Rate Dr. Richard Chau

Dr. Richard Chau's Ratings

I was referred to Dr. Chau by my dentist for my 4 wisdom teeth extractions. The first thing that you notice is the VERY attentive, caring, and nice staff at the receptionist who greet you. Second, you will meet a dental assistant who happily answers any questions during your consultation and provides you with crucial information before the procedure (do nots, dos, etc.) When I first met Dr. Chau, he was an extremely personable and friendly guy! As a university student who had work the next day (not advised), I was quite stressed, but Dr. Chau's diligence, personality, and professionalism throughout and after the procedure made it very comfortable for me. The procedure was quick and painless. Both the receptionists processed my school/work insurance with ease, as well as called me a few hours after my procedure (when I was less drowsy) to remind me of how to take care of myself and the prescriptions. HIGHLY recommended!! I am very glad my dentist referred me to Dr. Chau. Thank you.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2231297].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 20, 2014

Dr. Richard Chau's response
Thank you for taking time to write a review about our staff and Dr. Chau. We are happy to hear that you had a good experience at our office, and thank you for your positive comments.

Submitted Nov. 22, 2014

I had all 4 wisdom teeth out under local anesthetic. The procedure was fairly quick with minimal discomfort. Dr. Chau is very knowledgeable and friendly. Friendly staff as well.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2231296].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 30, 2014

Dr. Richard Chau's response
Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear that you had a positive experience.

Submitted Nov. 22, 2014

I want to commend Dr Chau for a comfortable experience. However, I truly want to commend his assistant Alice. Where do I begin? SHE IS AMAZING! Very professional but so personal that I can talk to her about my greatest fears. I am a nurse myself, but of all my years of practice, never seen any one so dedicated and so comfortable to talk to. I am fearful of dentists, but she changed my mind. When she held my hand, and gave a comforting grasp, my worries were over. Thank you!! Well worth to even go back to talk her.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][179354].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 9, 2013

Dr Chau removed four wisdom teeth from my son and he did an outstanding job. My son only had minimal swelling and did not even need any pain killers.He is very personable, competent and ultra patient. He doesn't come cheap but he is worth every penny! He has my recommendation for sure!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][179353].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 5, 2013

Communication was a challenge in this office as the staff was not proficient in the English language. I had to explain to the receptionist how to process my insurance claim, but it kept getting rejected multiple times. I gave up and decided to have the receptionist at my family dentist's office process it for me. Secondly, I was concerned about the medication that I was prescribed, and I asked the nurse about it. I wasn't convinced with the answer I was given since she didn't seem confident with it herself, and she didn't ask the doctor about it. I instead went straight to my family doctor instead, and I'm glad I did. He advised me not to take it as it would conflict with the my present medications. Otherwise, the surgery itself went fine.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][179352].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 24, 2013

Dr. Richard Chau's response
(Our original response to this review, as were other responses to other reviews, were removed after RateMDs updated their website recently) We regret that your experience was not ideal, and we have since made changes to our office to improve our service to patients. If you have any further concerns, please contact our office and Dr. Chau would be pleased to discuss them with you.

Submitted Nov. 22, 2014

Dr. Chau is a knowledgeable and capable oral surgeon. He explains everything beforehand (except when tipping the chair back which made me jump a few times). His prices are a little high. I came out of the anesthesia before the procedure was finished which was a little unnerving but he put me back under. His staff are very nice and friendly.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][179351].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 11, 2013

Dr. Richard Chau's response
We are happy to hear that you had a good experience at our office. In regards to the anesthesia, we perform a mild to moderate IV sedation, and when the surgery is complete, we stop administering the sedation medication. Sometimes a patient will start to arouse while we are cleaning the mouth after the surgery. The drowsy patient may perceive that the pressure sensations in the mouth and noises in the room are from during the surgery even though the surgery is complete. When the stimulation is over, the patient will fall back to sleep. We believe this is probably what you experienced. Thank you for taking the time to write this review.

Submitted Nov. 22, 2014

Dr. Chau took out 1 wisdom & 1 molar in one surgery session for my 86 years old father who is having Alzheimer's disease and swallowing difficulties. Dr. Chau was very knoweldgeable and explained all of the possible risks and just what to expect from the surgery. His staff were supper friendly and helpful. They never made me feel less important. They tried every effort to accommodate my father's needs. They also called to make sure my father was doing okay after the surgery. Fee was reasonable in terms of safter and attentive services. Seniors enjoy special rates. Dr. Chau certainly brought his heart to his profession.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][179350].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 14, 2012

Very nice doctor, but just too pricey. Was quoted $500 by the doctor to have the tooth out, and that included their consultation fee, which I still found to be too high and ridiculous. My own dentist that sent me to him thought it was too high as well. I instead went to another oral surgeon in Surrey, and only paid $190, and that included their $35 exam fee. My wife was relieved to see the bill for that one instead. Easier on the pocket book.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][179349].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 17, 2012

Dr. Richard Chau's response
Thank you for your comments. We regret that we were unable to help you. Unfortunately, without additional information, we cannot explore the circumstances of your experience at our office. We hope that your surgery went well, and if we can be of any further assistance, please contact us.
We would also like to take this opportunity to provide some background information on fees.
Please note that Dr. Richard Chau is a certified specialist in oral and maxillofacial surgery, and his fees will be more than a general dentist since he has additional training, expertise, specialized equipment, and staff with advanced training to make one’s surgical experience as comfortable, safe, and efficient as possible.
Although there are other practitioners who extract teeth and perform oral surgery, they may not be specialists like oral and maxillofacial surgeons. A practitioner who advertises him/herself as an “oral surgeon” or “dental surgeon” is usually practising under a general dentist license. You can check if a practitioner is a licensed specialist by checking the Directory of Dentists on the College of Dental Surgeons of BC website (http://www.cdsbc.org/). Please see the Canadian Dental Association website for more information on the dental specialties (http://www.cda-adc.ca/en/becoming/becoming/specialties).

Submitted Nov. 22, 2014

Very knowledgable and courteous. Has treated myself and other family members well. Takes the time to even call to follow up to see how i was doing.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][179348].votes_count ]]