Rate Dr. Michael Farmer

Dr. Michael Farmer's Ratings

Submitted Aug. 5, 2014 | flag

Michael Farmer's behaviour torwards me during my labour and childbirth at BC Women’s Hospital was disrespectful, neglectful, and insulting. He advised me to undergo induction of labour procedure without obtaining appropriate informed consent from me and without explaining the procedure adequately. He then failed to provide appropriate supervision to the nurse who was assigned to regulate my oxytocin infusion. Without asking me for consent or permission, he conducted a vaginal exam on me when I was 8 cm dilated and in transition, having extremely strong contractions, and was unable to stop him from doing so. This exam caused me extreme pain, was degrading and insulting, and was extremely detrimental to my labour and subsequent childbirth. Shortly before my baby was born by forceps, he failed to explain to me adequately why forceps was needed but instead, coerced me into agreeing to forceps delivery by threats of C-section and by disrespectful, joking, and insulting behavior.

Submitted Nov. 16, 2011 | flag

Excellent staff, excellent doctor. Has been my doctor since he took over from Dr. Halpenny, and also my late husband's doctor. Always listens and is very kind and gentle.

Submitted Feb. 28, 2011 | flag

Dr. Farmer is always interested, aware, and knowledgeable. He's always on time unless there's a maternity priority. His staff is mediocre and seemingly overbusy though.

Submitted June 16, 2010 | flag

dr farmer is the best doctor i have ever been to. i have been his patient since he took over for dr halpenny. yes he is hard to see but work with it. he is not God. he was there for everything i neededhim for. he took phone calls when i needed him. he listened. he is the BEST ever,

Submitted Jan. 16, 2010 | flag

Submitted Jan. 4, 2010 | flag

I have nothing but great experiences with Dr. Farmer aside for the occasional delay in getting in to see him.

Submitted Nov. 23, 2009 | flag

Dr. Farmer is amazing. He has been my doctor for over a year and I am so comfortable with him. He delivered my daughter at BC Women's and made it SO easy, and now is her doctor as well. He was also my sisters maternity doctor and she feels the same way. I personally don't find a problem getting appointments and the staff in the office is great. I never wait more than 5 minutes in the waiting room and he is always competent and knowledgeable. I would highly recommend him to any potential patients. He is RIGHT next door to a LifeLab and a pharmacy so the convenience factor is great.

Submitted Aug. 11, 2009 | flag

I have been Dr. Farmer's patient since he took over from Dr. Halpenny year's ago. When you can get an appointment he is helpful and doesn't make you feel too rushed. He does his best to make me feel as at ease as possible when doing a pelvic exam etc. and I can't fault his knowledge or his willingness to refer me to a specialist when necessary. I am, however, totally fed up with trying to get an appointment. Unless it is for something urgent, he is often booking at least 2 months ahead. He doesn't do telephone renewals of prescriptions either, so unless you get really, really lucky and get a cancellation, the reception staff will tell you to go to a walk in clinic. How is that for continuity of care? Today I was told that I couldn't even make the appointment for two months ahead, since they don't have the appointment book yet for that far ahead. This problem has gotten steadily worse over the last few years. At least he isn't accepting new patients at present.

Submitted June 24, 2009 | flag

Dr. Farmer is a great doctor, but I am so fed up with not being able to get in to see him. Today I was told that he is booking more than 2 months away. I was told I could phone every morning to see if there was any cancellations, but who wants to do that?! He needs to make some changes.

Submitted March 16, 2009 | flag