Dr. Hooman Darien Behravan

Grad. Year: 1996

Answers Email: Unknown
Online Appt. Scheduling: Unknown
Accepting New Patients:Y

Profile updated 09/08/06    Submit profile update    Subscribe to profile updates

Rating: 3.7 out of 5 (5 is best), based on 25 reviews. Dr. Hooman Darien Behravan has a good overall rating on RateMDs.com. smile

New! - Questions and answers about this doctor

Pain Mgmt / Physical Rehab-related: pain relief, physical rehabilitation, stroke recovery, accident recovery
The following ratings and comments have not been substantiated by RateMDs.com.
Date Staff Punctual Helpful Knowledge Review Comments

04/07/14 SYSTEM: 'birds of a feather' score (based on Medicare patients-in-common): 3.0
RID: 5519274

05/06/14 4 3 2 1 He didn't listen to me at all, didn't hear what I was asking him and completely dismissed my concerns. And the worst part is that I felt like he was oogling me. He even asked if I had a boyfriend. Out of line! And he really gave me the creeps. I will definitely not be going back nor recommending him to anyone else.
RID: 5498973
28/05/14 1 3 2 2 Bay Area Pain & Spine Institute 19 minutes ago I WAS always treated with respect by dr bahravan. I have had the injections a number of times and enjoyed he explaining things to me a a person. Lately how ever I have been avoiding the appointments with Janice the medical add who give me my refill pain medications. And today I left in tears b/c I was pressured in to explaining my financial problems and this is a very embracing issue. But ALSO because I HATE to be LECTURED about my health or why I fell, what happens to me is not for her to be judged on. I'm 45 years old and I'm the one in pain, I truly do not need her telling me what I must do or anything. She is only to ask how my day is and if there is any new problems. I have respect for dr bahravan and have enjoyed going to the office but I have had enough lecturing thank you
RID: 2834892

04/09/13 1 1 1 1 If you want to see a doctor that doesn't care about your pain, this is your guy. Totally unprofessional and rude to boot. All he will do is give you a procedure and if that doesn't work, you're SOL. Horrible bedsidemanner. Do yourself a favor and dodge this bullet. He's arrogant, tactless, demeaning,
RID: 2274064
20/06/12 3 2 5 5 My first impression of Dr Behravan was that he was slightly arrogant HOWEVER, he most definitely has a gift for pain management!.... After being a patienet of Dr Behravan's for a couple of years, I was unfortunately involved in a VERY SERIOUS car accident resulting in my arm being paralyzed. Dr Behravan was VERY SINCERELY compassionate regarding my injury and, he PERSONALLY wrote an email directly to a surgeon who he studied under at Stanford. Additionally, following my surgery, he also referred me to WONDERFUL physical therapists..... Theer is ALWAYS a LONG wait in his office for appointments however, he is worth the wait!!He knows his stuff!.... ALSO; he can 'sniff out' anyone who is FAKING an injury so, if you are faking an injury - this is fair warning!
Respond

30/05/12 SYSTEM: 2 positive duplicate or disallowed ratings automatically removed
RID: 1774614
21/03/12 5 4 5 5 I sat here and read all the comments that people had to say about Dr behravan. For those that said he was a good dr you are right he is one heck of a Doctor.When I went to see him the first time, I thought that he would be the same as all the other Dr's but he wasn't he listen to every word I had to say and made me feel like I was the most important person in the whole building. He believed what I told him and acted upon it quickly and did what needed to be done. Also he has a assistant by the name of Michelle which I have to say haves the same good quality as he dose, eventhough I told Dr Behravan my problem she also wanted to haer the whole story from beginning to end and really shown concern. usually people dont want to go to the Dr office,but after meeting these two plus there staff I'm speeding there to see them, they all treat me with respect.For those who complained about this office I'm sorry that you feel this way.  Respond
RID: 1566796

