Dr. James A. Charles

Grad. Year: 1978

Answers Email: Y
Online Appt. Scheduling: N
Accepting New Patients:Y

Profile updated 05/07/12    Submit profile update    Subscribe to profile updates

Rating: 4.1 out of 5 (5 is best), based on 27 reviews. Dr. James A. Charles has a good overall rating on RateMDs.com. smile

New! - Questions and answers about this doctor

Neurologist-related: nervous system, epilepsy, Alzheimer's disease, dementia, stroke, myasthenia gravis, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson's disease, peripheral neuropathy, neuromuscular disorders, sleep disorders
The following ratings and comments have not been substantiated by RateMDs.com.
Date Staff Punctual Helpful Knowledge Review Comments
RID: 5226034

06/03/14 1 1 1 1 This was the worst doctor I have EVER been to!! He automatically assumed he knew what I had before even looking at my MRI scans. He dismissed all possible diagnosis's because "i'm so young"; yes being young MUST mean I have to be healthy. He sent me home and I instantly saw another Neurologist who found the problem and ACTUALLY listened to me and did tests; while Dr. Charles did NONE of these things. stay away please do not waste your time.
RID: 4784623

05/02/14 SYSTEM: 'birds of a feather' rating (based on Medicare patients-in-common): 4.1  Respond
RID: 2600274

26/03/13 1 1 1 1 I can't believe this man has MD after his name! He is the worst physician I have ever seen. I am the CEO of a big coorportation in NYC, which I'm not stating should matter but I happen to pride myself of excellent costomer serive and honesty. My 18 year old son who suffers from Epilepsy since birth was told by Dr. Charles that he does not have epilepsy but that he has MS. My son was tested by NY top docs, had EEG's, spinal taps, blood work..you name it he had it, but yet Dr. Charles haveing all this information(results) states he is the best Neuro in the tri state, takes my son off his meds, causing him to have a massive seizure! I will never bring my son thre agai and will not recommend him to anyone...stay away!!!!!
See Responses
RID: 2290997

25/06/12 1 1 1 1   See Responses
RID: 2003716
10/04/12 5 5 5 5 Dr Charles cured my migraines! He is the best, and his office is very helpful with my insurance issues. My friend gave me his name, and iI am finally pain free, by going to someone who knows what he is doing.
RID: 1536987

13/09/11 3 2 2 3 I have seen this doctor about five times. I saw him for a head trauma. I asked the ins company to find me a diff doctor because other people told me to avoid him including my own doctor. I am suffering from a concussion and have been. He was helpful in trying to get me to understand the process. He told me that My test look clear and I have to be getting better. Yet i'm not. He hasn't listened to me my last three visits. I dont get a chance to even talk to him to express suicidal thoughts i've had. He treated my symptoms for the first two visits then just asked how its going. Doesn't know what he prescribed me or how often i take it. I wish my ins company would have found me a doc that deals with concussions but wasn't that lucky... (Written by concerned wife, but they are my husbands words and ratings, he's still unable to used computer. I saw him one time with my husband and he seemed pleasant and helpful)
Insurance: Workers Comp
RID: 1490691
19/07/11 5 5 5 5 DR.JAMES CHARLES OF BAYONNE, AND NORTH BERGEN, NJ is the finest neurologist who has helped me with my migraines, and pain. His office nurse was very helpful, and the other people there really care. He is so smart, and knows everything about migraines, and the treatment of headaches. Each visit shows improvement, and I have been working as a teacher without losing time off.
RID: 1466670
17/06/11 5 5 5 5 Dr. Charles is very knowledgeable and takes the time to understand your problem. He is worth the trip if you do not live in Bayonne, NJ.  See Responses

RID: 1074329
10/01/10 4 3 4 5 This doctor spent extra time with my Dad. He explained to us why we had to take away his car keys. Dad was not happy to lose his independance, but we know its the safe decision.  Respond
RID: 1062738
22/12/09 5 5 5 5 Dr. Charles is the best! He is caring, thorough, and patient, and extremely knowledgeable. I would recommend him to anyone.
RID: 1032592
12/11/09 5 5 5 5 Mom called me in Florida so I flew here and took her to an emergency appointment with Dr.Charles. He explained how her dizziness could be seizures and took the time to plan a treatment. His office nurse spent a long time talking to me also. We appreciated how this doctor spoke to us.
RID: 1004838
07/10/09 5 5 5 5 The exam was complete and took a long time. This doctor really listened to my complaints. He gave me medicines for my back pain and prescibed therapy and treatment. I feel better already; and when I called him, he called me soon afterwards.
RID: 941562
21/07/09 5 5 5 5 I was sent my by lawyer and the report of this doctor helped me win my case. When I was hurt at work, my injuries were substantial. I received the right compensation thanks to this doctor and his honest exam. My family will be forever grateful.
Insurance: Workers Comp
Respond

