Rate Dr. Steven L. Shirley

Dr. Steven L. Shirley's Ratings

I came in with TMD (Jaw Joint Problems), a notoriously difficult to cure problem. Dr. Shirley has a lot of experience with this and by the end of the treatment I was no longer experiencing the painful and inconvenient symptoms and since I finished the treatment the symptoms have not come back.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2262198].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 27, 2014

I have been going to Dr. Shirley since the mid-90's and have recommended him to numerous people through word of mouth, & now I'm happy to do it on-line. I have had 2 disc (L4-5 vic) surgeries and without Dr. Shirley, I doubt I'd be able to enjoy the quality of life (scuba diver, hiker, horseback rider) that I do! There have been times that I have literally crawled into his office just to have him get me back up and walking the same day & then work to keep me that way. I'm a difficult patient, only going in when I was in REALLY bad shape, so sometimes it would take a few weeks of visits, and sometimes he'd straighten me out in 1 or 2 visits and then I was good again. He has always been very knowledgable & professional, but NOT stuffy! He has a great sense of humor! He continually advises me on new approaches & exercises to do to keep my core strong & my way of life intact. I'm 55 & extremely active. If it weren't for Dr. Shirley, I doubt I would be that way today. Terie Wright

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][251735].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 19, 2014

I was happy with the results I was getting from seeing Dr. Shirley at first, however, I finally quit treatment with him because of his constant belittling of my other providers and their choices for treatment and also of me because I chose to participate in some of those treatments. The nasty comments were making each visit hard to take. Finally, at my last appointment with him, I had asked him for some exercise handouts and he got angry and told me he didn't have time for this stuff and to take it up with one of my other providers because it wasn't his job. I then started seeing the other chiropractor there and realized the treatments weren't working and I hated each time I had to go because inevitably there would be a confrontation about my needing to come in twice a week and should be there before every physical therapy session I had. Four times a week? Really?Happily I have found a new provider who is amazing and since making that change I no longer have to have jaw work done!Yea!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][251734].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 26, 2012

Prior to seeing Dr. Shirley, I had chronic, near-daily headaches. I was diagnosed with a condition called Arnold-Chiari Malformation in 2001 and had decompression surgery in 2002. I refused to let anyone come near my neck! I also had chronic TMJ which also contributed to my chronic pain. I tried more pills than I can count to manage my daily pain with minimal success. By 2010, I was desperate for relief from my daily pain and took my doctor's advice to see Dr. Shirley. I am so glad that I did! Dr. Shirley was able to provide treatment that was safe for my diagnosis and also very effective. I have found significant relief from my daily headaches. My daily headaches decreased from 5-6 per week to 1-2 days (or less!) per week. The severity of the headaches has also dramatically decreased. I am grateful to Dr. Shirley for improving my life and helping to decrease my chronic pain. I would recommend Dr. Shirley to anyone suffering with chronic head pain!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][251733].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 17, 2011

The staff always greets you and is very friendly. Dr. Shirley has helped me keep my body aligned from my jaw (TMJ)down to my knees. Not only does he have an expertise with adjustments, he is fun to converse with. I never leave without feeling better.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][251732].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 26, 2011

Healing hands abound in Spokane Valley at Spinal & Sports. My body is never disappointed by the treatments it receives, and my mind is always in awe of Steve Shirley's wit and Ashley Purdy's compassionate ear -- located just beyond her skillful, soothing hands. I'm never surprised to see neighbors and friends in the waiting room of one of Spokane's best-kept secrets.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][251731].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 7, 2011

This chiropractor is good, but his billing and accounting staff are TERRRIBLE. They owe us a refund and keep holding out, saying they will get to it... So beware! They demand payment up front, so check with your insurance, NOT THEM(!), before you pay what they say. Their billing staff just interestingly do not have the time to process a refund. I recommend going elsewhere to more honest providers.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][251730].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 27, 2011

Dr. Shirley helped me more than physical therapy and much quicker. He's above and beyond your normal chiropractor. He not only dealt with my bones, but my muscles, which were knotted in adhesions. He used a Graston knife system to break up the adhesions, which allowed me to have free motion again. I had already tried physical therapy, which did not help much. I also tried massage, and that did not help much. But Dr. Shirley recognized the adhesions and within a few treatments with the Graston knife, he had me feeling much better. He also does not pressure anyone into endless treatments to solve the problem. He'll tell you that if he cannot help you in a handful of visits, you should go somewhere else! As far as his personality, I think he is very funny. Some people may not "get" his sense of humor or his personality, but to me, I thought he was just a riot! I never dreaded having an appointment. I definitely felt much better after seeing him.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][251729].votes_count ]]