20/10/11 5 5 5 5 I was referred to Dr. Behravan by my doctor for issues relating to chronic neck pain and spasm which is of long-standing. I found him to be very knowledgeable. My motivation for seeing him is to eliminate the neck pain/spasm issues which greatly affect my quality of life. What I want in a specialist is someone who knows exactly what the issue is and knows how to resolve it. I have met with him twice so far. Once in consult where he reviewed the MRI and X-Ray studies and most recently for treatment. His skill as a technician is nothing short of awesome. I felt comfortable during the procedure and subsequently when his office checked on me the following day to see how I was getting along.. I like that! In short, if your motivation is to get world-class treatment by a superb physician, then you cannot do better, period. The "trick" to making sure you have a reasonably short wait is call the office to see if he is on schedule. They are great about letting you know. TValdriz
Insurance: United Healthcare
RID: 1435499

08/05/11 5 5 5 5 So far for my pain problem I have been two two surgeons and 3 pain doctors in the Bay area. I must say Behravan spent the greatest amount of time with me, typing everything I was saying. He is personable, and on your side if you have chronic pain. He laid out a list of things it could be and what can be done in each circumstance to isolate the problem. I found him knowledgeable as I had done plenty of search about my problem online and on medical web sites, he knew what he was talking about, and he was confident yet compassionate. And when it comes to this type of Chronic pain I have at 45, this is precisely the kind of doctor I want in my corner. I did not get any negative vibes from him and compared to the other pain doctors I have seen in the Bay area, he spent the greatest amount of time with me and i walked out of his office hopeful and optimistic. I have seen him once so far but he is personable, takes his time, listens, seems to be very knowledgeable and competent
Insurance: Pacificare
Paid (or co-pay): $25
Respond

18/04/11 SYSTEM: 2 negative duplicate or disallowed ratings automatically removed

29/09/10 SYSTEM: 6 positive duplicate or disallowed ratings automatically removed
RID: 1220709
03/08/10 5 5 5 5 I love Dr.Behravan and most of his patients adore him from what I hear in his waiting room. He is not only my doctor but I consider him a friend as well. I have been his patient since he came out of Stanford and have watched him grow and succeed into a very busy, compassionate and caring physician. I absolutely adore him, he is funny, has a good sense of humor and serious at the same time.
Paid (or co-pay): $20
Respond

13/01/10 SYSTEM: 2 negative duplicate or disallowed ratings automatically removed

01/11/09 SYSTEM: 3 positive duplicate or disallowed ratings automatically removed
RID: 958334

