Rate Dr. Wylie Goodman

Dr. Wylie Goodman's Ratings

I've been seeing her for 3+ years for various issues with occasional breaks. She doesn't just rely on standard practices, but incorporates both East and West best practices. She is the type of psychologist who wants to give you the tools you need so you can be empowered to make the necessary decisions and not solely rely on her for life unless that is what you. When I was satisfied with the information and tools I had in my arsenal she was supportive with me taking time off from our sessions. When another issue (ex. depression) or venture (ex. quitting my job with anxiety) came up I could easily start seeing her again (6+ months later) right where we left off. Over the 3+ years she helped me with depression, anxiety with changing/quitting jobs, time management, studying/ADD issues, getting off meds, meditation so I could turn my mind off/relax, dating, family relationships and I'm sure more that I can't remember. Right now I'm working with her to spot check me since I quit my job to start a new company (no income for 1yr). I can BS anyone, but not her. She keeps me honest and on track. Lastly, she knows all my habits so she sees my patterns going back 3+ years and calls me on it. Ask yourself, are you looking for a long term relationship with a psychologist, quick fix, someone to just talk to who can be supportive or something else. This review may sound too well crafted, but it's how I do all my reviews of anything else.

Meet:

Family relationships
ADD

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2628381].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 21, 2014

I did not enjoy my experience with Dr. Goodman. Given I only had a few sessions with her, it was all I needed to realize that she seemed more interested in her list of clients than the client she's interacting with at the moment. Her sessions are only 50-minutes, which I understand is the "industry standard" to allow her time to take a break between clients. However, the last two sessions I had with her, she tried to wrap up around 45 minutes, which is crazy for a the price per session. When I tried to fit in a last question before she rushed me out, she made a snarky comment that sounded like *I* was trying to squeeze more out of *her*. It really gives off the feeling that she doesn't truly care of what you have to say, but rather that you're paying for a pair of ears that occasionally suggest meditation exercises instead of helping you explore the source of your problems. The other reviews make her seem understanding and really invested in helping her client grow - yes, she's nice, yes she makes you feel comfortable. She asked a couple of good questions that got me thinking in my few sessions, but overall for the time and money spent, not a great fit.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2567459].votes_count ]]

Submitted Oct. 7, 2014

Dr. Wylie Goodman's response
I am sorry that this client did not have a positive experience in the few sessions s/he attended. Fifty minutes is a standard session length, but, yes, it can be the case that if a client poses a question that it does not seem feasible to properly address in a five-minute window near the end of the session, I may suggest to him/her that we might be better off taking that up at our next session. I do teach meditation to clients, if they want that, but I also offer many practical ideas for how people can change their lives. I must sadly disagree with the description of a statement I made as "snarky," as I cannot imagine ever acting in such a way. I may have instead made a provocative or challenging question to someone who often feels that they "don't get enough," to suggest that the same dynamic may be playing out even in our session. This is a way that therapists try to teach in-the-moment to clients who are trying to learn about where and how their behavior may be getting in the way of what they truly want.

Submitted Nov. 19, 2014

I saw Dr. Goodman for 3 1/2 years between 2009 and 2012. She helped me through an extremely difficult time during which I was going through a divorce, readjusting to being single, dealing with some family difficulties, and ultimately taking the first tentative steps back into dating and relationships. She was hands-down the most helpful therapist I have ever worked with. I found her practical approach to therapy extremely valuable and appreciated the "homework" assignments she would give me when I wanted them. I also liked the mix of conventional (Western) and Buddhist-oriented principles. Even now, almost two years after our last appointment, I find myself drawing almost daily on the tools and strategies I learned from her to help me make positive decisions and live well. One caveat: Dr. Goodman could be disorganized about scheduling, so if you are sensitive about that kind of thing, it might not be the best fit. Otherwise, I recommend her unequivocally.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2458911].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 14, 2014

I saw Dr. Goodman for a few years and she helped me through an incredibly hard time. I appreciated that she was willing to work with me on a short term basis and believed in setting goals. While I saw her, I got through a very hard time when I was diagnosed with breast cancer, needed to leave a toxic job and tumultuous relationship. She helped me make tough but healthy decisions. I highly recommend her. - J. Katz

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1964281].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 24, 2013

Dr. Goodman is a compassionate and caring woman who has given me hope when I had none and helped me navigate the Path to a better emotional life.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1964280].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 31, 2010

Dr. Goodman was wonderful. Gently guided me through a rough time.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1964279].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 30, 2010

Dr Goodman has a unique style which is both compassionate and encouraging in nature. She is a wonderful therapist, and makes you feel less like a patient, and more like someone you are just talking to. She offers unique meditation and visualization exercises that are rooted in Buddhism. They may seem difficult to embrace initially, but are incredibly helpful as you progress. Her therapeutic style is one of kind, as she offers homework exercises to help you utilize the tools you learn in sessions into real world situations. I highly recommend Dr. Goodman; for she creates an empathic bridge between her and her patients, and is truly invested in their well being. I have been seeing her for a short time, but have reaped the benefits, tremendously. A wonderful therapist for anyone who is in need.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1964278].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 22, 2010

Wylie was incredibly helpful to me at a time when everything seemed to be falling apart in my life. She was a very patient listener, and would not be afraid to try different approaches over time to see what worked best for me. What still resonates with me is how she would reinforce that my feelings are valid, and not wrong or bad, but also, that it is up to me how to respond to them.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1964277].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 15, 2010

It has been several years now since working with Wylie, but she was really a source of strength for me when I needed her. Ultimately, I was not able to get to the place I needed in my life in our work together, but she set a solid foundation and taught me invaluable tools that I have taken with me that continue to help me grow. I still think of her and many of her unique and personal techniques regularly and value or time together. I feel that she is very different from most therapists in that she doesn't sit back and say "now how does that make you feel" but instead guides you through your emotions. At times she became impatient or frustrated at my actions or state, which was very hard as a sensitive person. I realized then, and recognize now, it came from a place of truly wanting to see me happy and achieve my dreams. I'm working on it still, but no doubt she helped with that.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1964276].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 23, 2010

Wylie was very helpful at a time when I felt lost and distressed with my life. She is fabulous and I would highly recommend her.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1964275].votes_count ]]