Rate Dr. Henry Solow

Dr. Henry Solow's Ratings

I was a patient of Dr. Solow quite a few years ago and I can see from reading these reviews that not much has changed. I was not at all satisfied with his care. He takes on far too many patients and consequently he is not available to talk with people. Patients are not legislated. Treat 50 patients extremely well rather than 150 patients poorly. I sincerely question whether or not it is just volume of patients. I don't think he is as knowledgable as he would have you think. Always get a second opinion when dealing with Dr. Solow.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2582895].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 17, 2014

I was referred to Dr. Solow for blood work. He requested a comprehensive set of tests. The Dr. informed me it could take over a month to get the results. Two months later, I followed up. No response. 3 months later, I followed up again. The receptionist kindly informed me that the fastest way to get a response was to email the Dr. using a specific subject line. I wrote to the Dr. and received an automated response indicating he would respond directly in day or so.

Another month has gone by. I have followed up with another request to share my test results.
Still waiting to hear back. If he burns me off again I may have to return to GP and the start the whole referral process over again.

To be fair I cannot speak to Dr. Solow's competence. When your test results are overdue you may need to follow-up with his office frequently. Don't assume they will contact you when they should or respond when they say.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2544272].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 20, 2014

I believe the rating of a Dr has to do with of course your own personal experiences, having said that, our ways excellent!! He spent time with us at appointments, in the chemo clinic and on the hospital unit when his visit was a curtisity not a requirement. He answered our questions, treated us with respect and kindness, gave very knowledgeable treatment and hope. People should try to put aside their anger at such a trying time. No one is to blame for your sickness. Sometimes it doesn't show up until it's too late and the prognosis is not what one hopes for. Dr. Solow seemed to always be there for us at 8am or 8 pm. He has a lot of pts and is in demand constantly. Couldn't ask for a better dr to help us with our very hard diagnosis and treatment regiment

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2525538].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 5, 2014

Dr Solow is A1 as far as I am concerned. The negative ratings below do not reflect the Dr I know and have known for 6 years. An honest ,forthright oncologist with a great sense of humour. I suspect any DR's attitude towards a patient depends a great deal on how the patient's attitude is towards him/her. What goes around comes around. Unavoidable delays caused by extenuating circumstances can cause Drs and patients to not be as punctual as either would like. In any event if Dr Solow is delayed he apologizes , which means he takes responsibility. I wld recommend Dr Solow to anyone in need of his specialty. The whole oncology team at Markham Stouffville Hosp are exemplary and deserve the highest ratings possible.AMEN.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1993602].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 4, 2014

Dr. Solow is a very kind and thoughtful doctor. He looked after my mother who had a very aggressive cancer. Dr Solow spent a great deal of time with my mother and I. He was patient with my mother's questions, and he was always available by phone or e-mail--even on weekends and holidays. He was kind, gentle, and provided excellent care. I am very grateful for Dr Solow's honest but optimistic approach. He is the only Oncologist who arrived at the right diagnosis and provided my mother with prompt and appropriate care. My mother couldn't say enough good things about Dr Solow. I feel the same way. Dr Solow answered all my questions and I never felt rushed. Thank you Dr Solow for helping my family at such a difficult time.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1993601].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 22, 2011

Do not stay with this doctor - please find another doctor that specializes in your type of cancer. Although Dr. Solow was very prompt with booking tests and scans he scores very low in communication skills. I left countless voice messages at his office and did not receive a phone call until 4 days later. Very unprofessional in that sense. Dr. Solow started off as a warm and concerned doctor, however as my time with him progressed he became rude and cold towards my family and I. I was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma over 4 months after my initial visit with him. He did not act quick enough because he kept reassuring me that I did not have cancer. I finally left MSH and I am now at Princess Margaret seeking chemo treatment from an experienced and highly recognized Lymphoma specialist. After communicating through email of my new treatment at Princess Margaret, Solow responded with such crude and rudeness in a very brief statement. If you know what's good for you - SEEK ANOTHER ONCOLOGIST!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1993600].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 14, 2010

I suspect that many of the negative comments about Dr Solow are more a reflection of the fact that he treats very ill patients and often has to give very bad news; it may be a case of blaming the messenger. My experiences with Dr Solow have been wonderful. Fifteen years ago, he treated me for breast cancer, recommending a course of treatment that has kept me cancer-free since. He was always there when I needed him. I found him to be honest and compassionate. A few years after my treatment, he treated my mother as she was dying in hospital. Again, he was honest and compassionate. I couldn't have asked for a better doctor and I would recommend him to anybody!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1993599].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 23, 2009

After mis-diagnosing my husband's sore back as "pinched nerve/pulled muscle"...my husband ended up paralized, radiated and in a wheelchair for nearly a year due to the tumor that had grown on his spine....thanks HENRY...you took a vibrant man and broke his spirit...then we had to corner you to speak to you!! Run, don't walk to another Doctor!!!!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1993598].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 4, 2009

A few years ago I was a 29 year old patient in the ER at Markham Stouffville with a sudden acute case of ITP (I had only 2 platelets and was bleeding out). Dr. Solow's was called as the hematologist and after significant delays I was treated. Going forward, however his choice of therapy (100 mg of prednisone for 2 weeks and then stopping completely without tapering) now seems laughable. He was rude/kurt on a subsequent appointment. My platelets quickly bottomed out and his office refused to return my calls or followup. I went to the ER in downtown Toronto (which was both incredibly professional and competent!) and ended up under the care of Dr. David Barth at Princess Margaret - a much busier specialist than Dr. Solow, but whose competence and care in treating me (both in actual therapy and in returning calls and updating me) was exemplary. I would advise all patients to seek treatment in Toronto... I am in healthcare, and MSH is actually considered a joke in the industry!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1993597].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 26, 2009

Wow does this Dr. even exist? Hmm 2 yrs ago I was to see Dr Solo about a suspicious tumour within my stomach(I was only 18). So I had to wait 2 weeks for him to get back from holidays... When he finally got back he refused to see me unless I saw an oncologic surgeon first. Sure enough I found out it was a very fast growing tumour and by the time I started going to a REAL hospital (Princess Margret)the tumour got really big and I have been on chemo for two years now and the tumour has hardly shrunk...So thanks for wasting my time (I mean if he looked at my health & family history he may realize that my mom died of cancer at 42...so maybe he should have made some time) More recently he messed around with my uncles time and hos prognosis is looking grim now too...Thank goodness for Toronto hospitals .....And I do usually have a lot of faith in doctors, and I am not the type to be over-judgmental, but sometimes they learn mess up pretty big

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1993596].votes_count ]]