Rate Dr. James J. Guerra

Dr. James J. Guerra's Ratings

I ruptured and retracted two of my rotator cuff tendons and this was confirmed by MRI, radiologist report and an ortho that didn't do surgery (I didn't think my problem was that bad until the MRI, radiology report and ortho's referral).

Guerra was out of town so my initial consultation was done by the hip surgeon, Spain. Spain was cold, rude and inappropriately and unnecessarily moved my shoulder to the point where I fell over on the table crying. My shoulder did NOT need to be moved, when I saw another, more experienced surgeon, he didn't even need to touch me. He read the MRI and radiology report to understand my situation.

After the unnecessary and painful manipulation, he asked if I had questions. My question was, "Will I need hardware" His reply was, "No". The next morning Ruthie, the surgery scheduler (NOT A DOCTOR OR NURSE) told me I would need hardware and my surgery couldn't be scheduled for a month because I would have to have the surgery in a hospital, not the outpatient center. I found it VERY interesting that Spain didn't know the first thing about shoulders nor shoulder surgery and I was still charged $190 for the appointment. Guerra's scheduler knew more about my injury and the surgery than Spain did.

At the end of the appointment with Spain, I asked if there was anything I needed to know about the surgery. He told me, "No." Now, I know it is because he knew very little about the surgery not because he was being rude.

Although the surgery couldn't be scheduled for a month (because of the doctor's schedule, not mine). They refused to give me pain meds.

Guerra refused to do surgery on me. He insisted it would be better if it was done when I moved. I find it interesting that a doctor that considers himself experienced at shoulder surgery would tell me to put off surgery for another two months. Ruptured tendons need to be repaired as soon as possible and preferably under three months to have the best result. Despite his "experience," he did not seem to know this important little tid bit about shoulder repair.

Additionally, I was told Guerra would call me on two different occasions and my husband on one occasion. He never called. I checked my phone log as did my husband.

Overall, a very disappointing experience. It cost me $190 to be treated poorly and with disrespect by Spain. Guerra couldn't be bothered to talk to me in person.

It all worked out for the best as I ended up with a far more experienced surgeon, Mighell at Florida Orthopeadic Institute in Tampa. He does only shoulder surgery and is kind and his staff wonderful.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2556437].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 29, 2014

On July 15th, my daughter broke her right elbow while at tumbling practice. She is 13 years old and is on a competitive cheer team. Because her injury happened in the evening, I took her to Physicians Regional ER to get an x ray. We were told that her elbow was fractured and to follow up with an Orthopedic doctor. The next day I took her to see Dr. Guerra who immediately told us that because of the type of fracture my daughter had, it would benefit her elbow to have surgery to insert a small piece of hardware for proper healing. He did tell me that she could let it heal on it's own, but the broken piece was mildly displaced and could cause a bony prominence in the area. Because she was a young athlete, he recommended surgery. Dr. Guerra was both informative and thorough at her visit. We chose for her to have surgery and we are exceptionally glad that we did. After 9 weeks of physical therapy (recommended by Dr. Guerra) she is back to her sport and tumbling. We do believe that if it had not been for Dr. Guerra ,his advice, and great care, she would definitely not have sprung back so quickly. She will be ready to compete in the fall and we thank Dr. Guerra for that. This doctor deserves 5 stars without a doubt.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2550536].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 24, 2014

Although he may be a great surgeon, I have problems with his practices. My husband had to see him for rotator cuff surgery. For each visit, we had to wait at least an hour. Then we were rushed through. My biggest complaint was his payment policy. I have wonderful insurance, thank God. I know I am very lucky. However, at the time, I did not have a co-pay. His staff insisted that I pay a co-pay. If I don't have a co-pay, how can you charge me? Then, when it came time to have the surgery, he wanted cash up front. Again, he was in my network and the surgery was covered completely. But no......they wanted payment in full. When I called BCBS about it, they said that he was in the network and had agreed to not accept payment from patients.......but it was not "illegal" to do so. I actually got in an argument with them. For this reason, in particular, we will not go there again.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2548818].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 23, 2014

I cannot believe that Dr. Guerra is not shown as a 5 Star in this rating site. Great staff that exudes teamwork, efficient, polite and knowledgeable. Dr's patient interaction is superior taking the time for thorough explanations and answers all questions. My hip replacement went very well. I like the Physician's Regional Hospital for being quiet and restful while the staff was courteous and caring. The Dr's follow-up visits in the hospital were soothing.... rehab is going well. I highly recommend Dr. Guerra.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1957055].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 14, 2014

After seeing 2 doctors, Dr Guerra LISTENED to my symptoms and made the diagnosis. The treatment was given and my pain began to improve. Thank you!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1957054].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 18, 2013

Upon returning to the office on my own to find out information that I I left without, Dr Spain took time away from his lunch to make me understand everything I needed to know. I was pleased and relieved.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1957053].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 5, 2013

Dr office and staff + doctor were excellent !! Very knowledgeable in all areas of sports med..

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1957052].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 2, 2013

Dr. Guerra and his staff are very professional and very knowledgeable. It is a pleasure to come to his office. I always look forward to speaking with Dr. Guerra.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1957051].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 28, 2013

After 10 years of doctors suggesting physical therapy and pain pills I finally decided to get another opinion made a call to Dr. Guerra office I was surprised to find out that he could see me that same day mri next day and that same day an action plan. 9 months after rotator surgery I have no pain or any discomfort. I highly recommend

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1957050].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 15, 2013

Dr. Guerra is an incredible orthopedic surgeon. He has twice operated on my humeral head and delayed me from having a shoulder replacement. The surgery was completely necessary to eliminate constant pain. With innovative options, he has stabilized my pain levels. When the time comes for my replacement, I wouldn't consider any one but, Dr. Guerra. He's the best.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1957049].votes_count ]]