Rate Dr. A. Martin Lerner

Dr. A. Martin Lerner's Ratings

I have been seeing Dr. Lerner for 3 years after I was (mis)diagnosed with post-viral fatigue syndrome. Dr. Lerner ran A LOT of tests and then correctly diagnosed me with EBV, CMV, adult rheumatic fever, persistent infection, and HHV6. On his scale I was originally a 5. I have been between 8 and 9 for the last 6 months and I am able to work a full-time sedentary job and help take care of my two young kids and some of the house work. 2 years ago, Dr. Lerner convinced me to have my tonsils removed. I was so happy I listened to him as it turns out they had a fungal infection and were causing my ear and sinus infections. I will be so sad the day that he decides to retire.

Submitted Jan. 2, 2013 | flag

It saddens me to see alI the negative comments people have posted about Dr. Lerner. I have been a pt. since 1994 (after my first child) with elevated CMV and EBV. I was referred to him from several of his past students(Dr)who we stated he was the best prof. they ever had. I moved away but started driving 4 hours one way to see him again for the last 6 years. His staff is polite, friendly, and professional. I make my appt. early in the day and have only waited more then an hour 1 time and that was when I arrived late due to a snowstorm and missed my appt. time. His next appt. was a new pt. and that appt. is an hour long. Dr. L. is the most knowledgeable person I know. I have alot of auto-immune issues and Dr. L. is not afraid to send me to other specialist as needed. I have not witnessed any Dr. not respecting him. He is very compassionate. He does not have the time to coddle you if you need a therapist to discuss your illness but he does listen to your concerns and symptoms.

Submitted Jan. 16, 2012 | flag

Dr. Lerner may be a little odd however he knows what he is doing. If I ever felt uncomfortable, I told him and he changed things. I have found that if I communicate what my problems are I get a compromise. Since 1987 other doctors told me that since I was a woman my problem was hormones and/or depression. I have tried over 10 depression medicines and all of them didn't work but was still told I was depressed. Dr. Lerner was the first to give many tests to rule out other illnesses/diseases. Yes, he is expensive but I have found it worth it. When I started on Dr. Lerner's program I was at a 4 on his scale. Two years later, I am an 8.5. I have done the laundry 8 weeks straight which I have not done since 1987. If you have the viruses Dr. Lerner diagnoses and take his program, I am sure that you will improve as I have. If you do not mind waiting 2 hours and the expense, I would give him a try. As far as I feel, Dr. Lerner knows what he is doing where others do not.

Submitted Sept. 11, 2011 | flag

If you have a condition that no other doctor has been able to diagnose or treat, you should go NOW to Dr. Lerner. A brilliant diagnostician (EXCEPTIONALLY thorough/determined) who does not dismiss women's illnesses as trivial or psychological, he works closely with my other Beaumont doctors (obgyn/internist/hematologist/cardiologist/dermatologist) by sharing diagnoses/test results, and by initiating phone discussions for a team approach to my health. I am 1 year into my treatment and expect my CFS/Fibromyalgia will take several more years to cure completely, so I do not expect chatty encouragement or a morale-boosting peptalk at every appointment. I expect (& receive) a thorough analysis of my latest tests, a careful adjustment of my meds (if required), & kindly concern for me as a patient & human being. I do not expect him to be God, nor his staff to be Saints, but I have found that a smile and pleasant demeanor are always appreciated & reflected back to me. A Very Grateful Patient

Submitted Dec. 1, 2010 | flag

Dr. Lerner is a great doctor. His staff, however, is rude, insensitive and uneducated. If you can ignore the staff and the 2 hour wait, you will be well rewarded.

Submitted March 25, 2010 | flag

I'm not sure about the looking at the brest thing I must not of had the type he liked. He did help me I think he is very strange and it's his way or the highway so I just tell him what he wants to hear. I drive 80miles one way He has made me cry I just decied to take it for what it's worth he is just old most of the staff is ok. I'm glad he helped me

Submitted March 16, 2010 | flag

Most employees at the hospital he works out of regard Dr Lerner as a Quack. Every year he picks a new "diagnosis" and suddenly that's what everyone has. He orders the same tests on all of his patients. He has mis diagnosed & mis treated a lot of people I know for the wrong thing

Submitted Feb. 3, 2010 | flag

I went to Dr. Lerner for over 5 years, he helped me with EBV. It affected my heart and he helped me get through it. I now know how to manage this and take care of myself. Thank you Dr. Lerner. Most people that are having issues with him are putting mean things on here because they are happy with his answers or they are past the point of help.

Submitted Dec. 22, 2009 | flag

i have been a patient of dr lerner's since jan 09. i have never had my gown ripped open and he has never looked at my breasts!! i had issues with him listening to me in the beginning, but i was trying to run the appointment and he does not like that. most holistic drs i have seen for cfs make their diagnosis by incorporating what you say. lerner isn't as interested in what you say, as he treats you based on the data of his many, many clinical studies. to be honest, i like not having to recall and assess how i've been feeling - knowing that i might not remember perfectly, as i am still sick. lerner runs the show. i have learned to let him come in and do his thing and then ask my questions. i'm trying to accomodate his issues with being questioned, but i don't mind. it works. he has helped me immeasurably. people fly from all over the country to see him. if you are overly sensitive, maybe he is not for you. if you want to GET WELL, he is.

Submitted Nov. 13, 2009 | flag

Dr Lerner saved our daughters life. Our daughter was almost bedridden when we first saw Dr Lerner 18 months ago, now she is nearly leading a normal life. on a score out of 1 - 10 her health was a 2 and is now a 7.It upsets me greatly to hear negative things said about him. This man is the kindest most professional specialist I have ever meet.He is highly regarded by all in the medical profession. He is a great man, a hero to all his me/cfs patients.If you have me/cfs, see Dr Lerner, get your health and your quality of life back. I thank god everyday for finding such a brilliant, humble and sincere specialist.

Submitted Sept. 25, 2009 | flag