Dr. Derek Haaland

5 1 3.3

You may also like

Rate Dr. Derek Haaland

Dr. Derek Haaland's Ratings

I have seen this doctor for 6 years for my RA and always feel he is trying to push heavy medications on me. He is very quick to prescribe medications or multiple joint injections even though I have expressed deep concern for long term harm on my body and joints because of already receiving a few. He literally brushes off my concerns and doesn't take me seriously. I ALWAYS wait a minimum of 2+ hours after my appointment time to see him- and regularly hear and see him talking casually and joking with reception staff and student assistants behind the office barrier- after I have already been waiting an absurd amount of time . It is so unprofessional and I always leave feeling like my time and health is not valuable- - and it always costs me the whole $20 day parking rate at McMaster . He spends very little time assessing me - lately the student residents have been doing all that and he just comes in .at the end... Very unprofessionally and one time, sat on the bed there - acting very disinterested -kicking his feet while chatting to mostly his assistant.

When pregnant he does ensure proper tests are taken to ensure fetal heart development without blockages- and will refer you to another physician if need be.

Office hours only on Fridays in Hamilton. I'm sorry to say that I would not recommend dr. Haaland.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2847554].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 24, 2015

Was referred to him by my family Dr. I have been battling back pain for quite sometime now. Ill admit the wait in the office was quite a long wait with my pain it was an issue i was in tears when I was finally called in from my discomfort. His nurse on staff that was with me for most of the visit was very pleasant and when I got to see Dr Haaland he was very helpful and willing to really get everthing started. I was given a fibromyalgia diagnosis and currently are running tests to get other things ruled out. He and his staff were very pleasant the receptionists not so much but other than that I was happy overall with the visit and the progress that we are making with getting stuff checked off the list of stuff to rule other things out.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2844891].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 22, 2015

I have been a patient of Dr. Haaland at McMaster for over a year. After seeing numerous specialist prior, I was feeling like a lost cause! He is very kind, caring and genuine!! Very knowledgeable, if he doesn't have the answers, he will tell you. Then divert you to the specialist that will!!
Yes, your first impression of him can be seemed as rushed, but once he takes you on as a patient it changes. Give him a chance!! He is well worth it!!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2838621].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 15, 2015

Dr Haaland has changed my life!! Diagnosis & plan of action in no time. He is competent and reassuring. We all hate waiting in a dr's office but we all like extra attention...

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2819412].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 27, 2015

Dr. Haaland appears very busy. He did seem knowledgeable but he didn't ask me about my lifestyle. First appt he threw meds at me & a lab test report. Which cost me over 200$ for the bloodwork, cause it wasn't covered by OHIP. I had to call the office back after 3 months to get the test results of the bloodwork. When I went back for the results. He told me my diagnoses & threw more meds at me. Ummmm, the first meds that he prescribed we're going to need 6 months to know if they were working. In the end. The first meds did the trick & I never started the second prescription. On my 3rd visit he seemed pleased with my progress & so was I. So do I have warm & fuzzy feelings about him? No. But quite frankly, I don't care about that. I just want to physically feel better & he did that for me. So thank you Dr. Haaland. If you aren't looking to be coddled but want to feel better then I highly recommend him.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2818945].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 27, 2015

Absolutely horrible experience. Wait times for both visits 2hrs+. Left last appointment after a 2 1/2 hour wait and still did not see him. After having a wonderful Rheumatologist with Sick Kids, dealing with a doctor who has such disregard for his patient's time is a slap in the face!!!!!! How much does he really care about the people he is supposed to be caring for???

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2813170].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 20, 2015

Seen Dr Haaland for the first time. I guess I lucked out. Only waited half hr. He seemed very knowledgable and made me feel like he was competent enough to solve my issues.... Yes he ordered lots of test but how else do you start eliminating things to get to the actual problem.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2808817].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 15, 2015

I was very impressed with dr. haaland and his team. I would highly recommend him to anyone needing the services he offers. very knowledgable, caring, honest and understanding. he also has a good sense of humour. I wasn't impressed with the 1.5 hour wait to see him but I was informed that there would be a wait before I arrived.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2801338].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 8, 2015

Dr Haaland seems more interested in what his patients can do for his career than he does think about his patients needs. He shows up 2 hours after the first booked appointment regularly. I am sure he is billing Ohip for those appointment times and proceeds to rush through each patient taking literally no time to address the patients needs. I requested a second opinion on his diagnosis and he advised that none of his peers would ever disagree with him. This is a life impacting diagnosis and it was extremely unprofessional comment by dr Haaland. I do not recommend dr Haaland to anyone who wants to know more about their diagnosis. Or wants to know they can trust their doctor. A professional would be happy to collaborate with a peer on a patients behalf. An arrogant self important person would reject another perspective.

Was this rating useful? 3 [[ userState['ratings'][2780671].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 17, 2015

I would recomend this dr to anyone who asks,if it weren't for him i'd be dead by now,he found cancer when my own family dr brushed me off and told me to wait and see,i drive 4 hours to see him and it is worth the drive,he is compasionate,extremly knowledgable, the wait time can be long but i know that is because he is tending to paitients ....keep up the great work doc,we need more like you...

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2704586].votes_count ]]