Rate Dr. Niall E. Roche

Dr. Niall E. Roche's Ratings

Doctor (he doesn't deserve the title) Niall Roche was part of my HMO back in 1999/2000. I was having severe pain in both of my knees. One of the GP's in my HMO ordered blood tests. They told me I had Rheumatoid arthritis and referred me to Mr. Roche. He had me sit on the end of an examining table and lift my arms. He told me that I did not have RA and sent me on my way. He is supposedly a specialist. He did not suggest anything, or anyone else for me to go to. The very weekend after the appointment I was stepping up onto a curb and my knee completely gave out on me with excruciating pain. I called the HMO and demanded an MRI. One was ordered, the report sent to Mr. Roche, and I had an appointment to find out the results. He told me the MRI showed nothing spectacularly out of the ordinary then said, "Now don't you wish you would have gone on a $2,000.00 shopping spree instead." Again he sent me on my way without any suggestions on what else I might look into or doctor to go to. My boss at the time gave me a pair of crutches which I had to use for the next 4 to 6 months until I could finally walk again. I moved out of the area and lost my health insurance. No one would insure me because (even though I had no diagnosis) I had a preexisting condition. 15 years, thanks to The Affordable Health Care Plan, I am finally insured again. I have had nothing but problems with my knees all of these years. I have been on crutches twice since 99/2000. I just had an MRI and x-rays of both knees. The damage is so extensive I have to have both knees replaced. There are many other types of arthritis other than rheumatoid. Surely a rheumatologist should be versed in these as well. With the help of a friend who is a Physician's Assistant, and doing online research I have come to the conclusion that my knee problem was caused by Reiter's Syndrome, also known now as Reactive Arthritis. If this man, Mr. Roche, would have not been so eager to reprimand me or having an MRI and sent me for more tests, I might have found the infection in my body that caused the Reactive Arthritis and just maybe I would not have had to suffer for the past 15 years and now have to get both knees replaced at age 59. I notice that Mr. Roche's first two comments were very negative and his last two very positive. Maybe he is trying to save his butt and finally act like a doctor. I wish he would have acted like a doctor right out of the gate, then maybe I would have had healthy knees these past years. Shame on you Mr. Niall E. Roche. You could have made the difference in my life that kept my knees from degenerating - but you contributed to their degeneration.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2536627].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 15, 2014

I was refered to Dr Roche by my family physician. I was unable to get an appointment for 1 month due to his patient load. Due to a cancellation I received an early appointment. I had a mobility problem with my arms and shoulders. Dr Roche spent about 45 mins in a complete mobility exam and a general discussion of my life style. He asked many pretinent questions and listened intently to my complaints. He made a preliminary diagnosis and prescribed medication to releive my pain. He also scheluled a blood test with a return visit in one week. The prescription relieved my pain and the blood test revealed that his original diagnosis was 100% accurate. With his reccommended change in life style and medication my condition has improved immensly, as determined by subsequesnt blood test and my overall being. Dr Roche is extremly attentive to the patient as evident with his attention to detail. I highly reccomend. I do not understand why previous patients have patients posted a -ve report.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][715965].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 7, 2011

When I went to Dr. Roche he asked me questions & then gave me a chance to ask all the questions I wanted. He ran blood work based on his suspicions. He then had me examined by other specialists to rule out some potentially disastrous issues. After reviewing all tests results he gave me his diagnosis & treatment plan. I had seen several doctors before Dr. Roche & none of them knew what was wrong. Dr. Roche gave me a spot on diagnosis & ordered the right medications. I was impressed by his medical knowledge & determination. I don't understand the remarks left by others on this site. Dr. Roche is both knowledgeable & professional. If he was late for his appointments I am sure it was due to his spending necessary time with other patients. His staff is always professional. I can't give a rating high enough for all Dr.Roche has done for me. I thought I was dying when I went to see him. He was my last resort & thank heaven he knew what to do for me.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][715964].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 11, 2011

It has been at least 10 years since I saw this Dr. but my two visits with him rate as the all-time worst Dr. appts. ever! He was very late, extremely rude, uninformed, and there is no way I can rate his knowledge as all he did was give me a pamphlett and send me away. I had seen a wonderful Dr. in his Fremont office but then she left so ins. sent me to him, in Pleasanton. I offered to bring records from Fremont, not once but twice, they told me they would have them before my appts. but he did not have them for either visit. Sent me away the 1st time so he could review records, still didn't have them by 2nd visit. He should not be practicing medicine or allowed to work with people. I filed a complaint with the CA medical board but they did nothing. My PCP later referred me to UCSF, insurance tried to insist I return to this Dr. until they read the complaint I'd filed, then they approved it without anymore questions. UCSF Rheumatology was awesome! Avoid this DR.!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][715963].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 5, 2010

DO NOT USE THIS DR!!!! This Dr wasted my time for over 6 mos. I had to wait over 1.5 hours each time I had my appointment. He asked me the same questions every time and gave no insight on my condition. On top of all that I have been to the lab to get blood work done now 6 times and he keeps sending back for more!!! I have no faith in him and all he does is hurry you through your time with him even though you had a set appointment and he was over an hour and a half late.He gives you a pamphlet to read at home in case you have question's. I had called on a semi emergency to him as soon as his office opened and after I made 4 calls that same day he did not call me back until after the office had closed at which point my whole day was wasted. He cannot seem to give me a firm diagnosis on my condition and I am done wasting my time and money on him. I WILL never go back to him.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][715962].votes_count ]]