Rate Dr. Henry Solow

Dr. Henry Solow's Ratings

Dr Solow is A1 as far as I am concerned. The negative ratings below do not reflect the Dr I know and have known for 6 years. An honest ,forthright oncologist with a great sense of humour. I suspect any DR's attitude towards a patient depends a great deal on how the patient's attitude is towards him/her. What goes around comes around. Unavoidable delays caused by extenuating circumstances can cause Drs and patients to not be as punctual as either would like. In any event if Dr Solow is delayed he apologizes , which means he takes responsibility. I wld recommend Dr Solow to anyone in need of his specialty. The whole oncology team at Markham Stouffville Hosp are exemplary and deserve the highest ratings possible.AMEN.

Submitted March 4, 2014 | flag

Dr. Solow is a very kind and thoughtful doctor. He looked after my mother who had a very aggressive cancer. Dr Solow spent a great deal of time with my mother and I. He was patient with my mother's questions, and he was always available by phone or e-mail--even on weekends and holidays. He was kind, gentle, and provided excellent care. I am very grateful for Dr Solow's honest but optimistic approach. He is the only Oncologist who arrived at the right diagnosis and provided my mother with prompt and appropriate care. My mother couldn't say enough good things about Dr Solow. I feel the same way. Dr Solow answered all my questions and I never felt rushed. Thank you Dr Solow for helping my family at such a difficult time.

Submitted March 22, 2011 | flag

Do not stay with this doctor - please find another doctor that specializes in your type of cancer. Although Dr. Solow was very prompt with booking tests and scans he scores very low in communication skills. I left countless voice messages at his office and did not receive a phone call until 4 days later. Very unprofessional in that sense. Dr. Solow started off as a warm and concerned doctor, however as my time with him progressed he became rude and cold towards my family and I. I was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma over 4 months after my initial visit with him. He did not act quick enough because he kept reassuring me that I did not have cancer. I finally left MSH and I am now at Princess Margaret seeking chemo treatment from an experienced and highly recognized Lymphoma specialist. After communicating through email of my new treatment at Princess Margaret, Solow responded with such crude and rudeness in a very brief statement. If you know what's good for you - SEEK ANOTHER ONCOLOGIST!

Submitted Nov. 14, 2010 | flag

I suspect that many of the negative comments about Dr Solow are more a reflection of the fact that he treats very ill patients and often has to give very bad news; it may be a case of blaming the messenger. My experiences with Dr Solow have been wonderful. Fifteen years ago, he treated me for breast cancer, recommending a course of treatment that has kept me cancer-free since. He was always there when I needed him. I found him to be honest and compassionate. A few years after my treatment, he treated my mother as she was dying in hospital. Again, he was honest and compassionate. I couldn't have asked for a better doctor and I would recommend him to anybody!

Submitted July 23, 2009 | flag

After mis-diagnosing my husband's sore back as "pinched nerve/pulled muscle"...my husband ended up paralized, radiated and in a wheelchair for nearly a year due to the tumor that had grown on his spine....thanks HENRY...you took a vibrant man and broke his spirit...then we had to corner you to speak to you!! Run, don't walk to another Doctor!!!!

Submitted March 4, 2009 | flag

A few years ago I was a 29 year old patient in the ER at Markham Stouffville with a sudden acute case of ITP (I had only 2 platelets and was bleeding out). Dr. Solow's was called as the hematologist and after significant delays I was treated. Going forward, however his choice of therapy (100 mg of prednisone for 2 weeks and then stopping completely without tapering) now seems laughable. He was rude/kurt on a subsequent appointment. My platelets quickly bottomed out and his office refused to return my calls or followup. I went to the ER in downtown Toronto (which was both incredibly professional and competent!) and ended up under the care of Dr. David Barth at Princess Margaret - a much busier specialist than Dr. Solow, but whose competence and care in treating me (both in actual therapy and in returning calls and updating me) was exemplary. I would advise all patients to seek treatment in Toronto... I am in healthcare, and MSH is actually considered a joke in the industry!

Submitted Feb. 26, 2009 | flag

Wow does this Dr. even exist? Hmm 2 yrs ago I was to see Dr Solo about a suspicious tumour within my stomach(I was only 18). So I had to wait 2 weeks for him to get back from holidays... When he finally got back he refused to see me unless I saw an oncologic surgeon first. Sure enough I found out it was a very fast growing tumour and by the time I started going to a REAL hospital (Princess Margret)the tumour got really big and I have been on chemo for two years now and the tumour has hardly shrunk...So thanks for wasting my time (I mean if he looked at my health & family history he may realize that my mom died of cancer at 42...so maybe he should have made some time) More recently he messed around with my uncles time and hos prognosis is looking grim now too...Thank goodness for Toronto hospitals .....And I do usually have a lot of faith in doctors, and I am not the type to be over-judgmental, but sometimes they learn mess up pretty big

Submitted Feb. 17, 2009 | flag

I completely disagree with all the negative comments some posters have said about Dr. Solow especially those that question his compassion and care. Dr. Solow treated my mom for Stage IV breast cancer back in 2000. At the time, she was brought to Markham Stouffville with metastasized tumors causing excrutiating pain to the spinal cord. Dr. Solow was absolutely fantastic; he moved quickly to get my mom started on a radiation program that shrunk the tumors causing the spinal cord pain. After 2 months of this treatment my bedridden mom was able to walk. She was released from the hospital, and Dr. Solow put her on a chemotherapy program. Her original prognosis was 6-8 months at most, but my mom survived for another 2 years in Stage IV under Dr. Solow's wonderful care. Yes, he may not be the most punctual, and but consider that his punctuality is probably impacted by the number of patients he has and the amount of work required for each patient. Thank you for everything Dr. Solow!

Submitted Jan. 19, 2009 | flag

I first met Dr. Solow in 1996 when he diagnosed my Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. He was professional, caring and knowledgeable but at the same time straight forward and didn't beat around the bush with my diagnosis. When my pathology came back from Sunnybrook he was concerned that they may not be correct and sent the slides to Stanford (California). Stanford confirmed the diagnosis as what he originally thought, a type of lymphoma commonly misdiagnosed as what Sunnybrook thought. During chemo he always responded to my calls quickly and was never dismissive. He advocated for me with TGH to get my bone transplant and I feel 100% that the only reason I am here today is Henry Solow. I acknowledge that he is always late and that I had long waits in his office. I assumed, however, that this was because he always took his time and didn't rush with any patient. I know this was true in my case. THANK YOU HENRY.

Submitted Nov. 18, 2008 | flag

Doctor Solow presented as arrogant and uncaring. He did not treat my son with dignity. Solow's clinical evaluation were minimal as though he was repulsed by touching him. He made assessments from the doorway of his office or the bottom of my son's hospital bed. Most often he was not available by phone or at the hospital for questions, unless cornered. His reluctance to get to the bottom of my son's symptoms and illness wasted valuable time and contributed to his death.

Submitted Aug. 25, 2008 | flag