Dr. Clifford M. Ratner

Foreign Lang: Dutch

Answers Email: Unknown
Online Appt. Scheduling: Unknown
Accepting New Patients:Y

Rating: 4.8 out of 5 (5 is best), based on 17 reviews. Dr. Clifford M. Ratner has an excellent overall rating on RateMDs.com. smile

New! - Questions and answers about this doctor

Q: Isa Dr. Ratner a retina specialist?    Email me    Answer it
Q: does Dr, Ratner specialize in treating uveitis?    Email me    Answer it

Ophthalmologist-related: eye treatment, eye diseases, vision, eye surgery, corneal surgery, oculoplastics and reconstruction surgery, intraocular lens implantation, refractive surgery, cataract surgery, corneal transplantation, glaucoma, low vision, uveitis, corneal infections, hereditary dystrophies, eye laser surgery, vision correction surgery
The following ratings and comments have not been substantiated by RateMDs.com.
Date Staff Punctual Helpful Knowledge Review Comments
RID: 5426590
25/04/14 5 5 5 5 About myself: I was born three months premature in the 1940s and have had eye problems for my entire life. In the 1990's I also contracted type two diabetes which has serious implications for the health of the eye. In 2008 I began to display serious retinal bleeding in my left eye. My GP recommended Dr. Ratner. Not only was the operation a success, but six years later I have absolutely no complications from the operation. Dr. Ratner's staff and his follow up over the years on this condition has been superlative. I consider the day that Dr. Ratner took my case to be one of the most fortunate days in my life.
Insurance: MVP Health
RID: 5323809
02/04/14 5 5 5 5 Dr. Ratner is an excellent eye surgeon and diagnostician with many years experience and well-respected in the medical community for his expertise. He explains everything completely and is thorough and detail-oriented. He has a calm and down-to-earth manner. I felt very confident in his abilities.
Insurance: Aetna
RID: 5209294
24/02/14 4 5 4 5 I'm trying to figure out why this Dr. has gotten such a bum rap in reviews. Granted, he's not the picture of an outgoing, smiling, perky human being. But he's a nice man and took the time to explain everything to me and respond to all my questions with regards to some floaters and flashes that I have been getting. He examined my retina thoroughly and said it was in fine shape. There aren't that many retina specialists in Westchester. I don't see any issue going to him.  Respond
RID: 4294845
27/01/14 5 5 5 5 Three years ago I visited Dr. Ratner with severe macular degeneration in one eye. By prompt and effective action he saved the eye. Today I am able to see close to 20/20 with glases in that eye.
RID: 3652960
10/01/14 5 5 5 5 Dr Ratner was consulted on an emergency basis when another surgeon had "dropped a lens" into my eye. He responded within 12 hours and arranged an immediate visit and a weekend visit and remedial surgery within a week of the failed surgery. he was composed at all times and was a calming influence when I was upset about losing sight in my right eye. Six weeks after my first consultation I was discharged with 20/25 sight in the injured eye.
RID: 3631439
13/12/13 5 5 5 5 I went to Dr Ratner after a visit to the eye doctor revealed a possible detached retina. He carefully explained the alternative treatments, and we immediately proceeded with a pneumatic retinopexy, a gas bubble inserted in the eye to reattach the retina, followed by laser and cryopexy to seal the tears. He was extremely professional, helpful, and ready to answer any questions and to explain the procedure. I would highly recommend him for any retina related procedure or consultation. His office staff are extremely professional, efficient, and friendly. Dr Ratner and his office made a an unfortunate medical condition as painless and positive as possible. I give all aspects of my experience the highest possible rating.  Respond

