You may also like

Rate Dr. Fady I. Sharara

Dr. Fady I. Sharara's Ratings

Dr. Sharara is far away from being the best and honest doctor. At the beginning everything was great. Lots of tests/diagnosis were done and some issues were found and later treated. But closer we were getting towards the actual IVF treatment, things started to take another turn.
1. Dr. Sharara will find “problems” in your partner that are not significant from IVF stand point but will convince you that medications and supplements are necessary. He actually said it himself that “We will find something, don’t worry”. After getting a second opinion, no significant morphological issues in my partner were detected to prevent IVF process from moving forward. We wasted money on supplements.
2. Milking insurance is the 1st and most common practice. You will come to the office many times for something that could have been done in 1 day. But because your visit will not be considered as a separate visit per treatment/testing, practice cannot bill your insurance as many times as they want.
3. This practice has a very sneaky way of slipping you a blood test consent form without telling you that it might be out of you network service and you should check with your insurance first (“Oh, it’s just a simple blood test”). You might be stuck with paying to the provider 1K+. Be careful and ask yourself if some genetic testing or any other blood work is absolutely necessary for your fertility needs. Please check if the lab is in your network.
4. Also, my partner and I were not able to get any fertility (IVF) related questions answered until we sign the contract. We did not like that there was no transparency in the whole process and felt like we were at the car dealership. We left and look for help elsewhere.
Knowing that fertility problem is hard to deal with you would at least expect for your doctor to be as honest and clear as possible. Very disappointed with this clinic and would not recommend going there.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2798568].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 5, 2015

My OBG/YN referred me to Dr. Sharara and I did get pregnant because of his help within a year. I had two failed Clomid cycles with my OB and Dr. Sharara said that it wasn't worth pursuing a third Clomid try because we had to get my PCOS in check with diet and weight loss first. He put me on a huge dose of metformin and the south beach diet while we did some initial ruling-out type tests. The tests turned out to be too much for me, too painful, and I couldn't go through with them after the first one. I called to ask if he would prescribe a painkiller I could take before the procedures and the answer was no, so I just never went back. I still think he's worth a five star review because I just kept on the metformin and the diet and it worked after I lost about 25 pounds. I like that he's more willing to get to the root of the problem than to try a quick fix. His staff is so wonderful and kind, and always willing to help with paperwork and insurance things, even though fertility treatment was not covered by my insurance they still offered to try to submit for insurance under some creative methods. It didn't work but in this day and age it's so hard to find doctor's office staff willing to do anything for you, Dr. Sharara's staff is like a oasis of kindness. Just lovely women. He's also super professional at all times.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2762603].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 31, 2015

This is long overdue! We first walked into Dr. Sharara's office in February 2014 and 13 months later we have perfect twin girls! After a miscarriage and an ectopic, my husband and I were not optimistic about our chances of ever starting a family. After becoming increasingly frustrated with the care from our providers, we decided to go in for a consult with Dr. Sharara and never looked back. We knew it would be expensive, as he was an out of network provider, but it was worth every penny! We had read reviews about people being turned off by his blunt manner, but we found him to be a straight shooter who did not sugar coat anything. His staff was amazing and we especially loved Nurse Jo, who was my nurse at every one of my appointments. If you are going through infertility struggles, I highly recommend you see Dr. Sharara. I cannot imagine there is a better endocrinologist anywhere.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2760564].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 28, 2015

Dr. Sharara made it happen for us. We struggled with infertility for about 10 years and had 6 failed IVF cycles before we consulted Dr. Sharara. The man is simply genius and tries getting into the root cause of the problem. He is not into infertility treatment business for making money. Let me give our example. We had almost given up before seeing him, as chances are very minimal if you have six failed cycles. Like our previous REs, he did not push into IVF. He said there were changes he would like to see before he even initiated cycle. My wife was put on carb restricted diet and was asked to shed her weight drastically. She lost 25 pounds in two months or so. PCOS needed to be taken care of before we initiated a cycle. We did not pay attention to her not having her periods as she used to have irregular cycles. After 2 months, my wife called Dr. Sharara's staffs and said she wanted to start a cycle, but was not having her periods. The staff on the phone advised her to take home pregnancy test and call back the next day. We were pleasantly surprised to find we were pregnant. Dr. Sharara called it a miracle, but the miracle for us would not have happened if it was not for Dr. Sharara. For all those that are struggling like we did, Dr. Sharara is the man that you need to see. He makes dream come true.

Thank you Dr. Sharara.

