Rate Dr. K Donald Shelbourne

Dr. K Donald Shelbourne's Ratings

My 14 yr old swimmer recently tore his ACL. After several bad experiences with 3 seperate local Dr's (2 wrong diagnosis from urgent care and family dr., and 1 surgeon that "had done a few ACL repairs"), I found Dr. Shelbourne online. From the first time I called his office with questions, his staff has been amazing. Dr Shelbourne has done over 6,000 ACL surgeries. This guy is truly a knee EXPERT. We live 4hrs away, and while it has not been convenient, there's no doubt in my mind we made the best choice for our son. Four weeks after surgery he's back in the water and on a bike (along with therapy). I 100% recommend Dr Shelbourne, and hope that he's still in practice if my family ever needs further knee help!!!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1995151].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 3, 2014

Dr Shelbourne is my hero! He fixed my arthrofibrotic knee 9 years ago when NO OTHER knee surgeon could. Had 4 surgeries prior to him, and after less than 1 week I was released. Still do PT on my own but I run, cycle and do any kind of sports I like! Don't waste your time with other docs, I recommend him wholeheartedly. Bonus: they research and do lifetime follow ups for those with AF!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1995150].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 22, 2011

I am a 63 year old female and was seeing a rheumatologist for my left knee. He recomended an MRI, injections, and surgery. Shelbourne Clinic advised me against it. Using a stationary bike, recommended, I stopped my pain pills, regained motion, and saw the long-term solution to a short-term looking rheumatologist. Thank goodness.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1995149].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 11, 2010

I thought my soccer playing was over. I couldn't run anymore. Then I met Dr. Shelbourne. He saved my knee and my soccer life. I am forever grateful. I reccommend him for any knee related surgery.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1995148].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 21, 2010

Dr. Shelbourne did an ACL repair on me 20 years ago. My knee is great. He is an awesome surgeon. I have been to see him several times since my surgery and his staff has been great. He is the expert in sports related injuries.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1995147].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 4, 2010

I noticed the rest of the reviews looked to be sports related. Dr Shelbourne seems to be good at sports injuries. He or Dr Urch are not good at are related arthritic knees. After seeing Dr Shelbourne, going through his very limited therepy and having surgery, I will have to say: I am in pain all of the time have a limp and will need a knee replacement. I was told by my therapist that she didn't know if the therapy would help me or make me worse. She didn't know what to do except to end treatment until I got a knee replacement and they would do the therapy. Trust me I wouldn't let anyone at Shelbourne Clinic treatment for any reason. If you don't have a torn ACL or MCL stay away from Shelbourne Clinic. I got better care from a general orthorpaedic surgeon

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1995146].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 12, 2009

I've traveled to see Dr. Shelbourne three times after a local orthopedic surgeon recommended surgery for a knee condition. All three times Dr. Shelbourned looked at the x-rays/MRIs, explained what was going on, and recommended against surgery. When necessary he'd give me exercises/stretches to do. All three times my knee has recovered just fine on its own with no surgery. He is a fantastic doctor. He, or his associates, are the only doctors I would ever let operate on my knee if it was necessary.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1995145].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 9, 2009

Dr. Shelbourne is a world class physician. He really taught me a lot about my knee. He and his staff helped me make a valuable improvement. He has a great approach to treating patients-- very honest and down to earth. I wish more doctors were like him.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1995144].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 4, 2009

dr. shelbourne saved my knee and basically my sanity. i had a terrible experience with and ACL reconstruction with another doctor and shelbourne came to help clean up the mess i was left with. They are experts in arthrofibrosis and other knee complications. i will be forever grateful to shelbourne for saving my knee. i am a fairly young athlete, and without his help i would never be able to return to my old activities! HE IS WORTH THE DRIVE, FLIGHT, WHATEVER!!!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1995143].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 12, 2007

Dr. Shelbourne emphasizes reviewing a practitioner's history, education and training prior to allowing them to treat you. I love his professionalism and that he is not anxious to perform surgery before attempting a well-followed physical therapy regimen. His therapists do not supervise--they are actively involved in prescribed therapy and work directly from Dr. Shelbourne's treatment plan. While Dr. K performs thousands of joint surgeries each year, he does not believe that everyone is an immediate candidate for surgery. He is not a pill-mill doctor, so don't go asking for scheduled narcotics--they only mask the pain. I'd recommend everyone with joint disease or injuries to contact his office today for an appointment. He's the best. Kudos to his new partner and staff as well!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1995142].votes_count ]]