20/10/13 SYSTEM: First Name changed from "Clifford" to "Clifford M."
RID: 2623101
21/04/13 5 2 2 3 Referred to Dr. Ratner by my eye doctor. He diagnosed my problem, but never explained it, and said "there is no treatment available." He was very abrupt, but I saw him to monitor the eye a couple of times and then decided to get a second opinion. Thankfully, I met a wonderful retina specialist in NYC who thoroughly explained the issues with my CRVO (Central Retinal Vein Occlusion) and he started treatment the first day we met. Three and half months later, there is 90% improvement and hopefully more by next month. I would never refer anyone to Clifford Ratner.  Respond
RID: 2475955
16/11/12 5 5 5 5 Dr. Ratner performed surgery on my left eye and saved it from going blind. He showed me the before and after pictures and I got some appreciation of the years of training, knowledge, experience and painstaking effort Dr. Ratner brought to bear during the surgery to save my eye. My severe retinopathy was the kind of near hopeless condition where if I did nothing I would go blind and if I did the surgery, I could still go blind. Dr. Ratner from the beginning was always completely upfront and had the courage to tell me what my prospects were without any sugar coating. Well there is no margin for error in the type of surgery that Dr. Ratner performed, and fortunately things have turned out much better than expected. During my second opinion research, I discovered from his peers, Dr. Ratner is considered one of the leading eye surgeons in the country. Now, as my eye continues to improve, I am very grateful to Dr. Ratner for saving my eye and restoring my sight.
Insurance: United Healthcare
RID: 2379511
19/07/12 5 2 5 5 His bedside manner is poor, but he makes up for it with knowledge. Comes across as arrogant and cold. If you look past it, you see a man who knows what he is doing. Eventually, he thaws out and he is friendlier. The staff is super friendly and helpful. Prepare to wait up to an hour before you get seen.
Insurance: United Healthcare
RID: 2185121
01/06/12 5 5 5 5 I recently needed emergency attention due to a torn retina. Dr. Ratner took me in on a moment's notice and performed laser surgery after reviewing the options with me. He was excellent. I have since returned twice for follow up visits and each time he has been most professional and helpful. I would highly recommend him without any hesitation. He has been most accommodating with scheduling visits that work with my schedule. But the best recommendation I can give is that after the work he has done on my eye, my vision is back to normal!  Respond
RID: 1644198
26/11/11 5 5 5 5 Dr. Ratner, was great in the surgery of my right eye due to retnopthy. His skill and continued support has been very comforting to my wife and family.
Paid (or co-pay): $40
RID: 1313736
13/12/10 5 5 4 5 I have known Dr. Ratner for 5 + years. I have wet macular degeration. After trying various procedures he found the one that saved my eyesight.
RID: 1277841
22/10/10 5 4 5 5 Excellent doctor and retina specialist. He saved my husband's eye after severe trauma caused by a hurling rock hitting the eye. He's top notch and up to date on all new procedures. His office is run extremely efficiently and the staff is extremely helpful and kind.
RID: 1121906
06/03/10 5 5 5 5 I have been a patient of Dr. Ratner's for the past 12 years. His staff is most pleasant and knowledgeable as well as extremely helpful. Dr. Ratner took me through a difficult time in my life, having diabetic retinopathy, to retoring my vision back to nearly 20/20. His care, concern, skill, and monitoring of my eyes coupled with his expertise in his field, in my opinion are the very best. I cannot say enough good things about him. I cannot thank him enough for all he has done to restore my vision.
RID: 1111351
21/02/10 5 5 5 5 I have been a patient of Dr. Ratner's for 5+ years. He has treated me for wet macular degeneration in both eyes and he has saved my eyesight in my right eye with all of the latest up-to-date technology. He is extremely knowledgeable, personable, compassionate, considerate and understanding. I would HIGHLY recommend Dr. Ratner!
RID: 1106104
15/02/10 5 4 5 5 This is the second procedure I have had done by Dr. Ratner on my retina. He is very gentle, informative and his staff is wonderful. Makes you feel loved.
RID: 657993
06/08/08 5 5 5 5 He is by far the best Retinal Specialist this side of the Atlantic. The staff is unbelievably helpful and caring.
* - Rating left by a registered user