Rate Dr. Oren Steinmetz

Dr. Oren Steinmetz's Ratings

On October 28/14, I had a renal aneurysm repair 3 months ago today. This is a rare condition; made more rare as I only have one kidney. I was visiting Montreal for a conference and went into Emergency with abdominal pain. Dr. S's staff did the initial evaluation after the aneurysm was discovered. This was complicated by the fact that I have only one kidney and less invasive procedures increased the risk of loss of a significant portion of my kidney function. Dr. S came into my room and was quick to outline the proposed surgical approach - an auto-transplant wherein my kidney would be cooled down and taken out on to a side table and the aneurysm/artery repaired by using a vein from my leg. Two of my business partners were in the room with me and we were all very impressed with his directness, enthusiasm and desire for honest communication. It really gave me a lot of confidence that I was in great hands. He told my partners that it would take 1 to 3 months to recover from the surgery -- in the best case.

I required about 9 days of treatment prior to surgery and my wife and eldest son flew out from Vancouver several days before the surgery. After a scan to see how my anti-inflammation, antibiotic treatment was going, Dr S had arranged to meet with us in my room to discuss the alternatives and his recommended approach. Unfortunately, my wife and son were delayed and arrived just as Dr. S was winding up his detailed discussion with me. He was very kind and empathetic and redid his presentation for them and dealt with our questions. The alternatives were all discussed and evaluated.

The surgery took about 7 hours by my reckoning. Dr. S worked closely with the nephrologists and the renal transplant team in developing and executing the surgical approach. It took several hours to dissect out my kidney. After repair, my kidney re-started right away and my kidney function was pretty good all things considered. After close supervision and minimal complications, I was discharged seven days after surgery into my wife's supervision and we stayed in Montreal for follow-up appointments with Dr S and a nephrologist. My blood pressure was still high in my final days of my hospital stay. Dr. S continued to see me after the surgery. The nephrologists were concerned and wanted more scans, etc. before my discharge. Dr. S's experience told him that the scans would be inconclusive because of the post-surgery inflammation and that as it decreased my blood pressure and kidney function would improve. When I came back one week later and met separately with Dr. S and a nephrologist everything was A-OK. I had my 93 staples removed that day, too. The next day I was supposed to fly home but overnight ran into a blood clot issue in my leg. Dr. S arranged from me to come in in the morning and have an urgent ultrasound to determine if I could fly home that afternoon. As it turned out, I could not -- but I really appreciated the help of Dr. S and his colleague, Dr. Kent MacKenzie, that morning. I flew home two days later on November 14. I returned to work at the beginning of January after a good Christmas break with my family and lots and lots of walking. I am very pleased in all my dealings with Dr. S, his medical staff and the nursing and patient care staff on Fifth Floor Ross Pavilion Royal Victoria Hospital. I would also like to particularly commend Brigitte, the Nursing Coordinator for the Department of Vascular Surgery.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2701724].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 29, 2015

Unfortunately due to one staff member I was not able to give a better score for Staff. His other staff members seem okay though none intervened when one member was particularly rude. The doctor himself is very professional and human, excellent patient skills. He did take the time to listen to my complaint about one of his staff doctors', was very reassuring and very compassionate. I did not denote one ounce of arrogence or rudeness in him. He did tell me to call him if I had any concerns of symptoms but his secretary did not return my call till 2 days later. The problems disappeared so I can not complain though if it was an emergency it might be worrisome. In my experience he is a fine physician and would highly recommend him.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2204282].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 20, 2014

My appointment was at 9:00 A.M and he saw me at 8:40, he also shook my hand. Doctors never do that, what a miracle. He was very helpful, listen to my questions and answered them, unlike most doctors who don't listen or change the subject.He told me how to fix my problem and then informed my GP. He is a nice guy, good doctor, punctual and his admin or secretary is terrific.I'd play golf with him any day

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][138595].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 17, 2014

Dr. Steinmetz the angel 0f death wosrt doctor ever who doestn care for our dear mother and his team of staff dont ever go too him for anything!!!! firth floor ross pavillion at the royal vic hodptail in montreal que canada.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][138594].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 13, 2013

Very caring and responsive - took excellent care of my father who needed surgery for an aneurysm. Appointments were always on time and he always took the time answer all of our questions.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][138593].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 6, 2013

Probably one of he most gifted physicians in vascular medicine and vascular surgery. Truly an honourto be treated by such a caring, compassionate and skilled clinician.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][138592].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 8, 2013

After providing a clear and precise assessment of my condition, Dr. Steinmetz spelled out the risks associated with doing nothing vs. doing the related surgery. He subsequently performed the surgery. The operation was successful; my convalescence, uneventful. In my opinion he is skilled and thoroughly professional.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][138591].votes_count ]]