Rate Dr. Mark Pimentel

Dr. Mark Pimentel's Ratings

Diagnosed with a rare motility disorder and no hope for the future, I was confined to a hospital bed for more than a year and prescribed a cocktail of heavy painkillers and antiemetics by a team of "specialists" in Canada. After exhausting all of our options in Canada and being told there was nothing that could be done, we sent requests to the Mayo Clinic and Cedar Sinai hoping someone could help. The Mayo Clinic turned us down saying there was nothing more that they could offer that the Canadian GI specialists hadn't already tried. Cedar Sinai however contacted us to say Dr. Pimentel was willing to see me.

Arriving with little hope and accompanied by my mother, we spent two weeks in Los Angeles meeting with Dr. Pimentel and his team. After running some tests Dr. Pimentel diagnosed me, not with a motility disorder, but with gall stones in my bile ducts and adhesions that had prevented my bowels from properly working - something the Canadian doctors should have caught right away. With detailed reports and instructions, we returned to Canada and had to fight for a surgeon to take on the project. It took months before we found one that was willing to follow Dr. Pimentel's advice as all the others said there was no way that after such an exhaustive search in Canada, that something so simple could be missed. One surgeon even went so far as to say that for a price, US doctors will tell you what you want to hear.

Finally, we found a local surgeons who was willing to do the surgery, despite disagreeing with Dr. Pimentel's findings. I had the surgery a few months later and woke up from it like new. No longer did I require any of the drugs prescribed by the Canadian doctors. I was not bedridden, in pain or nauseous anymore. It's now been two years of back-to-normal health. Since the surgery I've been back at work (almost immediately) and my wife gave birth to our third child. Not only did Dr. Pimentel have the kindest bedside manner and a depth of knowledge no other doctor seemed to have. He saved my life. If it wasn't for him, I'm not sure how much longer I could have gone on living with as much pain and suffering as I had. I will never forget Dr. Pimentel and despite having free healthcare, I always recommend that people in Canada seek treatment in the US if they think there's nothing that can be done. Dr. Pimentel is the most wonderful doctor I've ever met. My family will forever be indebted to him.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2719114].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 12, 2015

Amazing doctor who really wants to help! The best in his field.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][89557].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 4, 2012

genius. This guy is pretty good as a doctor but he is amazing as a researcher. My most bothersome symptom by far is bloating and he is doing a lot of research on bacteria and how to reduce bloating. He has given people a real reason to be hopeful for the future.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][89556].votes_count ]]