Rate Dr. Fergal Donnellan

Dr. Fergal Donnellan's Ratings

I have seend Dr Donnellan a few times now. I also felt that he was very friendly and helpful at first. But I kind of feel like he doesn't take my concerns very seriously. He sits and speaks with you mostly, no examine at all. Just some free stool softeners! WOO! :|
But after being diagnosed with Celiac, he said he would refer me to a nutritionist. That ever happened, but I did receive my own referral form in the mail...???? I called his office and they told me it was sent to me in error, ignore it.
And most recently (Sept 2014) , I came back to him with continued digestive issues. He said he set up an appointment for a scope thingy. A month later, still waiting to hear about an appointment, I called his office, they said they still had me on the wait list, they were booking into November. I called back last week (Feb 2015) because likely they had forgotten about me, and they set me up for an appointment next week. So yeah, probably just a disorganized office, but not my favourite doctor to see.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2721269].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 13, 2015

Dr. Donnellan was referred to me by my Oncologist at BCCA. The first appointment was good, he is quite "down-to-earth" and I found him to be knowledgeable and professional while being very easy to talk to.....a week after that appointment he performed a gastroscopy at UBC Hospital. I couldn't guarantee that someone would be able to pick me up so the nurses told me my only option was to go "no anesthetic". I was reluctant but they assured me that it would be okay and I went ahead. It's not very nice but it's no big deal either, went really smoothly, no gagging or choking. Dr. Donnellan talked me through the whole thing...really put me at ease. He and the staff there really made me feel cared for....the next thing I knew I was walking out of there. I am very happy with Dr. Donnellan.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2632065].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 25, 2014

All around great doctor. Right to the point. Asked what seemed to be appropriate questions. Had a clearly explained plan for arriving at a diagnosis, and followed through on that quite quickly. Had an endoscopy with him that went very smoothly. Was partly sedated and never felt a thing (other than the IV from the nurse, which was no big deal). Great follow up. He and his support staff returned calls in a totally reasonable time frame.

Always amazed with some of the inappropriate negative comments people leave. I think maybe they forget that medicine is like rocket science, only a lot more complicated. Someone noted issues with sugar and a recommended diet - sounds like they have diabetes, and should maybe be reviewing their recommended diet with them - do they think a GI doctor is somehow also a diabetes doctor? I'm sure its hard enough to become a specialist in 1 field already...

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2610034].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 7, 2014

Dr. DONNELLAN seems to make lots of promises of calling and being available but, even after many reminders to his office, he does not return calls. He may ( ? )be knowledgeable but that serves no use if he treats his follow up appointmments this way. Apparently he would call me last night for sure before leaving for 3 weeks and he did not. This has been going on for just over 6 weeks. I believe this is complete lack of consideration and professionalism and may well be cause of a malpractice suit!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2589606].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 22, 2014

I liked Dr Donnellan. He was friendly and attentive and I had a colonoscopy as well as an endoscopy. In the end it was IBS and I can control most of it through stress and diet. I think many people have generic issues like this and nothing serious and are offended when a Dr isn't giving them endless attention because of it. In terms of specialists I found him professional, approachable and competent.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2541164].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 18, 2014

Was so disappointed in this doctor. He didn't even examine me. I was questioned and examined by his intern, and then he came in sprawled in a chair, like a 10yr old, and asked me what was wrong with me. He decided I had IBS and told me to follow the fodmap diet, which is incompatible with a low glycemic diet, so it was impossible to maintain my blood sugar, not that I was asked about that aspect of my digestive issues. Was a waste of my time. Still have daily GERD that gets bad enough that I have trouble breathing. Tried for over a month to get a follow up appointment with him, but his staff would not call me back. Eventually I was calling 2x a day and leaving messages with no result. Have no faith in the unprofessional doctor. He is obviously too cool to give a damn about this patient

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][63669].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 9, 2014

Dr. Donnellan is a really nice guy, very personable, good sense of humour. His staff is a bit of a question mark - nice, but particularly bad at returning phone calls. Nearly impossible to get someone at his reception desk on the phone without leaving a voicemail first. Dr. Donnellan helped me out with my stomach issues (heavy acid reflux, cramping/bloating) but even after a gastroscopy wasn't able to pinpoint anything specific causing it. Basically put me on some maintenance meds which have helped somewhat, but I'd love to actually track the source of the problem down. He suggested it was my diet and to try staying off certain foods/ingredients. Unfortunately our insurance stopped covering my medication due to a Pharmacare tie-in, so we needed a Special Authority to get it covered. This took some serious doing as between MSP/Pharmacare and getting the doc to fill out forms, I waited over 2 months to get the coverage. Painful but finally worked out.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][63668].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 22, 2013

Dr. Donnellan is the best. He basically saved my life and I will forever be grateful to him

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][63667].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 25, 2012

This guy seemed to be nice at first but does not always follow through. Despite repeated calls to his office for follow up he doesn't return patient's calls. His clinical notes contain numerous errors. Very unprofessional.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][63666].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 12, 2012

Dr Donnellan is a straight talker, kind and funny. He called me after 7pm (he was still at the hospital) to reassure me and answer some questions after my colonoscopy.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][63665].votes_count ]]