Dr. Greg A. Horton

Grad. Year: 1989

Answers Email: Unknown
Online Appt. Scheduling: Unknown
Accepting New Patients:Y

Profile updated 03/10/13    Submit profile update    Subscribe to profile updates

Rating: 3.8 out of 5 (5 is best), based on 23 reviews. Dr. Greg A. Horton has a good overall rating on RateMDs.com. smile

New! - Questions and answers about this doctor

The following ratings and comments have not been substantiated by RateMDs.com.
Date Staff Punctual Helpful Knowledge Review Comments
RID: 5478916

15/05/14 1 1 1 1 I have been to that office 3 times and spent 6 hours waiting to see Dr. Horton. Today was the same. Waited another 2 hours just for them to repeat the same X-rays to charge my insurance more money and got sent another resident and still no doctor. The whole place is a scam
RID: 4783848

05/02/14 SYSTEM: 'birds of a feather' rating (based on Medicare patients-in-common): 5.0  Respond
RID: 1770423
20/03/12 5 4 5 5 This man is an absolutely amazing physician. I really despise hearing other people bash a doctor who is so competent and is often fixing other surgeon's mistakes. I had to have a drastic foot surgery to reconstruct my foot after another area dr destroyed it. Id rather wait for a little longer (did you know he is on staff with the jayhawks, and the royals?!) then get in quickly with a quack. Amazing, and so talented and knowledgeable. I absolutely have loved him, his staff and residents!! Cannot say enough good things about this doctor!!! My surgery was @ 3pm and when i woke @ 10pm he was still there waiting. Id rather wait an hour for such an amazing doctor. You wait for talent. You go to a specialist for a reason, and yes, there is a waiting period to be seen. But it is well worth it. He is honest and up front, maybe some people cannot handle hearing the truth abotu what they need to do to better their quality of life.
Insurance: Aetna
RID: 1548125
27/09/11 3 1 2 3 I saw Dr. Horton for an on-going post op problems in my foot. I was referred to him and was immediately unimpressed by the unfriendliness of his scheduling staff. No messages were ever returned (tried calling three times) and eventually gave up. However, three weeks later, I got a letter saying that they'd scheduled an appointment for me 4 MONTHS later. I was tempted to cancel but figured, why not. So, I went. I waited 2+ hours in the waiting room along with many, many other disgruntled patients. I finally got in and was again bumped by another patient for x-rays. Once in the exam room, had to present a very long case history quickly to another Ortho resident. Finally Dr. Horton came in and while he did listen and evaluate, was very insensitive and quickly came to the conclusion that the only solution was a very drastic surgery. He said every other opinion I'd gotten from highly regarded Orthopedic Surgeons were incorrect. His arrogance and dismissivness are incredible. Go elsewhere!  See Responses

22/05/11 SYSTEM: 2 negative duplicate or disallowed ratings automatically removed

18/04/11 SYSTEM: 2 negative duplicate or disallowed ratings automatically removed
RID: 1400865
29/03/11 1 1 1 4 This doctor has changed my life and not for the better. After a complete foot reconstruction I am left in severe pain and unable to walk normally. I was treated with disrespect and my experience was horrible!
See Responses
RID: 1238762
27/08/10 5 3 5 5 I have been seeing Dr Horton for 4 years now. He is getting ready to perform his third operation on my ankle/foot. Yes, the waiting room is always full and yes there normally is an hour wait BUT as soon as he enters the room he is attentive to my issues and is more than willing to give suggestions as to what needs to be done. He is also compassionate to my personnal situation (my ability to work, my insurance and so on). His staff is ALWAYS helpfull and willing to help with any request/problem I may have. He is honest and striaght forward. He does not talk "over your head" like most Doctors/Surgoens do. The inconvenience in the waiiting room is well worth it to get Dr. Hortons opinion and/or treatment.
RID: 1218728
30/07/10 5 3 5 5 I was shot at close range with a 12gauge shotgun {buck shot} I was very lucky to still have my leg let alone my life. After 3 years w/another Dr. he told me there was nothin left he could do 4me, Dr. Horton was 1 of his recmondations after a consult I chose Dr. Horton & damn sure glad I did. The other Doc just wanted to amputate but not Horton, he thought he could, straighten out my leg, legthen it 2.5 inchs, fix the non union & make my bone stronger & that's exactly what he did. Yes u may have a bit of a wait but there's a reason u have 2wait, its cause he's the absolute best ortho Dr out there. He not only saved my leg but also made it look pretty normal better than I ever could have imagined. He had a plan N executed it 2perfection. His staff N nurses are excellent N also very knowledgable. After 1 doc quit on me N 3others either wanted 2cut it off or just have nothin 2do w/me Dr Horton welcomed the challenge & I'm so very grateful he did, he is truly the best!!
Insurance: Medicare
RID: 1174193

