You may also like

Rate Dr. Karmela Chan

Dr. Karmela Chan's Ratings

My first appointment with Dr. Chan was fine. Good bedside manner, good examination. I was having some shoulder pain that reached into my chest. She did not diagnose anything but gave me a full blood work up. Everything came back normal. The pain continued and I saw her for another appointment. She ordered a shoulder MRI but said I probably did not need one. She also said this was probably not something related to her field, which was fine by me. I just wanted some type of explanation.

I got the shoulder MRI and the next morning Dr. Chan called to tell me that my MRI report came in and I had multiple enlarged lymph nodes in my shoulder and that I needed a surgical biopsy on my lymph node and I needed to be tested for HIV and TB. It was so urgent that she called my Primary Care doctor to follow up with her. I was panicked and could not see my Primary Care doctor because she was on vacation. When she returned I made the appointment. My PC showed me the MRI report/results which said that while I did have lymph nodes in my shoulder, none were enlarged or cause for concern. Everything looked normal.

To Dr. Chan's credit, she did call to follow up with me and when I told her what happened she didn't even offer an apology. I had told her on our first visit that I had been dealing with months of misdiagnosis from doctors and she agreed that what I had been through was ridiculous. She is nice enough, but her urgent phone call to both my doctor and myself and drastic misinterpretation of a simple report was concerning and made my anxiety go through the roof. I will not be seeing her again.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2813287].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 20, 2015

Well I could not cover all that Dr. Chan has done for my wife because our story is very extensive but Dr. Chan has been one of the greatest doctors that my wife has ever met in the last 18 months. Dr. Chan is kind, extremely loving and attentive to my wife's well being and recovery. Dr. Chan has seen my wife over 50 times in the past year and is a huge blessing to us as my wife is battling her illness. The road has become a little easier with the medications that Dr. Chan has her on and we are forever grateful that God has allowed us to meet her. My wife could be DEAD and gone by now and we believe that it was through DR. Chan that God has graced my wife to find the right medications to alleviate some pain and help her get better. Thanks Dr. Chan for your dedication to seeing my wife SURVIVE. WE love you. Pastor James and Diandra McNamara

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2248266].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 23, 2014

Dr. Chan was attentive and informative. She provided clear expectations after diagnosis and how a lifestyle Change or non-change may impact my future.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][228607].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 13, 2013

Not recommended; unless you want bad bed side manner and symptoms and issues are by the book, expect to come away highly disappointed!

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][228606].votes_count ]]