Rate Dr. Mohammad Shakir

Dr. Mohammad Shakir's Ratings

He spent more time on a cell phone in the back parking lot while patients continue to pile up in the waiting room waiting well beyond their appointment times. His overweight staff shamed me for being overweight. Also he diagnosed me without checking me and then offered me OxyContin and Vicodin for arthritic pain. When I asked him how could he tell where I had rheumatoid arthritis versus osteoarthritis without checking me, he said because he was the doctor and I was the patient. The last time I saw him, he asked me why did I waste his time by coming into his office. I never went back.

Submitted Sept. 11, 2014 | flag

Does not understand autoimmune conditions at all. Kept pushing a diagnosis of fibromyalgia without checking tender points or examining me. Also kept trying to convince me that most of my problems were in my head and due to depression/anxiety. Consistently never ordered lab work and when I would ask him to order it, he would get annoyed like I was wasting his time. If my joints were not visibly swollen, he would not believe I was in pain. He was always running late, yet my visits were always rushed and took about 5 minutes tops. Always talked down to me and I left several times in tears. When I was finally able to change health plans and leave, they charged me a fee of $25 for my records. The records were incomplete and did not fully document a large majority of my symptoms and issues.

Submitted Aug. 12, 2014 | flag

My first apt, I fought with him based on my own "brilliant internet research", I didn't believe in the diagnosis he gave me, and couldn't understand how he came to it so quickly. After I calmed down, he gave me every bit of proof as to how he came to that diagnosis. I was in shock, denial, and cried. He was direct with me, and I'm not used to a doc giving it to me straight w/o a load of sugar coated bs and a million random experimental treatments to go along with it. Once I calmed down, he started working with me on meds. It took a little while, but we found a balance. Before seeing him, I could hardly get out of bed or hold a job. He gave me my life back. I have a full time job and a social life again. I'll never be 100% with my condition, but life is livable again. Once you get past the fact that he speaks to you like an adult, and that your own internet research MIGHT not be as good as his board certified research, you'll be fine.

Submitted Nov. 6, 2013 | flag

This doctor was awful! He could have cared less to look at my medical history or hear anything I had to say. I think I completely tuned him out the minute he said my Celiac Disease was an allergy and not an autoimmune disease. What an idiot! He very rudely tried to make me feel as if I am anxious and took all of five seconds to thumb through a letter from my previous doctor. I left with no answers and no treatment plan whatsoever. He actually walked out of the room without saying goodbye. Honestly, I left in shock. However, I have enough confidence to know that my pain is real, I do have the disease he told me I didn't. I will find a new doctor. Will not ever put myself in a situation to feel bad about myself again.

Submitted Nov. 2, 2013 | flag

Had me fill out a questionaire, then without checking any points on my body said I had fibromylgia. I asked don't you check the body for tender points? His answer, "that is old fashioned". Told me the only solution was anti-depressants. I don't have fibromylgia. His office staff was wonderful, too bad the Dr wasn't.

Submitted May 6, 2013 | flag

Mohammad Shakir must have got his medical degree at the Dollar Store, because of numerous occasions when I ask him a specific question about my condition, he did not have an inteligent answer to offer, if any. I am disabled with both types of arthritis, and I went to him 1 1/2 years. In the beginning he strongly suggested that I take DMARDS, but didn't bother to tell me that they can have some very serious side effects, even causing death. I researched to find this out myself and on one appointment mentioned my findings, and he said that he knew they can cause death but he thought I should take them anyway! When I politely refused he sent me a letter in the mail dropping me as a patient! When I found another Rheumatologist I first asked for my records to be sent to me, then I asked again for them to be sent to the new doctor. They claim that they sent them but it has been weeks and never received. I called again about this and was told that they now want me to pay $20 for them.

Submitted July 24, 2012 | flag

Went into his office in a flare-up with sores in my mouth and hands/joints swollen and in severe. He had NO idea how to help me and said he never heard of lupus patients getting sores in their mouth. He said that he thought my pain/sores were from fibro, not lupus. He never prescribed steroids like my rheumatologist in another state did (which helped get over the flare). Dr. Shakir also doesn't order the blood work considered protocol. He only orders a CBC which doesn't show antibodies or how active/inactive the lupus is. I have to call his office and ask WHY they didn't order the lupus panel and then they added it onto the request--but, I've had to remind them every time I get blood work. I have gone to him twice in severe pain in the year he has been my doctor, and both times, he just looked at me and said he didn't know how to help me or that there was nothing he could do to help me. He's insensitive, rude and not very knowledgeable about autoimmune diseases.

Submitted Jan. 4, 2012 | flag

Going to Dr. Shakir was the best thing EVER. I have Lupus for 18 years and was seeing another highly recommended Rheumatologist. I was in chronic dibilitaing pain for about 8 months that toatlly effective my daily life and my previous Rheumatologist did not help in finding any solutions. After a visit with Dr Shakir, with testing, diagnosis and proper treatment I have been pain free for over 7 months. He even called me personally to discuss test results! Some may mistaken his straight forward to the point personality as noncaring or cold but he is just one to tell it like it is. I feel he is very knowledgeable and has given me the proper treatment along with a greater look on life! His staff is extremly personable and very helpful and there is never much long of a wait to be seen.

Submitted Nov. 10, 2011 | flag

Have to agree with the other reviews on this site... terrible bedside manner, unprepared (despite waiting for 6+ wks for an appt), and made several condescending comments throughout the consult... i.e., when I told him I was working with a naturopath for supplementation, his words were - and I quote "good luck with that".

Submitted Nov. 9, 2011 | flag

Dr. Shakir accepted me as a new patient and helped me relieve my severe pain when I had no one else to turn to. I will always be thankful for his expert treatment and advise.

Submitted Aug. 24, 2011 | flag