Rate Dr. Thomas R. Shepler

Dr. Thomas R. Shepler's Ratings

Scheduled an appointment two weeks in advance for what I considered an emergency. Upon arrival the office staff was good and took initial history and xrays and suggested that DR will most likely recommend surgery...PA suggested that I was at risk for serious infection and she tentatively scheduled surgery for two days later while I waited for doc...and waited and waited....waited for doctor for over an hour while he was on a conference call concerning billing issues...he never came in, and staff had no idea when he would be available and suggested I come in the next day. Not a doctor I would want to be cutting on me as he never apologized, didn't even call the next day and for all he knew I could have been in crisis....billing issues before patient issues is not a good sign...

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1968406].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 24, 2012

I found Dr. Shepler via Arlington Urgent Care after a cat bite to the hand. His knowledge and experience lead to the aggressive treatment for infection that was needed. I was seen and operated on immediately because of the severity and I am very thankful that he was the doctor on call that day. In my opinion, he is absolutely brilliant!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1968405].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 12, 2011

My experience is that I should have gotten a second opinon. I was also shocked to see what was put in my medical charts, it almost made another doctor take me seriously about my pain. Thank god for MRI's

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1968404].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 4, 2011

My review here will be two fold and may seem contradicting, but go with me. I had 2 injuries that required I see a hand surgeon (different times) and both time Dr. Shepler's office found a way to get me in - very much appreicated. I also appreciated his conservative approach to repairing an injury I had in order to speed up the heeling process. That's the good part. The "bad" part is that he is NUTS. I don't say this about anyone. While I did appreciate the in-office surgery for my first injury, he did not TELL me he was doing surgery and just said he was going to "fix me up." Next thing I know I had NINE shots to numb my hand. Then, after about 10 minutes he said "okay, good, look over". I thought we were done with the surgery. We weren't. He had my entire thumb OPEN and was showing me the inside of my thumb where the tendon was cut. I almost passed out - it was awful. I also didn't know I was going to have a cast until I heard the word "plaster." Good repair - CRAZY dr!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1968403].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 9, 2011

I fractured my hand at work and was handed a workers comp list of doctors to see. I was scheduled for surgery on a Friday and decided to get a second opinion. I was able to see Dr. Shepler the day before my surgery. He was out of my network of doctors, however I got the "ok" to see him. I am so glad I did. He x-ray'ed my hand and informed me that I did not need surgery and set my hand in a splint and hard cast. I cancelled my surgery and told my workers comp that Dr. Shepler was going to treat my injury and no one else. Great guy, very informative and very professional.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1968402].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 25, 2011

Dr. Shepler was absolutely fantastic! Very thorough and meticulous. He made it easy to understand the procedure and he saved my hand. I highly recommend Dr. Shepler if you AT ALL care about your hand.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1968401].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 12, 2011

History was taken on the phone prior to the initial office visit. Once seen in the office x rays were taken along with a cortisone/ xylocaine injection of the carpal tunnel. Eventually surgery was necessary. The outcome has been simply wonderful! Both Dr. Shepler's knowledge & attention to detail were simply amazing. As an operating room RN I am more cognizant of procedures & was VERY impressed. The physical therapy at Apex therapy was tough. Exercises were clearly explained and reinforced with handouts and verbal direction. The result was simply amazing. I would highly recommend Dr. Shepler & his staff!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1968400].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 3, 2011

A truely amazing doctor/hand surgeon. Dr. Shepler saved my hand when i was 8 yoa. Dr. Shepler reconstructed my entire wrist, and repaired my nerves giving me full use of my hand. I was in surgery for about 15 hours. Fast forward years later I broke a finger hand and they treated me exceptionally even Dr. Shepler still remembered me from when I was 8 years old. Not only that he had me do some tests on my hand he repaired 14 years later. Now i have a broken right middle finger, and his staff were just amazing taking all of my information over the phone, and in the lobby they were polite, and friendly. The office is clean, bright, and shows dr. Shepler's pride of being a hand surgeon in the military, and his love for the upper extremities. Can't say enough about Dr. Shepler except that he is the best hand doctor in the Washington DC area!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1968399].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 15, 2009

I saw dr. shepler in 2006 after a fall that shattered my elbow leaving me with 7 breaks in my arm. Dr. Shepler and his staff were able to provide almost full motion back to my arm within 8 months. His bedside manner might not be great (opinion i have seen on this website), but he gets the job done above and beyond.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1968398].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 15, 2009

Dr. Shepler has treated both my daughter and myself. He is very thorough and straighforward. My daughter had emergency hand surgery and physicial therapy by his staff. Her outcome was excellent. He diagnosed my carpal tunnel and went out of his way to make sure that I was referred to a neurologist that he had confidence in. He is a very good listener and asks plenty of questions. He communicates clearly in a personal tone and his instructions are clear as well. When he says he will do something you can be sure that he will. The reports that he types while taking past and present patient history are very thorough and accurate. I would recommend Dr. Shepler to anyone. He is a very ethical doctor--which is a rarity to find these days.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1968397].votes_count ]]