointment
RID: 1660243
13/12/11 4 4 4 5 Surgery was excellent. No more leg pain. Recovery was much faster and pain free than expected
RID: 1564529

18/10/11 1 5 1 1 I was doing research before I had surgery on my neck, I wanted to avoid fusion if at all possible. I visited several sites on laser and Dr Deuk was the closest so I went to the Orlando office. Lets say they told me on the phone they took my insurance, and to come in for a Free consult. he bad mouthed my Dr. Then he told me the cost would be $40,000 upfront and he could give me a loan with a high percent, he stated people fly in from all over the world for his service and 40k was nothing compared to how he could fix me. I could not afford that kind of loan and walked out shocked how it went from covered to well give you a loan. I ended up having a fusion as this was the only way to fix my problem, though Laser spine institute would take my insurance after a small deductable, this was not an option. A year and a half later Dr Deuk sends me a bill for the consult, for almost $400 threatening to send it to collection if I dont pay. He is a Liar! Do not trust this Man!!  Respond
RID: 1552268
03/10/11 5 5 5 5 Through a twist of fate I came to Deuk Spine Institute for a consultation. I was instantly impressed. An extensive medical evaluation was performed on me. I had some serious medical issues that were causing the pain I had been experiencing for years, and the extreme pain I was experiencing most recently over the last several months. I was able to be scheduled quickly for surgery. While apprehensive about having surgery performed on my neck, Dr. Deuk provided me so much confidence that he made me at feel ease. I was able to go home the same day as surgery and was surprised that I was not in as much pain as just hours earlier. It is now just 6 weeks post laser discectomy and I feel great I do not have the numbness or extreme pain that I was experiencing when I came to see you two months ago. For the first time in the last few years I actually believe that I will be able to do all the things I have not been able to do, due to my injuries. Dr. Deuk gave me my life back. Gina
RID: 1551697
02/10/11 5 5 5 5 Dr. Deukmedjian is of the highest professionalism and level of skill in his field. He is a resource we should all be thankful to have available to our community. He is popular, and in high demand, so have patience in waiting for the best!
RID: 1550505
30/09/11 5 4 5 5 I am extremely grateful to Dr. Deukmedjian and his staff for the caring and proffessional way they have treated Me. I am a repeat patient, I had a cervical fusion in 2007 to correct a severe stenosis and in August of this year a lumbar fusion to correct a fracture. Both surgeries far exceeded my expectations. Dr. Deuk and his PA, Augusto, take the time to explain Your diagnosis and treatment options in terms that are understandable. Karen (surgical coordinator) sets up all your appointments ad followup visits, when You leave the Dr's office there is no guess work, You have a pamphlet with everything you need in it, prescriptions, appointments for any tests and follow up's. I would highly recommend Dr. Deukmedjian.
RID: 1534104

10/09/11 3 1 1 1 terrible judgement, doesn't communicate well, very eager to operate  See Responses
RID: 1523731
27/08/11 5 2 4 5 Deuk sp[ne institute as a whole is a strong, knowledgeable,technical, and professioal team. I have had epi's, SI's, discograms, laser surgery, and finally fusion L2 - S1. Through out all of this their pain management has been very helpful in having some quality of life during difficult time. Since my fusion my pain and ability to function has continually improve. They will in most cases recommend lest intrusive methods. The one thing that really impressed me (even with their egos)was when it was discovered by my neuroligist that I had a brain tumor. After he reviewed my MRI (he is a highly qualified neurosurgeon) he felt a recommended his mentor at Shands. His PAs are great along with the rest of the staff. I have absolutely recommending him and the whole team. Most office visits are after his hospital time where he spends his time with patients. This result in delays many times for two or three hours.  Respond
RID: 1461275
09/06/11 5 5 5 5 Dr Deuk proformed extensive back surgery on me May 9, 2011. The surgery was a success with only one complication of both my feet are swollen still. Dr. Deuk is very professional, extremely good bedside manor, and cares about you as a patient. One thing once you become his patient is you must listen to him and do what ever he tells you. Most back surgery patients do not follow instructions like they should and end up not back in the hospital because of something they did. Dr. Deuk and his staff make sure you follow his instuctions. I highly recomend The Deuk Spine Institute. If you are experinsing back or neck problems, It is worth it to see Dr. Deuk for an opinion.
RID: 1457481
05/06/11 5 5 5 5 I lost complete use of my leg over a months time. I was in unbearable pain and was in a wheelchair and found myself incapacitated. My wife had started seeing Dr. Deuk recently and loved him so she took me to see him. Within a month he performed surgery on my back (fusion of L4-5) and within a couple months it was like I never had a pain or back surgery. Dr. Deuk is an amazing doctor and he and every member of his staff is caring, compassionate, and professional. It is hard to find a doctor of his caliber. If you have back pain of any kind..go to the Deuk Spine Institute. You won't regret it!!
Respond