03/05/09 SYSTEM: 3 positive duplicate or disallowed ratings automatically removed
RID: 865123
19/04/09 5 5 5 5 This is the greatest Neurologist I have every seen in my many many years of seeing Neurologists. I have gone through tons and this guy is on the absolute TOP FLOOR !!!!!! I'm not seeing anybody else but him for the rest of my life !!!! Took my friend and her son there and she agreed with me totaly. If you need a Neurologist for anything go see this doctor for sure !
RID: 608223
06/06/08 5 5 5 5 Dr. Charles is a wonderful Neurologist. I highly recommend him to anyone needing neurological assistance. !!!!!
RID: 605584
03/06/08 5 4 5 5 Dr. Charles manages my seizures so well that I don't have them anymore. It was hard at school because all the other kids would make fun of me. Now I am able to study ok and want to be a doctor myself someday. Thank you everybody there. (and they have candy in the waiting room while you watch TV!) Good magazines too, but I do my homework instead, because my mom is with me for most of my visits.
RID: 588612
12/05/08 5 4 5 5 Dr. Charles took good care of my Mother, Millie. My sister and I bring her to the office and have found him to be compassionate and kind. His nurse and staff are helpful and understanding. This is a difficult time but they have helped us deal with Mom's dementia as best we can. Thank you to Dr. Charles because his office staff is so wonderful and caring. He always calls us back when we have extra questions. He is the best.
RID: 565427

14/04/08 1 5 1 2 This doctor was arrogant, rude and unprofessional. He has a very bad reputation among other doctors. My own doc didn't want me to go to him. He neglected me in the hospital for 7 days. In addition to neurology, he supposedly has a psychiatry degree and should therefore be able to understand how neurological disorders such as seizures interact with depression or other psychiatric disorders. Or how a person who had a stroke might behave under stress... he simply doesn't. But, he sure knows how to send bills and harass family member who live in other states for the money you refuse to pay.
See Responses
RID: 530259
04/03/08 5 5 5 5 Dr. Charles is an excellent physician...he is consistently interested in the quality of his patient's health and goes the extra mile to encourage patients to do what they need to do for optimum healing and health to occur. I know this first hand not only for myself , but also for my husband who struggled with quiting smoking...Dr. Charles, despite my husbands's stubbroness, continued to check in, encourage and rally my husband to achieve his result. He is nowo 3 months smoke free. This result is so much because of Dr. Charles' persistance and dedication
Insurance: Humana
RID: 517454
18/02/08 5 5 5 5 Found that Dr. Charles has been listed as one of the NY Metro top Doctors, and now I know why! In addition to his expert diagnostic and treatment skills, his staff actually makes your MRI/x-ray appointments for you!! They call you back with test results. All phone calls are answered by a 'real' person. Then I found also his web site, because they encourage patients to be informed.It is www.jamesacharlesmd.medem.com
RID: 517375
18/02/08 5 5 5 5 Found that Dr. Charles is listed as one of the Top Doctors in the NY Metro area and I know why!In addition to his expert diagnostic and treatment skills, his staff actually makes your MRI and xray appointments to help you. They call you with test results. They are friendly and helpful and the entire practice is organized and efficient. All phone calls are answered by a 'real' person!!I also found his web site for anyone interested: it is www.jamesacharlesmd.medem.com
RID: 380022
05/08/07 5 5 5 5 So happy to have found Dr.Charles He is CERTIFIED IN HEADACHE MEDICINE as well as his Neurology work. This is the Doctor to use if you have migraine. He knew of a special treatment that worked for me that no other doctor had.(and I have gone to many because my migraines were unbearable). Now I am back to work and free of headache pain for the first time. Call Dr. Charles office and they will give you an appointment if you want relief from migraine like I got.  Respond
RID: 48558
02/10/06 5 5 5 Dr. Charles is great. There is nobody else who could help my uncle's Parkinson's Disease. He knew what drug to give, and how to slow the tremors. I recommend him if you need treatment by a Neurologist.
RID: 48340
01/10/06 5 5 5 Every visit I have had over the past 20 years to this gifted neurologist is very comprehensive, honest & helpful. That takes a long time for each of my visits. This website should be aware that many disgruntled and out of work patients have secondary gains that create false medical symptons, as written below. These people miss appointments give incorrect information and contribute to the abuse of the insurance industry. The patient below sounds like someone who may have been unhappy with a truthful evaluation and did not want to go back to work, or get on with his life, for whatever secondary gain based on an entitlement mentality.This web site must authenticate claims from people with disabilities that do not exist. Dr. Charles has been treating my neurological illness. He is the best doctor in his speciality. The office staff goes the extra mile to arrange my tests and help me with any questions. Dr. Charles returns my phone calls promptly,& sees me for emergency help wthout delay.
RID: 44552
10/09/06 4 5 5 Dr. Charles cured my migraine headaches. The office staff is pleasant and helped me understand my medicine. Thank you.  See Responses
RID: 44166

07/09/06 2 1 1 This Doctor performed an Independent Medical Evaluation ordered by my Insurance Company, after examining me for less than 2 minutes, he decided that I did not needed more treatment, even when i told him that I still had severe lower back pain. I had to stop medical care and returned to work, two weeks later, I was admited in Hackensack hospital, becaused I coul not feel my legs, I underwent lower back surgery, because one of the disc in my back that was not healed broke and compressed my spine. He should be in jail, but I am sure that the insurance companies are very happy with him. BE CAREFULL WITH HIM THERE ARE MUCH BETTER OPTIONS.  See Responses
RID: 35890
13/07/06 5 5 5 Dr. Charles is brilliant triple-board certified in Neurology,Electromyography and Electrophysiology. He has published landmark studies and continues with a full-time office practice in Bayonne, and North Bergen, NJ. The office staff is polite, friendly and goes the additional distance of helping with health and insurance issues. Dr. Charles is well respected by his peers and patients and has a high sucesss rate in treating all aspects of neurological illness. He has helped me with my problem and made my life normal again, with the right treatment when no other Neurologist could help. Thank you, I am well again, because of this wonderful Doctor.
Insurance: HealthPartners