Rate Dr. Stephen B. Murphy

Dr. Stephen B. Murphy's Ratings

Botched hip replacement. Constant pain. Does not return calls. Avoid this doctor!!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2568241].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 7, 2014

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2486872].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 7, 2014

I had hip pain for 3 years. I researched and found Dr. Murphy. I waited 6 months for the appointment, and 6 months for the surgery. The 6 months before surgery was very painful, and the 3 months before was difficult to walk. I went into surgery with such pain and woke up WITH NONE !! I had No Pain. I was amazed. I had no upset stomach, no loss of appetite, no vomiting. I was in the hospital for 2 1/2 days, and insisted on going to rehab because I live alone. In 21 days I used no walker, cane or crutches. I came home and in another 4 days I was driving. I should tell you that I am 82 years young. I am OVERWHELMINGLY GRATEFUL to Dr. Murphy. Everyday when I'm out, with every step I thank God, every step, and then I thank Him in His wisdom for giving Dr. Murphy the knowledge for this procedure, and being behind the surgeon's hands.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][1974941].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 13, 2013

Dr. Murphy is my hero. I limped around for 10 years and was close to being non-mobile. I had a THR since I was missing a hip socket and needed a new fermoral ball. My surgery was 8/14. I have full flexibility in my replaced hip. I am working toward revitalizing the muscles in that hip since they were atrophied after years of inmobility. Dr. Murphy is the BEST. No comparison. As a matter of fact, other surgeons use the hip replacement technique developed by Dr. Murphy. I know because I read every research article that listed Dr. Murphy as an author. Go to youtube and type in Dr. Stephen B Murphy, who also has patents on the instruments he developed for hip surgery. Dr. Murphy is a brilliant surgeon.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1974940].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 5, 2013

Dr. Murphy performed my computer-assisted left hip replacement in December 2012. I had little, but very tolerable levels of pain in the hospital and almost no pain after I returned home after spending less than 2 days in the hospital. Recovery was rapid. I wish that I had known about Dr. Murphy when I had my right hip replaced in 2008 by another surgeon - thankfully this was a completely different experience! Dr Murphy is kind, compassionate, and an expert in his field. Additionally, the office staff are excellent!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1974939].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 29, 2013

I went to Dr Murphy for my second hip replacement. My first had been done several years prior using a standard procedure which involved months of down time; however the results were perfect. Several friends had recommended Dr Murphy who uses a less invasive technnique to shorten recovery time. I had the surgery with Dr. Murphy and everything seemed to be going great. However, about 9 monhts after surgery the pain began. After several appointments and testing, which by the way Dr Murphy has not taken the time to call me with the results, I am still in significant pain and with limited mobility. His staff PROMISES he will call, but he doesn't. This DR might be a genius on his specialized procedure, but he is incompetent in follow-up with patients whose outcome is not favorable (and I have read the same from other comments here). Of course, you never think YOU will be the one whose surgery will not be perfect. Think again! You never know. I would NEVER EVER recommend this doctor.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][1974942].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 23, 2013

If you are considering hip-replacement surgery, Stephen Murphy is the go-to guy. The major advantages of his surgical approach over the conventional posterior approach are a shorter hospital stay (1-2 days vs. 4-5 days), a less painful and quicker recovery, and no restrictions on movements from the waist. For 3 months after conventional surgery to replace my first hip, I couldn't bend more than 90 degrees or twist from the waist. Dressing & showering were incredibly awkward and required using assistive devices. After Dr. Murphy's surgery, I quickly regained mobility. When the postsurgical swelling in my hip subsided (~2 weeks), I could bend over to put on my socks. Less than a week after Dr. Murphy’s surgery, I needed only one crutch, and by 2 weeks I was using a cane and could drive. I did not need any narcotics for pain after I left the hospital. My recovery more than justified the 11-month wait for surgery and the $2200 out-of-pocket cost for the computer simulation of my hip.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1974938].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 24, 2013

I first visited Dr. Murphy back in 2004 as a potential candidate to have my left hip replaced. Over the last several months my condition began to deteriorate so I made an appointment w/Meredith in Dr. Murphy's office. My consultation in September confirmed severe damage & they were able to move my surgery up to the end of October due to a cancellation. I owe a huge debt of gratitude to Dr. Murphy and his staff for the expediency with which they handled the entire process and I am still in awe of the minimally-invasive surgical technique that he has pioneered. It is now 6 weeks post-surgery for me and the only discomfort I have is the "good" pain from physical therapy & the natural process of my body healing. On this rating scale of 1-5 I will give out a 6!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1974937].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 11, 2012

outstanding knowledge and surgical skills. personable.he did both my total hips and I got phenomenal results. I would recommend him to anyone

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1974936].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 31, 2012

I had a total hip replacement (computer assisted surgery) by Dr. Murphy 4 years ago, and I know several others who’ve also had hip replacements by him. I did my research on the operation and on the doctors, and I can say with gratitude and certainly that he is a master at his craft. I recommend Dr. Murphy unequivocally. I have no pain, no limp, complete range of motion and a small and barely perceptible scar on my left buttock. During a recent 10 mile hike in the White Mountains I actually forgot which hip I had replaced.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1974935].votes_count ]]