Dr. Gustave Stephen Igel

Foreign Lang: Spanish

Answers Email: Unknown
Online Appt. Scheduling: Unknown
Accepting New Patients:Y

Profile updated 29/05/12    Submit profile update    Subscribe to profile updates

Rating: 3.8 out of 5 (5 is best), based on 17 reviews. Dr. Gustave Stephen Igel has a good overall rating on RateMDs.com. smile

New! - Questions and answers about this doctor

The following ratings and comments have not been substantiated by RateMDs.com.
Date Staff Punctual Helpful Knowledge Review Comments
RID: 2758245

09/08/13 3 3 2 2 The staff was average to very friendly. The Dr, however, sent me into such a shock that it took me hours to get over what he had said. I recently had a miscarriage, the only one in my life. He said something about taking hormone supplements ...I asked him simply what it was and why I may need to take it? I was very respectful with my questions. He immediately became defensive. Not only did he NOT answer my questions, but actually said to me sternly while my privates were exposed, as he was conducting an exam at this time ..."maybe I shouldn't waste the lab's money or time since you're not going to take the hormones anyway" (I thought: I never said I wasn't going to take the hormones & "lab's money, I thought it was my money?) and "then you can just continue to have miscarriages". I will NEVER be affiliated with such a rude, unprofessional, heartless Dr. as Dr. Stephen Igel. So I have to lose my amazing midwife Robyn Reese, as she works with him.
RID: 2680095
15/06/13 5 5 5 5 The most caring doctor, NP, and staff. They are excellent n everyday. They delivered all three of my children. I actually look forward to going back once a year for preventative treatment.
RID: 2460566
29/10/12 4 2 2 2 Although the staff ( for the most part) were very friendly and I loved Robin. I waited for a very long time to see Dr. Igel( hours). When he finally did see me he was gruff, unfriendly and unwilling to answer questions. He was even rude to his staff. He rushed me in and out and even began rolling his eyes when I would try to ask him anything. I was very dissappointed in my experience and am looking for another doctor to deliver my baby. Reading some of the other reviews I am even wondering if I saw the same doctor! Very dissapointed
RID: 1716546
17/02/12 3 5 4 4 While I have to say almost all the staff including the Dr are great, and I mean GREAT, and leave us feeling happy, there is one staff member that does billing that does not care about the happiness of someone getting ready to give birth, she cares more about money and what you owe and always puts a downer on my wife and I's appointments at the end. If the staff got rid of this one person the office would get an A, but this lady is a downer every single time and needs to work on her people skills.
RID: 1712300
13/02/12 5 5 5 5 Dr. Igel is the absolute best physician I have ever been to. He is extremely knowledgable, professional and is matter of fact to the point with his patients. I faced extreme circumstances during the delivery of my only daughter and he brought both of us through perfectly. He is also very kind and has a way of making you feel at ease. Dr. Igel is amazing
Insurance: Aetna
RID: 1664649
18/12/11 5 5 5 5 I have been going to Dr Igel for 25 years. I've never had to wait any long extended times. Always in and out quickly. Friendly staff has been there long term. Very little if any staff turnover. My questions & concerns are always answered. I would highly highly recommend Dr Igel.
RID: 1504078
04/08/11 5 5 5 5 I can not say enough about my AMAZING expierence with Dr Igel and his midwife Robyn. I was with a different pratice when I got pregnant and was not very happy with the other pratice. I changed to Dr Igel's pratice at 32 weeks pregnant. I was a little nervous moving pratices so late in my pregnancy. The move to this pratice was the best thing I could have done! Robyn delivered my son. She was AMAZING she was so supportive! What an amazing expierence! I would reccomend both Dr Igel and Robyn to anyone! The office staff is very helpful. I have not waited past my appointment time when I go into the office. Plain and simple THEY ARE AMAZING!
Insurance: CIGNA

RID: 1371023
24/02/11 5 5 5 5 I first started going to his office for a very scary female problem, which he was able to correct and keep that way for the last 6yrs. I have also had a child under his and his MidWife, Robin Reese, care and it was such a wonderful experience that I am currently under his care for my third child! I wouldn't dream of going to any other Doctor! His staff is amazing and they are beyond helpful. The office is always clean and welcoming. Appointments are easy to attain and wait time is minimal. I reccommend him to ALL of my friends and I also reccommend him to all that may read this. I know that I'll never go anywhere else, even if I have to pay cash to see him!!
RID: 1149562
14/04/10 3 5 2 3 I'm pregnant. Dr. Igel gave me my 24 week check-up instead of my regular ARNP, Robyn Reese. Although his timing was prompt, I was very disturbed when he got on the issue about my weight gain. I have gained 40 pounds during my pregnancy, and I still have 16 weeks to go. He told me "you're going to hate yourself for gaining all that weight after the baby comes." He was really rude and superficial about the issue. Not to mention, instead of asking me to lift up my dress to take a heart beat count of the baby, he made himself welcome and lifted up my dress without asking or telling me. I was very uncomfortable. He barely counted the beats. He rushed in and rushed right out, and there was only one other patient waiting. I had questions that went unanswered because I couldn't wait to leave and I didn't feel comfortable asking. His staff is not very friendly. However, Robyn Reese, ARNP, is a wonderful practitioner who works at his office and I would suggest her to anyone having a baby.
RID: 1075226
11/01/10 3 3 1 2 I was advised to get a colposcopy after receiving an abnormal pap and subsequent positive high-risk HPV test. My initial pap with the NP was pleasant and professional. Dr. Igel performed the colposopy professionally, however I was not informed of any risks or options of the colposcopy. I found out after receiving the procedure that it may affect reproduction and increase incidence of miscarriage. I also felt that Dr. Igel was bothered by my questions about the condition and procedure. These two visits comprised my first experience with a gyn and I did not know the appropriate questions or reaction. After my experience, I would advise anyone to do full research, get a second opinion and consult a family member before agreeing to any invasive procedures.
Insurance: Humana
Paid (or co-pay): $400
RID: 1021174
29/10/09 5 5 5 5 I regard Dr. Igel as the most informed, caring, time invested doctor I have. I trust him to think out of the box in any referrals I might need. He is honest and does not rush. My children who are normally hard to please were positive and comfortable with his patient relationship.
RID: 922550
25/06/09 5 5 5 5 I have been a patient of Dr. Igel for 25 years. He is awesome. I met him while working as an RN in the ER at Largo Medical Center and was very impressed with his bedside manner. I asked around and found out that many of the nurses in the Largo/Clearwater area are his patients. He delivered my son when I was 40 years old and I had a better pregnancy than most women half my age. I LOVE this man, he is one of the best, most caring physicians I have ever met...and I have worked with a lot of doctors. He has a great sense of humor...but it helps to have a sense of humor to fully appreciate him. He is extremely caring and sets you at ease, which isn't easy when you're in that wonderful exam position. You don't have as many nurses as patients as he does, without being a great doctor.  Respond
RID: 612979
12/06/08 5 5 5 5 I've been a patient of Dr. Igel's for nearly 15 years. He delivered my two children and I couldn't be happier with the care he has given me over the years. He is knowledgeable, caring and ready and willing to answer all of my questions. I highly recommend Dr. Igel and his staff.
RID: 589091
13/05/08 5 4 2 2 Seemed like he could care less about my well being. Didn't like answering questions.
RID: 441385
08/11/07 4 4 4 5 Knowledgeable and compassionate. Expects the patient to be an active particpant in their own healthcare. Good sense of humor.
RID: 51186