09/08/09 1 1 1 1 Many of these reviews claim Dr. Behravan to be "compassionate", which I find hard to believe were written by sincere patients. He's the nastiest, most unprofessional doctor I've ever met by light years. His behavior reflects contempt for his patients and the profession in general. From his perspective, if the problem is too complex for him to ascertain, it exists all in the patient's mind. A total cop-out. In two cases he was a no-show (without timely notification from his office, causing me a substantial inconvenience), and neither acknowledged nor apologized. After entrusting him to a procedure, he asked me questions indicating a clear lack of understanding of the methodology involved. This is a doctor without a shred of dignity. Beware and avoid.  Respond
RID: 928936
04/07/09 5 3 4 5 he was rather late for the appointment, but he made up for it by the information and conversation we had concering my injury. I've seen a number of doctors in the past years, but Dr. Behravan was thorough with my visit. I was impressed
RID: 852026
03/04/09 3 4 1 2 I have seen this man back in 2004. He is very unprofessional. Mind you, I am an RN level III for 14 years now and had dealt with many personalities of MDs. Arrogance never bothered me especially if you have "earned" it. but arrogance with idiocracy is never accepted. He badmouthed his mentor who had previously treated me and stated my pain was not an "8" bec. that would be labor pain already. D-uh, I do know what labor pain is, and yes, it is as bad. Have you gone in labor doctor? Pain is subjective. He needs to go back to med school.
RID: 844795
27/03/09 4 1 3 4 All appointments with him started at least one hour late. He seemed knowledgeable in many areas of chronic pain and did some testing in is office. A few times he became inpatient and raised his voice to me, which was not necessary.  Respond
RID: 825462
11/03/09 5 5 5 5 He is a good doctor, he has helped me more than anyone else did. He is not afraid to do procedures that have a chance of helping, he has good hands, I didn't even feel the injection.
Paid (or co-pay): $20
RID: 756216
05/01/09 4 4 5 5 I have been a patient of Dr. Behravan for over three years and he has been instrumental in addressing a work injury and his treatment has been the major factor in my ability to lead a meaningful life. Because this was a work related injury (I drive a school bus which was involved in an accident) I was first sent to Sutter Hospital. Being a Union activist I am well aware of the problems with our worker compensation system. I was unhappy with Sutter, but pleased with the Doctors who tried within a flawed system to give me care. My Doctor had to leave, but as his final act transfered me to Dr. Behravan and his spine and pain clinic. Dr. Behravan got me the care, medication, testing and equipment that has allowed me to return to work and manage my pain. I remember waiting in an adjoining waiting room while Dr. Behravan was treating a patient with a fractured spine, and his attitude of wanting to relieve his pain and his compassion made a great impression upon me.
RID: 751966
30/12/08 5 5 5 5 I was introduced to Dr. Behravan by a reputable surgeon in San Ramon, CA for my back injury. I received 3 steroid injections. Immediately, I was impressed as it was far less painful than those injections received from other doctors. The effects were lasting and significantly reduced my painlevel. Dr. Behravan was knowledgable, professional and took the necessary time to truly assess my needs. He is thorough in his explanations of his procedures, alternate future treatment, and any possible ramifications of treatment. He is always exploring and suggesting new remedies that are suitable for my chronic pain. These options include foot orthotics, tens unit, back patches, and a variety of non-narcotic pain relievers. He is kind and compassionate and shows genuine concern in seeking out the best options for pain management. I am involved in missionary work in Mexico and he has expressed an interest in joining our team. I am truly grateful for the excellent care that I have received.
Insurance: Aetna
RID: 705698