Best regards,
SDD

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2750036].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 17, 2015

This review is well over due, as I was a patient of Dr. Sharara's in 2012. My husband and I, in our late 30s had been trying for about 3 years for our first child and upon moving to Virginia I went to see Dr. Sharara. He is extremely knowledgable and experienced. He is also so warm and personable, you never feel like "patient # X" in his office. Moreover, he performs all the exams himself so you see him each time you go to the office. His staff is stellar, very helpful, compassionate and interested in your well being. Dr. Sharara believes in holistic treatment and will give you advise on diet and exercise as it relates to fertility. He knows his stuff! I suffer from ovarian cysts and irregular ovulation. He put me on low carb diet, prescribed both non-prescription supplements and a prescription medication. 3 months later I was pregnant with my son who is now a thriving 18 month old. We have since relocated to another state, but if you are in the DC area, I would advise you to see Dr. Sharara. Why settle for anything less?

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2741199].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 2, 2015

I'm very grateful to God for making dr sharara as my doc..he is outstanding, very experienced and knowledgeable. After 6 failed ivfs and a miscarriage, i had very little hope left, But after meeting dr sharara i gained confidence to try again. He is a very positive person..he treats his patients as patients not as customers. Bcoz of his treatment i have a baby girl.I will b thankfull to him all my life. They have gud staff too, especially nurse joe She is very warm n mother like.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2734132].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 24, 2015

Dr. Sharara is great. I never had to wait more than 5 minutes for an appointment, and I always saw the doctor at every appointment- most other places you just see a nurse for monitoring appointments. He was very knowledgeable and direct with everything. He can be a little arrogant and particular, but that's because he really is the best at what he does. Plus he helped make my dream come true.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2729089].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 20, 2015

HONEST REVIEW...READ UNTIL THE END!

Where to begin.....
I was referred to Dr.S after a horrible experience at Shady Grove Fertility Center (please don't EVER go there). I was hesitant to sign on with Dr.Sharara because he is out of network for my insurance and fertility treatment is not cheap (though Dr.S graciously applied discounts at times). After our initial consultation, my husband said "he's your new doctor" before we even reached the car.

Dr.Sharara NEVER disappointed us. Yes, it's true he is brutally honest and he does not sugarcoat anything (btw sugar is a sin to him and you'll soon learn to agree) but he is AMAZING at his job. He is brilliant. He is smart. He is up-to-date. He is the ONE doctor in all of the DC area you can trust to put your best interests first. There is no reason to question him, as I quickly learned, just trust in everything he says and does.

The thorough testing he makes all patients go through can be a long and annoying process, but it is critical; he doesn't just make this stuff up, there is reason behind his actions. I thought I had done all the testing I needed at SGFC but Dr.Sharara went more in depth, so far as to find out through blood tests that I had a serious genetic blood issue that was causing my miscarriages. He quickly addressed it and I'm so thankful.

The entire staff is wonderful. Nurse Jo became my angel and the best support system I could ask for. Ellen always greeted me with a smile and a story to keep my company in the waiting room (which btw was never a long wait, Dr.S sticks to his apt times). Emily is the best new addition to the office and she is full of positive energy, just what everyone who walks through those doors need.

I am forever grateful to Dr.Sharara. He restored my hope in a growing family and he taught me about medicine, science, and my body so that I was better informed on the process I experienced. I was put on a lot of medication, up to 22 pills and 4 shots a day, but all for good reason, to get my body to a healthy place so I can produce quality embryos and hold a pregnancy.

Thanks to Dr.Shara, his staff, and God, I'm now 11 weeks pregnant, and the only bad thing about it is that I've graduated from Dr.Sharara's office and need to move on to an OBGYN. But I will definitely be back to visit my second family often.

If you are experiencing the hell associated with infertility, make the best decision you can and see Dr.Sharara asap; don't delay.
-Zanzoun

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2684302].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 15, 2015

I had a unique situation and after going to Shady Grove Fertility who told me they couldn't help me, a friend of mine who went to Dr. Sharara previously (she has 4 year old twin girls thanks to him), suggested I get a second opinion. I did and the difference was night and day. Instead of feeling like I was in a baby factory, it was small, personal and the staff was very welcoming. I liked that I always saw Dr. Sharara at my appointments and he performed all the procedures I went through (laparoscopy and IVF). He was realistic and fair throughout the process however I would think of questions outside of my appointments and business hours. A nurse gave me her phone number and the couple times I had urgent questions, she always answered her phone and was very helpful (even at 5am when I was in extreme pain). The evening of my trigger shot, my syringe leaked half of the liquid and I didn't realize it until 10pm. I called the nurse and for the next hour, she found an emergency pharmacy that was able to fill my prescription at 11:30pm to ensure my shot and retrieval was successful. I cried when I was dismissed not only because I was pregnant but because Dr. Sharara and his team are fantastic.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2679821].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 11, 2015

Am am a two time surrogate and have had Dr. Sharara both times. There is nothing better then walking into a doctors office and feeling absolute peace about who's going to take care of you. Everyone is so sweet and helpful. They even gave me their cell numbers just in case I had any questions. What doctors office does that? Dr. Sharara is friendly and very straight forward about the whole process. He never gives you false hope and tries to do everything humanly possible to help achieve your dreams. I would go to him a thousands times if I could.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2668598].votes_count ]]