21/05/10 1 1 1 1 This Dr is crazy! after driving 3.5 hrs. just for a consl. (i had shatterd both heals & broke tib.&fib. left leg)his staff is Very rude, had to get in a yelling fight w/his male nurse to stop him from debreeding a wound that was being treated by a differant Dr. He then told me I had rotten bone in foot and he had to take all of the top of my foot out and replace it w/my hip bone, or amputate below knee!!! I said no way and found other Dr. to look at it. I'm not happy w/that Dr. eigther but he said he seen no rott in my foot!! since then my wound has healed and will not let any Dr. cut off my foot untill it falls off. I was also a paycheck not a person! I may still be in pain but I still have my FOOT!! MY ADVISE IS GET A SECOND OPINION FIRST!!!
Insurance: Workers Comp
RID: 1169698
14/05/10 2 1 1 4 Came highly recomd. by 4 of 6 doctors I've seen in the past 2 years. He seemed to be BEST pick I could make. Had 1 of 2 foot surgeries planned in 2009. Big mistake 1 day surgery put me in hospital for 9 days do to mistakes made by him and his staff. Rude staff except for M. his RN in office loved her to death. Long waits/short not so sweet visits & my foot has more metal in it than most cars,blamed me for not healing right and now I take more pain meds than ever, can't walk on it now I suffer more than ever, big mistake & please get everthing in writing before you commit please. PLEASE TAKE NOTE HE KNOWS HIS STUFF BUT VERY VERY VERY OVER BEARING AND OVER EXTENDED & LIKES TO MAKE YOU SEEM STUPID & PLEASE COMMIT CAREFULLY. I regret my choice, NOW BACK TO ORIG. PLAN FOR DOUBLE AMPUTATION THAT I REALLY WANTED AND HE TALKED MY WIFE AND I OUT OF BECAUSE OF HIS EGO!!!!!!!!!
Insurance: Aetna
Paid (or co-pay): $200000
RID: 1143328
06/04/10 1 1 1 1 Extreme wait (2 hours or more past appointment time) and then he gave me about 3 minutes to explain a very complicated history before he cut me off and told me he didn't think there was anything wrong with me and it was more a psychological issue. Well MRIs and CTs and X-Rays and several other doctors disagreed with him and thankfully he wasn't the one I relied on for my well being. He should be ashamed at how he behaves and lose the arrogance.  Respond
RID: 1133562
22/03/10 5 5 5 5 Dr. Horton Just seamed to know what he was doing better than any of the multiple doctors ive talked too.
RID: 1074825
11/01/10 5 3 5 5 Yes, there is always a long wait. My son suffered a severe crush injury to his foot. Amputation was being considered in the emergency room. Dr. Horton showed up and said "we can save the foot" and he did. No where in the world will you find Doctors more capable than those at KU Med. U.S. health care might be over priced, but well worth it when only the best will do. Thank you to Dr. Horton and his staff. I will gladly wait and pay for the best when it comes to health care.
Insurance: Workers Comp
RID: 1073335
09/01/10 5 1 5 5 A really great man, and surgeon who is brilliant. Not very social but when im hurting social is not the best He is an extremly caring man and will have my 3rd surgery with him this summer
RID: 970899
24/08/09 5 2 5 5 "Dr. Greg Horton is THE BEST Orthopedic Surgeon in the Midwest" He made the short list of surgeons even willing to work on a extreme pilon fracture of my right Tib/Fib. After crushing my leg in a motorcycle accident another surgeon told me I should expect a prosthetic. I did have to wait a while to see him but he always gave me the time I needed. The bottom line folks is that I am walking on my own two feet. And that is NO small miracle. While I was in the waiting room I meet other patients that had traveled half way across the country to just get a diagnosis from him. I was/am happy to be under his care.
