Dr. R. Marvin Royster

Grad. Year: 1977

Answers Email: Unknown
Online Appt. Scheduling: Unknown
Accepting New Patients:Y

Profile updated 04/10/13    Submit profile update    Subscribe to profile updates

Rating: 4.0 out of 5 (5 is best), based on 20 reviews. Dr. R. Marvin Royster has a good overall rating on RateMDs.com. smile

New! - Questions and answers about this doctor

The following ratings and comments have not been substantiated by RateMDs.com.
Date Staff Punctual Helpful Knowledge Review Comments
RID: 5338308

09/04/14 1 1 3 2 Dr. Royster did my knee surgery several years ago and if I could go back in time and change one thing in my life, it would be to not have had that surgery. Dr. Royster never sent me to physical therapy and I feel that he knowledge was lacking in my experience. I even went to another orthopedic in Atlanta and he was shocked about my situation. Would not recommend at all.
Insurance: United Healthcare
RID: 2757389
08/08/13 5 4 5 5 Outstanding Doctor and human being! He did major hip surgery on my wife and knee surgery on my son!! He made a difficult time much, much easier! Outstanding surgeon!
RID: 2530925
14/01/13 1 3 5 5 Dr. Royster is one of the most knowledgeable, skilled, kind and compassionate physicians you will ever meet, as well as a genuinely kind and good man. Unfortunately, you will have to deal with his office staff, which leaves much to be desired. They treat you like a nuisance and if you have complications, as I did, you'll be fortunate indeed to get in front of Dr. Royster before they worsen. It's a pity such a fine man and skilled physician has the likes of Deborah and Carrie running the show.
Insurance: Aetna
RID: 2390910
01/08/12 1 1 1 1 staff poor, sorry,realypoor dr debra runs this office period
RID: 2380107

19/07/12 1 1 1 2 Dr. Royster did more damage than good in a total knee replacement. Need to have revision by another Surgeon. Not Recommended.
Insurance: HealthFirst
Respond

03/05/12 SYSTEM: combined ratings from Surgeon listing (DID: 116667)
RID: 1560070
13/10/11 4 5 5 5 I have had two knee replacements by Dr. Royster and I couldn't be happier with the results. He is personable, knowledgeable, caring and passionate about his work.
RID: 1466567
17/06/11 3 5 5 5 Replaced both knees in '97, one shoulder in '07, one knee broke in '07, and has been replaced multiple times due to infections and excessive fluid production of my body, in fact my knee had to be drained weekly for nearly a year due to that fluid, which was taken care of by Dr. Royster at no cost to me. When I had a cardiac arrest and pneumonia, he even graciously stopped by my room every morning before his normal duties, just to check on me. WHAT A GOOD GUY. I wouldn't let anyone else cut on me. It is unbelieveable that somebody would have a bad experience such as the one below, because this man is so professional in his procedures that I won't believe he never xrayed a broken arm. I continue to see him to this day, and am very well pleased with my knees and shoulders. So are the many sports, TV, and radio personalities that he sees. Chipper Jones even said his name on TV last year when he injured his ankle. CARRY ON "DOC" YOU ARE THE BEST.
Insurance: United Healthcare
RID: 1279789
26/10/10 3 4 5 5 Dr Royster is the best!! I have been seeing him for 10 years now. You cannot ask for a better doctor who cares about you as the person. He will forgo lunch just to check in on patients...how do I know, it was lunch time when he visited me after my full knee replacement. He also removed a bone spur from my husband's knee. My husband has his golf swing back without pain! I am surprised to see the negative comments as well. The staff is definitely could improve on their bedside manner....but I prefer to muddle thru them rather than go to anyone else. You can't go wrong with Dr Royster at your side.
RID: 1057659
15/12/09 1 4 5 5 There isn't a finer Orthopedic out there. As for his staff, he needs to seriously consider getting new people in there that don't make you feel like your a pain in the ass to them. When you call in with a problem they take forever to get back to you and I honestly feel that the message doesn't get to him. When they do call you back with an answer it sounds made up or I don't have full confidence on what they are telling me. I have been a patient of his for a very long time and would never consider going nowhere else. But due to his staff, I am seriously considering a different Orthopedic.
Insurance: Humana
RID: 1055950
12/12/09 4 3 5 5 What an outstanding doctor and person! Dr. Royster goes out of his way to make sure he spends plenty of time with each patient (which is why he is usually running behind). He is very thorough in his explanations and has a genuine concern for his patients. I consider him a friend as well as my doctor and would recommend him to anyone needing an orthopaedic doctor/surgeon.
Insurance: Coventry
RID: 967687
20/08/09 2 4 4 2 He replaced both my hips. One is ok, but the other has given me trouble for 5 years. His staff will not listen to my complaints, and want me to spend $258 for another office visit for him to tell me he can't or won't help me.
Insurance: Medicare
RID: 949988
29/07/09 5 4 5 5 Dr. Royster did my total knee replacement.He has the best bedside manners anyone could ask of a doctor. He explains things where you can understand it, verses doctor language. I would recommend anyone to Dr. Royster. DR. ROYSTER, YOU'RE THE BEST
Insurance: Kaiser-Permanente
Respond

