You may also like

Rate Dr. Michael D. Hughes

Dr. Michael D. Hughes's Ratings

I don't see how there can be such terrible ratings and then such positive ones. Either he is favoring some and hating others or these positive reviews are fake. Dr Hughes and his staff blacklisted me slanderously near the end of my time with him. I have multiple serious medical problems, both chronic and acute and he has made it impossible to get a diagnosis and has blacklisted my name. I recently was in his office and he had to leave to get the EKG machine because he detected an abnormal heart rhythm. I glanced at my record on the screen in front of me and there was a RED button at the top of my file that said ALERT boldly in the box. This surely follows my file everywhere and is slanderous to me, based on the vindictive office staff and has caused me to suffer and get sicker for months on end, while being neglected by the doctor and his staff.
I was a patient with Dr Hughes for about 2 years. As the other bad reviews state the office staff is ABOMINABLE. In all that time as his patient I would call abut every 2 weeks for something and NEVER got a call back from the drs assistant OR the Dr. regarding tests or results or referrals or anything. I didn't like the way he didn't even look at me when he entered the room. WHen I would explain my symptomology he would always be just looking at the computer and doing other things, and yet even though it seemed rude he did seem to get the general idea behind what I was saying. I overlooked alot of it and tried not to take it personally.
Currently I have heart spasms, hypothyroid and goiter, car accident, inability to gain weight.... toxic encephalopathy, ichthyosis, immune deregulation etc
I went to some OB's for about 6 months with an infection which they were having trouble diagnosing. I had dozens of severe disabling symptoms. I finally decided to tell Dr Hughes. He started running tests. I already showed him that they ran HIV and Herpes and all the others like 3 TIMES and yet he ran them again which I found strange. The office staff especially Natalie and Tamra would NEVER give my messages to the Med assistant or to medical records or doctor. At one point I called a couple times a week for test results for over a month and a half and near the end of that they started telling me to look online for the test result. I told them I had looked online Beacon Labcorp a dozen times and it wasn't there. They kept ignoring me. I made an appt to see Dr Hughes, drove almost an hour to see him and I was 10 minutes late. The office staff let me wait there for 40 minutes and then came out and told me that he would not see me. Tamra office manager told me the next appointment wasn't for over a month. The whole reason I was there was to get the tests that they SHOULD have given to me over the phone! I called my insurance to ask them if that was even legal. They were on the phone the whole time. I was calm and collected; did not raise my voice but I was angry, and insurance lady heard the whole transaction and told me I was well within my rights to complain and expect to be seen. Tamra the office mnger went into the back and returned with a SECURITY GUARD. (I am all of 110 lbs) It was creepy that they 'went there' in such a situation. When I told Tamra that I had my insurance carrier on the phone she THEN said she could give me an appointment in 2 DAYS. It went from over a month to 2 days in a matter of minutes! When I pointed that out she got VERY b i t c h y with me. This very tense event with the security guard was the only one of it's kind and totally unprecedented in itself. It was surely the reason they blacklist me with a RED ALERT button on my file
A month or so later I discovered that the reason these tests weren't showing up on Next MD-- and hence why I had to call them for two months with unreturned calls then drive an hour to get the tests only to be told I had to go home without seeing doctor and come back again-- THE REASON WAS BECAUSE THE OFFICE STAFF GOT MY EMAIL WRONG FROM THE OUTSET. It isn't .com. They made the mistake that caused me to be blacklisted for future doctors and assistance with my health. In the last few days it is happening again. They have been sitting on test for over 3 weeks and NOW the Next MD site strangely won't accept my password which I have previously used and written down. The site locked me out. The office hasn't answered called for 5 days.
The fact that this doctor allows his staff to be so abominably rude and incompetant and even slanderous in a MEDICAL SETTING where peoples lives and health are at stake is truly disgusting.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2831455].votes_count ]]

Submitted June 8, 2015

Dr. Hughes is the next best thing to House! I have been fighting with chronic pain for 9 years and NO doctor has been nice enough or even wanting to even help me! He is the first one to even know what one of my situations was without looking at my like I had a third eye and not only KNEW what it was but knew how to treat it! He also helped me with my migraine issues. I have had them for over 20 years weeks on end the kind that you just hide in the closet with a bucket and pray for no light or noise.. after meeting Dr. Hughes I have not had one in 3 months!! I am getting all the treatment that I have should have been getting from other doctors years ago! I wish more doctors were like him and had the caring, compassionate heart that still want to help people get better! I will ALWAYS be a loyal patient of his!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2831383].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 8, 2015

I was just diagnosed with cancer and am now seeing multiple doctors. Dr. Hughes is acting as my guide through all of this. He explains everything that I am having done and has been such a boost to my sanity, he uses English when he explains issues, not large medical terms. Great doctor!!!

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2722281].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 14, 2015

Dr. Hughes couldn't be more friendly and understanding! He is a delightful person with and I feel lucky that he is my doctor. He has demonstrated to me many times his knowledge and expertise. I am confident that I am in safe hands with his counsel. Thank you Dr. Hughes!

Was this rating useful? 2 [[ userState['ratings'][2720132].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 12, 2015

In today's complex medical system, Dr. Hugh's attention and passion for his job are a breath of fresh air. I've never felt rushed or unimportant. My transition to his office was initially because of a change in insurance but now its a welcome one!

Was this rating useful? 2 [[ userState['ratings'][2719358].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 12, 2015

I recently changed insurance plans and was referred to Dr Hughes by my physician. I am pleased to say it is the best recommendation I have ever received. Dr Hughes is kind, patient, personable, and genuinely cares about his patients. I would highly recommend him to anyone!

Was this rating useful? 2 [[ userState['ratings'][2716747].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 10, 2015

I recently moved from Los Angeles to Palm Springs and was referred to Dr. Hughes by a friend. I have to say, I made the right decision by making an appointment. Dr. Hughes took the time with me to answer any questions I had and fully explains any and every answer he gives you with his undivided attention. Dr. Hughes went above and beyond to do all the necessary tests to ensure I was in good health. He is very caring and knowledgeable and I would highly recommend him to any of my family or friends. For once, I don't feel like I was just another number. Thank you, Dr. Hughes!

Was this rating useful? 2 [[ userState['ratings'][2715956].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 10, 2015

My experience with this doctor echoes a lot of the negatives that have been expressed here. I was not comfortable with his demeanor and not confident in his medical care. He sits there like a mute and doesn't EXPLAIN anything... communication skills are lacking. Staff interaction was terrible and I dreaded having to ask them anything. It was like medical care by WALMART! I moved on to another medical group because I felt if I was ever in trouble and needed real help this doctor and staff wouldn't be there for me. Hopefully he will move on too... to another city!

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2713750].votes_count ]]

Submitted Feb. 8, 2015

He is a cold fish.. and his office staff are inept. He had me seem once a week for 4 weeks.. just trying to get blood pressure meds.. and the like. He has the bedside manners of a corpse.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2701305].votes_count ]]

Submitted Jan. 28, 2015

Dr Hughes and the office staff are very compassionate and thoughtful. My concerns are addressed, my referrals are completed in a timely manner, and the doctor is approachable but still knowledgeable. I will definitely recommend this office!

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2668101].votes_count ]]