RID: 955109
05/08/09 5 5 5 5 I'm new to dr horton and was referred by dr Heddings. I have a tibial nonunion and have been treated by another unsuccessfully. Dr horton seems very knowledgeable and decisive and within 10 minutes of visiting with me had made a plan which sounds adequate to heal me if getting healed is possible. I'll update in 3 months to tell how it goes. Surgery is planned for 1 month out.
RID: 873853
29/04/09 5 1 5 5 I am totally shocked by all the negative comments about Dr.Greg Horton because I think he is the greatest surgeon alive. Yes, the office is ridiculously overbooked and I always wait several hours but that is because he never turns people away. I don't care if he is a hand holder or not, I want someone smart and talented and he is. I went to the mayo clinic and the doctor there said why on earth come here when you live within 20 minutes of Greg Horton. He was right.No other doctor would even touch my deformed foot but Dr. Greg made my walk again. I can't imagine how hard he works and his nurse is a sweetheart, she even sent me a card when my husband died. I think the mean stuff people are saying is just wrong and it is probably other foot doctors that are jealous of him.
RID: 673651
25/08/08 2 1 4 5 This man is the St. Jude of foot-and-ankle orthopedics. He makes repairs that no one else will even try. Who cares if his office overbooks (they do), his skill is worth it. If you have a difficult problem, Dr. Horton is your man.  Respond
RID: 567835
16/04/08 5 4 5 5 I thought Dr Horton was brilliant, very straight forward and I didn't mind waiting an hour to see him. I feel very lucky that such a talented doctor was willing to take my case since I have medicaid and most doctors wouldn't even see me. His office staff was very friendly and helpful.
RID: 427178
11/10/07 1 1 1 1 It is not unusual to wait 2-3 hours after your scheduled your appointment. You have to allow at least a week to have phone calls returned if they are returned at all. His knowledge is average. Patient care is inferior. His nurse is extremely unfriendly and must really hate her job.  Respond
RID: 398626
06/09/07 5 1 5 5 The appointment desk always overbooks him and it is not fair to patient or the doctor. He is very good and informative and an extremely compassionate doctor.
Insurance: CIGNA
RID: 283150
16/04/07 4 5 5 Dr. Horton may well be Superman. I had a non-union Tibial fracture that was not healing after six months in external fixation. He did a bone graft as well as a plate fixation and I am healed. He is a very busy man but always answers all of my questions and ensures that I am comfortable with his recommendations. He performed three surgeries on me and I am eternally grateful to him. Brilliant surgeon...
RID: 261696
05/04/07 1 1 1 I had to wait 3.5 hours in the waiting room. His secretary indicated that he had over 40 patients to see that morning. He seemed rushed the entire time he was in the room. It takes 2-3 weeks for his nurse to call you back and then she is extremely rude. I felt like I was being treated as a pay check and not a person.  Respond
RID: 137308
12/02/07 4 5 5 I had been to several other doctors, including other orthopedic doctors who were unable to diagnose and he could within 10 minutes of my visit with him.  Respond
* - Rating left by a registered user