03/07/09 SYSTEM: 2 negative duplicate or disallowed ratings automatically removed
RID: 905082
04/06/09 3 5 5 5 I am stunned by the negative review that I just read. I have had numerous surgeries by Dr. Royster and would never let anyone else cut me besides him. He is the most caring Dr. I have ever met or dealt with, to see a negative review like that is shocking to me. He has always done whatever he can to fix what is wrong. Good luck trying to find a better Ortho. besides Dr. Andrews.
RID: 816596
06/03/09 2 3 2 1 He has the good ol boy happy go lucky personality but under it all after a few visits, I question his depth of knowledge and the lack of quality of care I recieved. His approach was outdated by 30 years.
Paid (or co-pay): $16000
RID: 736827
04/12/08 3 1 5 5 Dr Royster quickly identified the problem with a bungled ACL replacement and fixed it. I have had s number of injuries and recovered successfully from each one. Dr Royster does excellent exams and does not always need an x-ray or MRI to identify the problem. He has used x-rays and MRIs when necessary. Dr Royster is very capable and spends time with each patient. I am stunned by the negative reviews. Hhe is good at ordering suffiecient physical therapy and schedules follow-ip appintments.Not only has he treated my injuries successfully, others I have referred to him have been satisfied as well.
RID: 671489
22/08/08 4 2 5 5 Compassionate, knowledgeable and spent all the time in the world with me. Had total knee replacement and since I was young, he researched to find best artificial knee in terms of longevity and ease of future replacement. Wonderful!!
RID: 666623
16/08/08 5 5 5 5 He did double knee replacement on me in late 2006. I had a wonderful experience and recovery! He and his staff or so friendly and helpful. He uses the newest techniques and therefore there is less recovery time all around.  Respond
RID: 639168
15/07/08 4 5 5 5 Best experience possible. Fixed a problem that could not be fixed in 2 tries previously. My knee has never felt better. If it were possible, I would say that my knee feels even better than my "normal" knee. ACL reconstruction/Meniscus repair.
Paid (or co-pay): $1500
RID: 379623
04/08/07 5 3 5 5 Wonderful! Had total knee replacement and couldn't have asked for better care. Thorough, listens to all concerns and if he doesn't have answer, goes out of way to find it! His staff is as caring and compassionate as he is. The only problem is getting in on time and that is because he spends quite alot of time with all his patients. He obviously enjoys his work and his patients and even has a sense of humor which is great! Would not change and highly recommend him. He spent quite a bit of time researching the right joint for my age and supporting my request to the insurance company. ( I have extremely bad degenerative arthritis and had to have TKO at age 46) After 3 years on crutches, the surgery was terrifying but, afterward, what a relief.
Paid (or co-pay): $30000
RID: 37981
27/07/06 1 1 1 This doctor did not use an xray to know how to set my arm, he did not do an xray to see if he set it correctly. He did not take a follow up xray to see if it was healing properly, he even avoided taking an xray for 6 months in my opinion to cover up his mistake. I had an arm shaped like a hocky stick becuase of this guy, it took 1.4 inches of bone graphted from my hip into my arm to make it look normal and it will never be normal. it cost over 100,000 to try to fix it and I still live in chronic pain. Avoid this guy like the plague.
Paid (or co-pay): $115000