Rate Dr. Greg A. Horton

Dr. Greg A. Horton's Ratings

I am a retired physician, I originally injured my ankle in a motorcycle accident at age 19. Approx one inch of my tibia was ground off on the pavement. My leg healed crooked but was functional. I went to Dr Horton after another Dr told me I needed an ankle fusion. Since I have degenerative arthritis of the sine, I feared a fusion would make my back worse. Dr Horton did an ankle replacement approx 3 years ago and I have never regretted it. The chronic bone on bone pain I suffered with for YEARS is gone. He is very busy and deals with patients no other Dr will touch, or ones that other doctors have previously done surgery on, unsuccessfully! I would rank Dr Horton as one of the best ankle surgeons in the United States! He does 15-20 ankle replacements per month and takes cases that are complex and difficult. See Dr Horton if you have a serious ankle injury and/or arhritis, my care at KU Med Center has always been first rate!

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2563608].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 4, 2014

I have been to that office 3 times and spent 6 hours waiting to see Dr. Horton. Today was the same. Waited another 2 hours just for them to repeat the same X-rays to charge my insurance more money and got sent another resident and still no doctor. The whole place is a scam

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2459960].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 15, 2014

This man is an absolutely amazing physician. I really despise hearing other people bash a doctor who is so competent and is often fixing other surgeon's mistakes. I had to have a drastic foot surgery to reconstruct my foot after another area dr destroyed it. Id rather wait for a little longer (did you know he is on staff with the jayhawks, and the royals?!) then get in quickly with a quack. Amazing, and so talented and knowledgeable. I absolutely have loved him, his staff and residents!! Cannot say enough good things about this doctor!!! My surgery was @ 3pm and when i woke @ 10pm he was still there waiting. Id rather wait an hour for such an amazing doctor. You wait for talent. You go to a specialist for a reason, and yes, there is a waiting period to be seen. But it is well worth it. He is honest and up front, maybe some people cannot handle hearing the truth abotu what they need to do to better their quality of life.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1986401].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 20, 2012

I saw Dr. Horton for an on-going post op problems in my foot. I was referred to him and was immediately unimpressed by the unfriendliness of his scheduling staff. No messages were ever returned (tried calling three times) and eventually gave up. However, three weeks later, I got a letter saying that they'd scheduled an appointment for me 4 MONTHS later. I was tempted to cancel but figured, why not. So, I went. I waited 2+ hours in the waiting room along with many, many other disgruntled patients. I finally got in and was again bumped by another patient for x-rays. Once in the exam room, had to present a very long case history quickly to another Ortho resident. Finally Dr. Horton came in and while he did listen and evaluate, was very insensitive and quickly came to the conclusion that the only solution was a very drastic surgery. He said every other opinion I'd gotten from highly regarded Orthopedic Surgeons were incorrect. His arrogance and dismissivness are incredible. Go elsewhere!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1986400].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 27, 2011

This doctor has changed my life and not for the better. After a complete foot reconstruction I am left in severe pain and unable to walk normally. I was treated with disrespect and my experience was horrible!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1986399].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 29, 2011

I have been seeing Dr Horton for 4 years now. He is getting ready to perform his third operation on my ankle/foot. Yes, the waiting room is always full and yes there normally is an hour wait BUT as soon as he enters the room he is attentive to my issues and is more than willing to give suggestions as to what needs to be done. He is also compassionate to my personnal situation (my ability to work, my insurance and so on). His staff is ALWAYS helpfull and willing to help with any request/problem I may have. He is honest and striaght forward. He does not talk "over your head" like most Doctors/Surgoens do. The inconvenience in the waiiting room is well worth it to get Dr. Hortons opinion and/or treatment.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1986398].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 27, 2010

I was shot at close range with a 12gauge shotgun {buck shot} I was very lucky to still have my leg let alone my life. After 3 years w/another Dr. he told me there was nothin left he could do 4me, Dr. Horton was 1 of his recmondations after a consult I chose Dr. Horton & damn sure glad I did. The other Doc just wanted to amputate but not Horton, he thought he could, straighten out my leg, legthen it 2.5 inchs, fix the non union & make my bone stronger & that's exactly what he did. Yes u may have a bit of a wait but there's a reason u have 2wait, its cause he's the absolute best ortho Dr out there. He not only saved my leg but also made it look pretty normal better than I ever could have imagined. He had a plan N executed it 2perfection. His staff N nurses are excellent N also very knowledgable. After 1 doc quit on me N 3others either wanted 2cut it off or just have nothin 2do w/me Dr Horton welcomed the challenge & I'm so very grateful he did, he is truly the best!!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1986397].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 30, 2010

This Dr is crazy! after driving 3.5 hrs. just for a consl. (i had shatterd both heals & broke tib.&fib. left leg)his staff is Very rude, had to get in a yelling fight w/his male nurse to stop him from debreeding a wound that was being treated by a differant Dr. He then told me I had rotten bone in foot and he had to take all of the top of my foot out and replace it w/my hip bone, or amputate below knee!!! I said no way and found other Dr. to look at it. I'm not happy w/that Dr. eigther but he said he seen no rott in my foot!! since then my wound has healed and will not let any Dr. cut off my foot untill it falls off. I was also a paycheck not a person! I may still be in pain but I still have my FOOT!! MY ADVISE IS GET A SECOND OPINION FIRST!!!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1986402].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 21, 2010

Came highly recomd. by 4 of 6 doctors I've seen in the past 2 years. He seemed to be BEST pick I could make. Had 1 of 2 foot surgeries planned in 2009. Big mistake 1 day surgery put me in hospital for 9 days do to mistakes made by him and his staff. Rude staff except for M. his RN in office loved her to death. Long waits/short not so sweet visits & my foot has more metal in it than most cars,blamed me for not healing right and now I take more pain meds than ever, can't walk on it now I suffer more than ever, big mistake & please get everthing in writing before you commit please. PLEASE TAKE NOTE HE KNOWS HIS STUFF BUT VERY VERY VERY OVER BEARING AND OVER EXTENDED & LIKES TO MAKE YOU SEEM STUPID & PLEASE COMMIT CAREFULLY. I regret my choice, NOW BACK TO ORIG. PLAN FOR DOUBLE AMPUTATION THAT I REALLY WANTED AND HE TALKED MY WIFE AND I OUT OF BECAUSE OF HIS EGO!!!!!!!!!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1986396].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 14, 2010

Extreme wait (2 hours or more past appointment time) and then he gave me about 3 minutes to explain a very complicated history before he cut me off and told me he didn't think there was anything wrong with me and it was more a psychological issue. Well MRIs and CTs and X-Rays and several other doctors disagreed with him and thankfully he wasn't the one I relied on for my well being. He should be ashamed at how he behaves and lose the arrogance.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1986395].votes_count ]]