20/10/08 1 3 2 3 The ratings describing him as a saint I find very hard to fathom as he came across to me as arrogant & condescending.I was very happy when I was able to get in to see him very quickly but it quickly became obvious why.On my first visit, he bragged about consulting/working w/the Calif. workers' comp board (as if I would care).That should have been a clue where his priorities were.He also stated I would practically have to be dead to allow me to be off work.When I had surgery & the pain medicine he rx'ed did not provide any pain relief, he was not available to help me so I could even sleep.He then called & chastised me for harassing his staff about this issue.Bottom line: Don't expect any help after hrs or between appts.Also his staff are very thin-skinned.Be careful how you speak to them.
RID: 693815
30/09/08 3 1 1 4 Very rude, he had an intern or someone in training with him, which was fine, except he would not speak to me directly. Whenever I explained something or answered a queation, he would never respond to me, he would type something in his computer and explain and show the intern, but not me My biggest complaint is that he did not even send a report in to the Workers Comp Insurance Company, I called his office over a month ago to get a copy of the report, but he had not done one yet and I saw him approximately 3 months ago. I called the insurance company today and they still have not received a rteport from him so I am filing a claim to the CA Medical Board.
RID: 586675
10/05/08 5 4 5 5 First time that I met Dr.Behravan, he asked me a lot of questions about my pain, ie: where does it start, and where does it travel too, etc. ( Even though he had a transcript of my MRI.) He was patient with me, and kind. When he was doing the surgery, I felt at ease, listening to him explain to his assistant exactly what he was doing. The waiting time to be seen may be long, but he is worth the wait. I highly recommend him. Margaret Dambley
Insurance: Medicare
RID: 547410
24/03/08 5 5 5 5 If you are looking for a doctor to pamper your addiction and encourage your addictive behavior, he is not the doctor for you. He is firm, he is compassionate and he will NOT let you get away with a lie and fabrication. He is a no BS kind of guy, he says it like it is and thanks to him I went into rehab, got my act cleaned up and now am living a life where I have learnt to cope and live with my pain thanks to him.  Respond
RID: 541101
16/03/08 4 1 1 1 Terrible bedside manner. Had me in tears when I left. Not a compassionate doctor. Yelled at his off ice staff and was rude to them  Respond
RID: 433600
24/10/07 5 5 5 5 Dr.Behravan is a unique doctor and one of a kind. I am not sure if what his religious beliefs are but if he believes in the Lord there is a place for him up in the heaven's right next to him. I do not want to disclose too much about my struggles in life with pain and other emotional issues but by the grace of god I met this man who laughed with me, cried with me and held his ground and remained tough with me when I was losing control.  Respond
RID: 397829
05/09/07 5 3 5 5 Dr. Behravan is the most wonderful, caring, compassionate doctor I have ever had!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, you wait a long time to see him but once you do he takes a great deal of care and time with you as his patient! He truly cares about the well being of his patients! He also is the only doctor who has been able to manage my pain effectively!! I highly recommend Dr. Behraven!!!!!!!!!!!
RID: 42873
29/08/06 5 5 5 He is very passionate. He knows what he is doing, that is for sure. I waited in his waiting room for an hour one time because I showed up as an emergency and he was going to squeeze me in, every patient of his that came and went while I was there likes him and speak highly of him. He is also very much into academics and teaching. I would recommend him to anyone in pain.
RID: 40246
10/08/06 5 5 5 He is excellent, clinically he is one of the best doctors I have seen. I was referred to him by Dr.Randall who is an excellent spine surgeon, but he did not want to do surgery on me. Doctor Behravan put a stimulator in my back and implanted it and my pain now is tolerable. He takes his time with patients and is thorough in discussing any procedure. He did not rush me to do this procedure but let me decide on my own accord
Insurance: Medicare
RID: 20997

14/01/06 1 1 1 OPERAI AM A FEMALE WHO ONLY SAW HIM FOR 6 MONTHS THANK GOD HE WAS RUDE, ARROGANT, CRUEL AND ODD.. I SAW MY PRIOR DR. FOR 3 YRS W/ NO ISSUES AND SEEING HIM FROM DAY 1 WAS SUCKY! HE DEGRATED ME, INSULTED ME AND HURT MY FEELINGS ON PURPOSE..HE SAID I WAS DOING THINGS THAT I WAS NOT, HE WONT COMMUNICATE THINGS, HE FLIP FLOS AND GIVES NO GOALS OR FUTURE HELP. JUST THROWS MEDS AT YOU AND ON 2 OCCASIONS NEVER EVEN SAW ME, HANDED THEM OFF THE A OFFICE GAL AND SHE GAVE ME THE SCRIPTS ALL THAT AFTER A 2 HR WAIT...OH YEA THAT!!! I SWEAR I WAITED 9 MONTHS IN THAT OFFICE..NAH, BUT IN MY 5-7 VISITS I NEVER GOT OUT W/ OUT A 1-3 HR WAIT REALLY, HIS ARROGANCE IS DEFEATING, AND HIS STAFF FEELS IT, AND THEY ALL TALK ABOUT EVERYONE IN THE LOBBY, IN THEIR LIVES..ITS A "SOAP OPERA" OFFICE 1 GAL IS SWEET AND EFFCEIANT, SHE HAS TO BE THE OTHER GAL IS A SOUR PUSS THEN WARMS UP. OR MAYBE ITS HIM, HE MAKES ANYONE SOUR..THEY ARE OVERWORKED IT SEEMS FOR ALL HIS ERRORS..SEEMS THE $ IS HIS PRIORITY AS THE WAIT TIME IS A JOKE!! HIS CARE IS FOR THE BUCK, HENCE OVER BOOKING TIMES 3-5 PEOPLE PER SLOT, EALL T
Paid (or co-pay): $35