Dr. Myron J. Veenstra

Rate Dr. Myron J. Veenstra

Dr. Myron J. Veenstra's Ratings

The pejorative, disrespectful, and ignorant statements that we are assaulted with concerning suicide angels are in abundance…and are disquieting to cope with on a daily basis. You’ve heard them many times, statements about suicide being “a sin,” “a crime,” “an act of self-murder,” etc. Well, let me address one more ignorant statement – that suicide is a “selfish” act. WRONG. Suicide is a desperate act by someone who is in intense pain and wants their pain to stop. That is a HUMAN response to extreme pain, not a selfish one. And over 90 percent of the people who die by suicide have a mental illness at the time of their death, so they are not thinking clearly. And those who use the word “selfish” are merely helping perpetuate the STIGMA associated with suicide. A suicidal action that manifests from intense, excruciating, unbearable pain associated with a serious mental illness has nothing to do with selfishness. Period.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][210506].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 5, 2011

I have known Dr. Veenstra for many years. He is highly competent. As a practicing mental health professional for over 30 years I also have lost patients to suicide. That we can't save everyone is a bitter fact of our profession. I know the pain of losing a loved one-my sister suicided at age 18. Anger and blaming are part of the grief process. I have come to accept that the only one to be held accountable is the person themselves.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][210505].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 3, 2011

Dr. Veenstra has been nothing but a joy to me. He is smart, thoughtful, and caring in a way that goes beyond a 1000 character blurb. There is nothing a doctor can do or say to make someone change something they are simply unwilling to change (including their mind). However, he has a way of making me think about things very differently and understand myself and those around me in a way I had not before. I will continue to work with Dr. Veenstra and would refer anyone that I love or care about to his services. Thank you Dr. Veenstra for all that you do!!!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][210504].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 26, 2011

My daughter was under his care for 6 weeks with new diagnosis of depression and anxiety. While he knew she was acutely suicidal, he never told me or any loved ones, and she died: suicide. We never knew she was so sick. Dr Veenstra assured my wife that "we should leave her to the professionals" ie in his care, and that he "would take care of her". After her death, he said it "must have been spontaneous" but his records show otherwise. I am a physician and understand the records and I suggest to see only someone you know personally or are referred to by a satisfied close acquaintance.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][210503].votes_count ]]