22/05/11 SYSTEM: 2 positive duplicate or disallowed ratings automatically removed
RID: 1435222
07/05/11 5 5 5 5 This letter is written to thank you for all you did to relieve the horrific pain in my lower back. I know the lumbar fusion was most difficult in my case, but your perseverance, dedication, and determination in making sure that I would be without pain or with less pain in my "Golden Years" certainly was an outstanding tribute to your professionalism and the beautiful person you are inside and out. Special kudos also goes to your associates. Dr. Deuk, you are a very special person God chose to help others. You are the best and continued success in all your future endeavors. Sincerely, Evelyn
RID: 1433331
05/05/11 5 4 5 5 I would like to thank Dr. Deukmedjian for caring for me during my neck surgery. The procedure was handles with care and compassion. I felt totally at ease in his care. His prime concern is to relieve pain for his patients. The staff are very kind and a joy to work with. My wife thanks him as well since I am no longer a cranky. Keep up the good work!
RID: 1430710
02/05/11 5 5 5 5 Jack had laser surgery at Deuk Spine Institute in march, 2011. They cut off the herniated part of the disc and removed some bone spurs. They did all of this through a tiny 1/4 in incision in the neck. It took three hours--one hour of preperation, one hour to perform the surgery and one hour for recovery. Jack went home the same day and was driving the next day. the pain is gone and Jack feels great. Jack would highly recommend Dr Deukmedjian and the Deuk Spine Institute to anyone.  Respond
RID: 1391589
19/03/11 5 5 5 5 I like the way the doctor and assistants explained everything thoroughly. They take the time to sit an listen. I have already given other people information about your clinic!
RID: 1385914
12/03/11 5 5 5 5 I really enjoy coming to this office because everyone makes me feel like family. Everyone works hard to make my day pleasant even though I know I am not the only patient. Thanks for all you do. Keep up the good work. Iris
Respond

06/10/10 SYSTEM: 3 positive duplicate or disallowed ratings automatically removed
RID: 1129789
17/03/10 2 1 1 4 I waited 40 minutes for an appointment and when I asked to reschedule due to another commitment I had to leave for, I was informed that I would be charged a no show/48 hour cancellation fee of 50$. I cannot believe that they are charging me to wait around on them. I am a busy (younger) patient that has time commitments elsewhere. Not a retiree that has the whole day open for Dr. Appts (no offense). I will not return to this office and do not recommend. They lack understanding and empathy regarding their patience time and money. I have never had this happen to me at any doctor offices. They are usually very understanding of needing to reschedule if they are the ones behind. Unprofessional is all I can say. Very disappointed with this practice, I will be looking for a different Doctor.
Insurance: Aetna
RID: 957266
07/08/09 3 1 5 5 Okay Dr. Deuk has no concept of time. PERIOD. He has never been on time for an appointment yet and that is infuriating, HOWEVER he is always behind because he takes time with his patients. He is no assembly line doctor, but a real live OLD SCHOOL physician who does excellent work. His bedside manner is a cross between a pit bull and Simon Cowell, but he is cool and very very good at what he does.
Insurance: Veterans Administration
Respond

18/03/09 SYSTEM: 3 positive duplicate or disallowed ratings automatically removed

14/01/09 SYSTEM: 3 positive duplicate or disallowed ratings automatically removed
RID: 712909
30/10/08 5 5 5 5 After many 15 years of excruciating pain in my neck, seeing countless doctors, finally I was referred to seek medical help from DR. Duekmedjian. I had problems in the C3-4, 4-5 .At my first visit I knew I found the right doctor to do the surgery. He was very honest and up front with me. He mentioned that if he did my surgery he could not promise me 100% recovery due to the arthritis, but he could get the pressure off my spinal cord to relieve the symptoms of the numbness going down my arms and hands. The days prior to getting ready for surgery the staff at Dr. Deukmedjian’s kept me very informed and the hospital staff was great too.. I am post op 2 years now and I have feeling once again in my arms and hands after 15 years. I will choose Dr. Duekmedjian to do my back surgery as well when I am ready. He is very good at what he does; I would recommend him to all of my friends and family.  Respond
RID: 703243
16/10/08 5 5 5 5 I would not be walking today if it were not for Dr. Deuk. While I was in Parrish Medical Center, Dr. Padillo called in Dr. Deuk to see my CAT Scans. Dr. Deuk ordered more tests the day I was to be released from Parrish. Within three days, Dr. Deuk operated on my C2-7, and I went home four days later with minimal pain. The physical therapists came to my home, and Robert, Dr. Deuk's assistant, called to check on me. Though I was out of work for five weeks, I could use all limbs without pain, could walk without a walker, cycle, climb stairs, etc. He gave me my life back, and all he said to my words of gratitude was "Thank you; just doing what I love to do." Thank God for doctors like him! As you can read, I highly recommend this doctor, his assistant, and his office staff.
RID: 622039
20/06/08 2 2 4 5 Really lays it out there for you with no sugar-coating. If you want an honest answer, he is the doctor for you. His surgical assistant is wonderful and compassionate (easier to talk to). Office waits were long and appointments difficult to get at certain times.  Respond
RID: 615605

17/06/08 1 1 2 3 TERRIBLE BEDSIDE MANNER. VERY ARROGANT YOUNG MAN WOULD NEVER RECCOMEND THI SO CALLED DOCTOR TO ANYONE. MY VETERINARIAN WOULD HAVE BEEN BETTER SUITED TO DOING THE SURGERY  Respond
RID: 383512
10/08/07 5 3 5 5 What a wonderful doctor! I would recommend him to anyone and everyone. He let you know exactly what to expect.
RID: 42377
25/08/06 5 5 5 Considered one of the best in his field. Very knowledgeable and surgery went exactly as he had told me. Absolutely no pain whatsoever from the actual surgery (relaced lower 3 cervical discs). Done late in afternoon and dischared by 9:00 the next morning. Up and walking 4 hours after surgery. Only aftereffect was sore throat from being entibated. Would reccommend him to anyone. He was informative as to what he could do and also as to what the consequences would be if I didn't have the surgery necessary to correct my condition. My symptoms were gone immediately following surgery. Again, would not hesitate to reccommend him to anyone.
* - Rating left by a registered user