You may also like

Rate Dr. Itoro E. Ibia

Dr. Itoro E. Ibia's Ratings

I've had four psychiatrists and two therapists since I was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder in 1999. Dr. Ibia is by orders of magnitude the best psychiatrist I've ever had. She's a psychiatrist, not a therapist, but she talks to me! And she listens! She has told me things about the meds I've been on for 16 years that I never learned in the 12 years I was on them before beginning to work with her - about interactions with OTC drugs and possible long-term side-effects - and she is extremely diligent about monitoring for these effects via asking questions and ordering regular blood tests.

Dr. Ibia asks incisive questions about my life to determine whether anything medically significant is going on, while at the same time being warm, supportive, and nonjudgmental. Her stated goal is to keep me in a place where my symptoms are being managed - not just where I'm surviving them - and she strikes what I perceive to be an excellent balance in being willing to "tweak" my meds to deal with changes in my mental health, without reaching for drugs as a solution to everything. She is competent and caring and extremely concerned that I am getting the most helpful care possible. Possibly the best doctor - not just psychiatrist - I've ever had.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2826631].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 3, 2015

Dr. Ibia greeted me a few minutes before my appointment to let me know that she was running "a few minutes" behind. Twenty minutes after my appointment should have begun, I still had not been seen. I knocked on her door to ask how much longer I should expect to wait. She told me 5 minutes, which was accurate. When I was finally seen, I expressed to her in a serious but not disrespectful tone that I felt she was rude and unprofessional to make me wait 25 minutes, especially during a work day, to see her, she responded by telling me that it was "customary" for her to run behind regularly and pointed to notices on her corkboard expressing such sentiments. She proceeded to bring up my "irritability" about being made to wait three more times during our consultation (did I mention that this was the first time I was seeing her?), postulating that I was in the wrong for feeling the way I did. Agree with the reviewers about Dr. Ibia jumping to bipolar disorder.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1969880].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 28, 2013

Ive been seeing Dr. Ibia almost 8 years - since my previous doctor and I mutally (and amicably) fired each other over differing opinions on how to medicate during my pregnancy. She promised we could find a way to work together and we have. Yes, I would agree that she's a medication doctor. Sometimes that's what someone with a mental illness needs, and if it's not they should probably primarily be seeing a psycologist. She listens to me and helps me keep my costs reasonable, but will insist on visits if she thinks there is a need. Our one post-partum couples councelling did not go well, but I think that was a bias towards the parient she knew. I am not a talk therapy person. The office is small and staffed only by the doctor. If you're willing to use email and text, appointments are easy to make; I have never had it take more than a week and I've had them the next day when I was in need. I don't mind waiting a bit - if she runs over with them that shows she takes the time when needed.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1969877].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 30, 2012

She doesn't listen to you or care about you as a patient or person. She is quick to diagnose you. It seems to her the whole world is bipolar or schizophrenic. She just wants to over medicate you. Worst psychiatrist

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1969876].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 15, 2011

My wife saw this hack for 6 months... misdiagnosed her with a mood disorder and proscribed meds that later are part of a huge class action law suit (Quetiapine). She disregarded any clinical warnings about using such drugs with prior TBI history. She is very quick to push mood and personality disorders. I seriously question this practitioners capability or clinical knowledge. See this physician at your own risk. We are considering a malpractice lawsuit. Further get a second opinion if you are a current patient and if she is giving you free meds samples repeatedly you are part of a clinical trial.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1969879].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 14, 2011

This doctor is so quick to diagnose people with bipolar disorder. She didn't really listen to what I had to say. I had postpartum depression and she made me feel like I was a psycho. I found a better psychiatrist.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1969878].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 17, 2011

I have seen close to 10 different similar doctors over the past 15 years and Dr. Ibia is the best by far. She asks questions, listens and takes time to get to the root of your issue. There is something special about her style that shows she is trying to pinpoint issues, not just perscribe medication. Highly recommend to anyone needing a doctor in this area.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1969875].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 1, 2010

Dr. Ibia is a terrific psychiatrist and is far and away the best doctor (not just psychiatrist) I have ever visited. At the start of my treatment, she took the time to understand my history and question the diagnoses of my previous doctors (something the others never bothered to do). Now, I am on a different treatment course and feel better than I can ever remember. Dr. Ibia is one of those rare doctors who sincerely cares for her patients and this is reflected in the results of my treatment. I highly recommend Dr. Ibia.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1969874].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 28, 2010

I highly recommend Dr. Ibia. She is in a class by herself compared to many other doctors having the same specialty. She asks many questions and listens to your answers. She is knowlegable and dilligent. She will spend time with you and really attempt to work out your problem. At times, there can be a wait, but that shows you she is willing to listen to her patients and not give them and rx and push them out the door.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1969873].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 1, 2009

Dr. Ibia is an outstanding doctor. I came to see her after leaving my previous phychiatrist who was more interested in just throwing meds at me and shoving me out the door (Hein Tran in Herndon). I came to her severely depressed and with severe panic attacks. The first thing she said to me was if she couldn't help me find relief within 2 weeks she would refer me to another doctor for a second opinion...which stunned me. But she did help and, because of my up and down mood disorder, she watches my meds very closely to make sure they are meeting my changing needs. Being a former General Practitioner, her knowledge of meds and conditions extends beyond just physiciatry...she pushed me to get my thyroid checked and sure enough I was hypo which can cause depression. You'll be lucky to have her!!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1969872].votes_count ]]