You may also like

Rate Dr. Richard Chau

Dr. Richard Chau's Ratings

His technique for removing teeth is good but his freezing skill is very poor. He likes to stab you with the shot other dentists like to work in the shot so you won't feel the pain of getting a shot.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2782765].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 20, 2015

Dr. Richard Chau's response
We are sorry to hear that your experience with local anesthesia at our office was not up to your expectation. Most patients tolerate the local anesthetic injection quite well even though there is a mild stinging sensation. Unfortunately, it is difficult to make an injection completely pain free and each injection experience is different depending on the location in the mouth, whether the tooth is infected, and the overall pain threshold of a patient. For example, the injections in the roof of the mouth are usually the most painful, and teeth that are infected are more difficult to get numb. Some patients also are naturally more difficult to get numb due to anatomical differences in the jaw bone and the location of the nerve to be anesthetized. Using topical anesthetic prior to injection can help dull or reduce the sensation of the needle poke, but does not remove the stinging sensation while the anesthetic solution is injected. The anesthetic solution is slightly acidic and unfortunately will always sting. This pain is similar to eating a lemon (or another acidic food) when one has a canker sore or open wound in the mouth.

For patients who are scared or cannot tolerate the local anesthetic injection, we offer pre-operative oral sedation or intravenous sedation. We have also investigated the use of a needle-free anesthetic delivery system but we feel the technology is not quite right yet for use in the oral cavity. If in the future there are improved anesthetic delivery systems or techniques we would use them within our office. Our goal is to make each patient appointment as comfortable as possible.

Submitted May 18, 2015

Got my 4 wisdom teeth removed and it went really well. I expected the worst and so it turned out more then good. Had really little swelling the first day, barely anything to be honest and no pain. Everytime i felt some pain dr chau would give me some more anesthetic. The procedure was quick. 30-45 mins short. Had no pain after and was just consistent on t3 pain killers for 1 day although i never felt pain was coming, just took it cuz i was scared that it would. Woke up next day, pain free, no swelling at all. Maybe even a skinnier face. Would recommend him as he is really informative and gives good patient care.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2748220].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 14, 2015

I had been at Dr. Richard Chau office only once for a biopsy, it was a short visit, but was very impressed, not the beautiful layout of the office, but the staff working there, the receptionist , the nurse and of course includes Dr. Chau himself, there are extremely gentle and friendly, make me very comfy, though I had only a biopsy, but still nervous.
They are all very helpful, especially Dr. chau. he is very good and professional. even called me on phone, telling me the result, knowing I am very anxious and nervous of the result.
he explained and comforted so well , in detail, save me a trip to go back for review.

I myself had a very good and comfy experience at his office. thanks you . Dr. Chau and all your staff.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2685632].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 16, 2015

I was referred to Dr. Chau by my dentist for my 4 wisdom teeth extractions. The first thing that you notice is the VERY attentive, caring, and nice staff at the receptionist who greet you. Second, you will meet a dental assistant who happily answers any questions during your consultation and provides you with crucial information before the procedure (do nots, dos, etc.) When I first met Dr. Chau, he was an extremely personable and friendly guy! As a university student who had work the next day (not advised), I was quite stressed, but Dr. Chau's diligence, personality, and professionalism throughout and after the procedure made it very comfortable for me. The procedure was quick and painless. Both the receptionists processed my school/work insurance with ease, as well as called me a few hours after my procedure (when I was less drowsy) to remind me of how to take care of myself and the prescriptions. HIGHLY recommended!! I am very glad my dentist referred me to Dr. Chau. Thank you.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2231297].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 20, 2014

Dr. Richard Chau's response
Thank you for taking time to write a review about our staff and Dr. Chau. We are happy to hear that you had a good experience at our office, and thank you for your positive comments.

Submitted Nov. 22, 2014

I had all 4 wisdom teeth out under local anesthetic. The procedure was fairly quick with minimal discomfort. Dr. Chau is very knowledgeable and friendly. Friendly staff as well.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2231296].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 30, 2014

Dr. Richard Chau's response
Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear that you had a positive experience.

Submitted Nov. 22, 2014

I want to commend Dr Chau for a comfortable experience. However, I truly want to commend his assistant Alice. Where do I begin? SHE IS AMAZING! Very professional but so personal that I can talk to her about my greatest fears. I am a nurse myself, but of all my years of practice, never seen any one so dedicated and so comfortable to talk to. I am fearful of dentists, but she changed my mind. When she held my hand, and gave a comforting grasp, my worries were over. Thank you!! Well worth to even go back to talk her.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][179354].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 9, 2013

Dr Chau removed four wisdom teeth from my son and he did an outstanding job. My son only had minimal swelling and did not even need any pain killers.He is very personable, competent and ultra patient. He doesn't come cheap but he is worth every penny! He has my recommendation for sure!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][179353].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 5, 2013

Communication was a challenge in this office as the staff was not proficient in the English language. I had to explain to the receptionist how to process my insurance claim, but it kept getting rejected multiple times. I gave up and decided to have the receptionist at my family dentist's office process it for me. Secondly, I was concerned about the medication that I was prescribed, and I asked the nurse about it. I wasn't convinced with the answer I was given since she didn't seem confident with it herself, and she didn't ask the doctor about it. I instead went straight to my family doctor instead, and I'm glad I did. He advised me not to take it as it would conflict with the my present medications. Otherwise, the surgery itself went fine.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][179352].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 24, 2013

Dr. Richard Chau's response
(Our original response to this review, as were other responses to other reviews, were removed after RateMDs updated their website recently) We regret that your experience was not ideal, and we have since made changes to our office to improve our service to patients. If you have any further concerns, please contact our office and Dr. Chau would be pleased to discuss them with you.

Submitted Nov. 22, 2014

Dr. Chau is a knowledgeable and capable oral surgeon. He explains everything beforehand (except when tipping the chair back which made me jump a few times). His prices are a little high. I came out of the anesthesia before the procedure was finished which was a little unnerving but he put me back under. His staff are very nice and friendly.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][179351].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 11, 2013

Dr. Richard Chau's response
We are happy to hear that you had a good experience at our office. In regards to the anesthesia, we perform a mild to moderate IV sedation, and when the surgery is complete, we stop administering the sedation medication. Sometimes a patient will start to arouse while we are cleaning the mouth after the surgery. The drowsy patient may perceive that the pressure sensations in the mouth and noises in the room are from during the surgery even though the surgery is complete. When the stimulation is over, the patient will fall back to sleep. We believe this is probably what you experienced. Thank you for taking the time to write this review.

Submitted Nov. 22, 2014

Dr. Chau took out 1 wisdom & 1 molar in one surgery session for my 86 years old father who is having Alzheimer's disease and swallowing difficulties. Dr. Chau was very knoweldgeable and explained all of the possible risks and just what to expect from the surgery. His staff were supper friendly and helpful. They never made me feel less important. They tried every effort to accommodate my father's needs. They also called to make sure my father was doing okay after the surgery. Fee was reasonable in terms of safter and attentive services. Seniors enjoy special rates. Dr. Chau certainly brought his heart to his profession.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][179350].votes_count ]]