Dr. Gwen Geraldine Bruce-Houle

Rate Dr. Gwen Geraldine Bruce-Houle

Dr. Gwen Geraldine Bruce-Houle's Ratings

I have to admit that after having read a lot of these reviews beforehand, I was looking forward to my first visit with Dr. Bruce-Houle about as much as I looked forward to my last root-canal! Well all that trepidation was for naught; our first meeting was excellent. First off, Dr. Bruce-Houle very punctual; probably a bit early in fact. This was a huge deal, because - believe it or not - the usual wait-time for my last family doctor (in Southern-Ontario, Niagara region) was between 3 to 6 hours! Dr. Bruce-Houle was cordial, knowledgeable, helpful and she did not come across as being arrogant in the least. I am already in the process of setting up our next appointment.

Submitted Aug. 16, 2014 | flag

I have had two encounters with dr. Bruce-houle and both have been pleasant. She was extremely knowledgable and friendly. She did not talk down to me or speak poorly on any subject. I will gladly see her again.

Submitted Jan. 24, 2014 | flag

I had the misfortune of meeting Dr. Bruce-Houle in an attempt to find a new doctor. She was rude, condescending and uninformed. When I asked her about her approach to patients with PTSD (which I suffer from) she told me she didn't believe in it and that it was just an excuse for people to hide behind while being lazy. Meanwhile she was telling me this while inserting a dry (non-lubricated) speculum into me to perform my PAP test. I felt as if I had been raped.

Submitted Jan. 23, 2014 | flag

I saw her in a walk-in at first and she told me that people on Disability (as I am) are just lazy and the gov't is just giving them an excuse to sit on their ass and be lazy. (I am on disability for anxiety, depression, PTSD and bipolar). Now my family dr has moved away and she is my new GP. She told me that i should suck it up and just take some deep breaths and get over it.

Submitted Jan. 22, 2014 | flag

It's unfortunate that Dr. Bruce-Houle treated me as she did today because she lost another patient. I was appalled by her stereotypical "doctor's attitude", as I thought I had finally found a good one. After waiting 40 minutes past my appointment time to see Dr. Bruce-Houle, I was shocked and annoyed that throughout the entire appointment she spoke down to me, with a tone of voice so condescending that I felt like an idiot for coming in with some questions regarding my health. She made me feel extremely uncomfortable and beneath her and I truly wouldn't recommend Dr. Bruce-Houle to anyone, unless they wish to feel like they are in the wrong for requesting medical attention.

Submitted Sept. 27, 2013 | flag

Dr. Bruce-Houle is the worst Dr. I've ever had the misfortune of meeting. She is rude, impatient argumentative & not knowledgeable about new treatments or medications. I went to talk about my chronic back & muscle pain that I've been dealing with for 20 years. I just wanted a referral to a specialist. She refused to give me a referral. She told me she would not give me any pain meds & treated me like a common junky. I didn't ask for pain meds because I've tried them & they don't work. I also discussed my severe insomnia that I've been dealing with since I was a child. She told me to get a life. I was astonished at her judgmental arrogance. I'm either working full time or a full time student. This "Dr." should have her license revoked. She is completely incompetent! I was discussing my medical Chart with my Gyno. in prep. for surgery & he told me that Dr. Bruce-Houle had put in my chart that I had 1 baby. I don't have a baby. He had to correct her many mistakes she'd put into my records

Submitted Aug. 8, 2013 | flag

Dr. Bruce-Houle is a joke. Not only does this 'doctor' care nothing for her patients, but is very rude to boot! Don't waste your time - you'd be better off with just about ANY other doctor in Nanaimo.

Submitted June 11, 2013 | flag

From my experience Dr. Bruce Houle is a very knowledgeable good doctor. I love that she is on time for appt.'s respecting my time as well as her own. I went to her with my problems and she did the necessary blood and urine work/ ultrasounds etc. She explained my results to me. I can tell she is experienced and knows what she is doing. Keep in mind people, that she is not a counsellor or psychiatrist. She is a medical doctor and she has done an excellent job with me. I think it is great she is open to natural/alternative methods as well as traditional medical. I felt very comfortable as myself around her. She is a competent, capable doctor, and I would recommend her.

Submitted May 11, 2013 | flag

I am not surprised to see all of the negative comments left for Dr. Bruce-Houle. I, too, had looked for a doctor for well over a year after moving to Nanaimo, and was elated when I finally found that Dr. Bruce-Houle was accepting new patients. That elation quickly changed upon meeting her for the first time, and only got worse with each visit. She literally laughed at me when I tried to discuss the chronic back-pain issues I have been experiencing for years - she pretty much told me to suck it up because she wasn't about to prescribe any pain medication, or give me any time off work (which was not even what I was asking for!) She treated me like some sort of lazy drug addict when in reality I am a hard-working woman who only wants to get better. Do yourself a favor and find another doctor. Dr. Bruce-Houle is rude, arrogant, and simply uncaring.

Submitted April 23, 2013 | flag

We moved to Nanaimo last fall. After phoning the medical clinics in the city, it appeared that she was the only doctor accepting new patients. My husband and I booked appointments with her to simply have our long-standing prescriptions re-filled. One of the meds I take is hormone replacement therapy (HRT) - have been for 7 years. She asked me how long I planned on taking this. I said I had no plans to stop as I had had to stop taking it for 2 months a year ago because of a surgery. Without HRT I became extremely depressed and had constant menopausal symptoms until I re-started It.. She went on a rant, told me that I was poisoning myself, taking years off of my life, risked ending up on a psych ward and that if I insisted on continuing with HRT that she would not accept me as her patient. I said that was fine with me and left her office. I could not believe that a doctor would treat a patient that way! That was in October 2012 and I still don't have a family physician here.

Submitted April 17, 2013 | flag