Rate Dr. Kevin P. Speer

Dr. Kevin P. Speer's Ratings

Dr. Speer replaced my husband's right shoulder, and his staff did 6 weeks of PT on the shoulder. Everything about Dr. Speer's skill is incredible. My husband had to take pain meds only ONCE after he left the hospital. The staff at Duke Raleigh respects Dr. Speer and has his orders and instructions down pat! His front office staff can be a little snippy, but the scheduling nurses and PA's are wonderful.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2644957].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 7, 2014

Great Doctor! Excellent staff all around! Considerate of all my disabilities. Spent time explaining what needed to be done before surgery, in the recovery room and in follow up visits. Look no further if you want the best!,,

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2591447].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 23, 2014

Dr. Speer has operated on my right shoulder 3 times , and I find that his ability as a surgeon , his knowledge and care are "Excellent" His staff are very professional and prompt.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2496027].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 13, 2014

Dr Kevin Speer did a total shoulder replacement on my right shoulder a few years ago. He is the best most knowledgeable surgeon I have had the opportunity to know. His staff is awesome. I would highly recommend him to anyone. In my opinion Duke Raleigh is one of the best hospitals in the country.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2459249].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 10, 2014

I had a torn labrum and chose Dr. Speer. I believe he is competent in his abilities to perform surgery, but between his poor bedside manner and his office policies I stopped going to him mid way through my recovery. I am not convinced that patient care is his primary focus and I think he is afraid of possible confrontation from a dissatisfied patient. When I left his office I had asked to have him call me to discuss what had taken place as I was quite upset (I also cancelled the follow up appointment I had with him the next day). It has now been many months and I never heard from him or anyone from his office. Even though I was still under his medical care and clearly needed to be under someones medical care (this took place a few weeks after the surgery) he didn't feel it was important to find out what had happened. It's disappointing that a medical professional regardless of whether they were going to agree with my point of view or not didn't feel they should take the time to call.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1970674].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 21, 2014

Profession-wise Dr. Speers is good; however his staffs are rude. I dealt with them for awhile ignoring it since my primary focus was my recovery. Staffs were disrespectful, in a hurry, impatient,and discremenating. The phrase "Be quick, I have patients in line" or similar, I heard almost every interaction except a few. I must say "Keri" & "Paul" - the physiotherapists are great. So is "Cynthia"- the insurance coordinator & "Ken"- the PA. They are doing their job properly yet maintaining their patience. This kind of staff could affect the reputation of the doctor's practice.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][1970673].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 12, 2013

In the last seven years, Dr. Speer has performed 2 arthroscopic, rotator cuff repairs on my R shoulder and last week I had a rotator cuff repair on my L shoulder. Each time, my experience has been positive and my recovery great. Eventually, I will probably need shoulder replacements, but at 61, it is nice to know that I will probably have 10 years without significant pain. Yes, it is true that Dr. Speer is absolutely a non-nonsense physician, but he gets "pain" and he gets "quality of life" issues. I want a surgeon that is is experienced, acknowledged by peers and patients to be among the best in the world, and demands excellence of staff that he works with in the operative suite. For myself, he has restored my ability to live pain free 3 times. Each injury was different and with each repair I received individualized care. I have been a registered nurse for over 40 years and I consider him to be the best surgeon I have ever known.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1970672].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 4, 2013

Rate Dr. Speer a 5. Had shoulder surgery on 5/22/13. After my surgery Dr. Speer came to me and my family while I was in recovery and explain to us both what he did regarding my surgery and the things I needed to do while recovering. I have had several surgeries before, but never had the doctor take the time out and come to me came after surgery to explain things to me like Dr. Speer did. Dr. Speer is a no nonsese doctor. The staff and Dr. Speer were awesome!! I had no complaints regarding my surgery.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1970671].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 23, 2013

Dr. Speer has done a great job with total shoulder replacement on both of my shoulders. I am a 68 year-old male and am seven months out of the first surgery and four months on the second. I was basically off pain meds within a week of each surgery and had few problems with therapy (completed locally since I live three hours from Raleigh). Dr Speer and his PA are highly skilled and knowledgeable and the Duke Raleigh Hospital was excellent. It is great to be pain free for the first time in years and to be able to swim freestyle again. I have found the office environment to be professional courteous.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1970670].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 23, 2013

Dr. Speer and his staff are excellent.I have his data on my IPhone, to share with co-workers, friends, and family.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1970669].votes_count ]]