Dr. Mohammad Shakir

Grad. Year: 1993

Answers Email: N
Online Appt. Scheduling: N
Accepting New Patients:Y

Profile updated 30/08/13    Submit profile update    Subscribe to profile updates

Rating: 2.0 out of 5 (5 is best), based on 20 reviews. Dr. Mohammad Shakir has a poor overall rating on RateMDs.com. frown

New! - Questions and answers about this doctor

Rheumatologist-related: rheumatic diseases, musculoskeletal problems, scleroderma, musculoskeletal pain, arthritis, systemic lupus erythematosus, polymyositis, Raynaud's phenomenon, vasculitis, connective tissue diseases, rheumatic fever
The following ratings and comments have not been substantiated by RateMDs.com.
Date Staff Punctual Helpful Knowledge Review Comments
RID: 3598157
06/11/13 5 5 5 5 My first apt, I fought with him based on my own "brilliant internet research", I didn't believe in the diagnosis he gave me, and couldn't understand how he came to it so quickly. After I calmed down, he gave me every bit of proof as to how he came to that diagnosis. I was in shock, denial, and cried. He was direct with me, and I'm not used to a doc giving it to me straight w/o a load of sugar coated bs and a million random experimental treatments to go along with it. Once I calmed down, he started working with me on meds. It took a little while, but we found a balance. Before seeing him, I could hardly get out of bed or hold a job. He gave me my life back. I have a full time job and a social life again. I'll never be 100% with my condition, but life is livable again. Once you get past the fact that he speaks to you like an adult, and that your own internet research MIGHT not be as good as his board certified research, you'll be fine.
RID: 3593627

02/11/13 3 1 1 1 This doctor was awful! He could have cared less to look at my medical history or hear anything I had to say. I think I completely tuned him out the minute he said my Celiac Disease was an allergy and not an autoimmune disease. What an idiot! He very rudely tried to make me feel as if I am anxious and took all of five seconds to thumb through a letter from my previous doctor. I left with no answers and no treatment plan whatsoever. He actually walked out of the room without saying goodbye. Honestly, I left in shock. However, I have enough confidence to know that my pain is real, I do have the disease he told me I didn't. I will find a new doctor. Will not ever put myself in a situation to feel bad about myself again.
RID: 2641383
06/05/13 5 5 1 1 Had me fill out a questionaire, then without checking any points on my body said I had fibromylgia. I asked don't you check the body for tender points? His answer, "that is old fashioned". Told me the only solution was anti-depressants. I don't have fibromylgia. His office staff was wonderful, too bad the Dr wasn't.
Paid (or co-pay): $40
RID: 2383571
24/07/12 2 1 1 1 Mohammad Shakir must have got his medical degree at the Dollar Store, because of numerous occasions when I ask him a specific question about my condition, he did not have an inteligent answer to offer, if any. I am disabled with both types of arthritis, and I went to him 1 1/2 years. In the beginning he strongly suggested that I take DMARDS, but didn't bother to tell me that they can have some very serious side effects, even causing death. I researched to find this out myself and on one appointment mentioned my findings, and he said that he knew they can cause death but he thought I should take them anyway! When I politely refused he sent me a letter in the mail dropping me as a patient! When I found another Rheumatologist I first asked for my records to be sent to me, then I asked again for them to be sent to the new doctor. They claim that they sent them but it has been weeks and never received. I called again about this and was told that they now want me to pay $20 for them.
RID: 1676226
04/01/12 4 3 1 1 Went into his office in a flare-up with sores in my mouth and hands/joints swollen and in severe. He had NO idea how to help me and said he never heard of lupus patients getting sores in their mouth. He said that he thought my pain/sores were from fibro, not lupus. He never prescribed steroids like my rheumatologist in another state did (which helped get over the flare). Dr. Shakir also doesn't order the blood work considered protocol. He only orders a CBC which doesn't show antibodies or how active/inactive the lupus is. I have to call his office and ask WHY they didn't order the lupus panel and then they added it onto the request--but, I've had to remind them every time I get blood work. I have gone to him twice in severe pain in the year he has been my doctor, and both times, he just looked at me and said he didn't know how to help me or that there was nothing he could do to help me. He's insensitive, rude and not very knowledgeable about autoimmune diseases.
RID: 1630816
10/11/11 5 5 5 4 Going to Dr. Shakir was the best thing EVER. I have Lupus for 18 years and was seeing another highly recommended Rheumatologist. I was in chronic dibilitaing pain for about 8 months that toatlly effective my daily life and my previous Rheumatologist did not help in finding any solutions. After a visit with Dr Shakir, with testing, diagnosis and proper treatment I have been pain free for over 7 months. He even called me personally to discuss test results! Some may mistaken his straight forward to the point personality as noncaring or cold but he is just one to tell it like it is. I feel he is very knowledgeable and has given me the proper treatment along with a greater look on life! His staff is extremly personable and very helpful and there is never much long of a wait to be seen.
RID: 1629840

09/11/11 2 2 1 2 Have to agree with the other reviews on this site... terrible bedside manner, unprepared (despite waiting for 6+ wks for an appt), and made several condescending comments throughout the consult... i.e., when I told him I was working with a naturopath for supplementation, his words were - and I quote "good luck with that".
RID: 1521261
24/08/11 5 5 5 5 Dr. Shakir accepted me as a new patient and helped me relieve my severe pain when I had no one else to turn to. I will always be thankful for his expert treatment and advise.  Respond
RID: 1521011
24/08/11 3 3 2 2 I have no other choice of doctor with my health plan. he is rude and insensitive.
RID: 1464541
14/06/11 5 3 1 1 I rather deal with my pain than waste any time going to him. Straight-forward and not caring less are two different things.
RID: 1349031
28/01/11 5 5 5 5 Been with Dr Shakir for over 2 1/2 years he is a great Dr just tells you like it is and gives you proper treatment for symptoms. Thanks Doc.. Chad
RID: 1244042
05/09/10 5 4 1 1 Rude, insensitive, terrible people skills, attitude on wheels! Never go to this doctor.  Respond
RID: 1172827
19/05/10 5 3 4 5 Dr was very straight forward. Explained arthritis & gave pamphlets.
Insurance: Humana
RID: 1150447
15/04/10 3 1 1 1 This doctor was extremely rude and does not care a bit about his patients. He misdiagnosed me on purpose saying he would say I have fibromyalgia instead of rheumatoid arthritis which is what 3 other doctors diagnosed me with because people die from the medicine for it in which ruined my disability case. I don't understand how someone could be so heartless and cruel to people who are obviously in pain and need help.
Paid (or co-pay): $25
RID: 990197
18/09/09 3 1 1 1 very uncaring and unsatisfactory bedside manner, listening skills, empathy, and overall demeanor. no help whatsoever regarding treatment options or solutions.
Insurance: CIGNA
RID: 941032
20/07/09 3 2 1 1 i went to him three times each feeling like nothing was accomplished, I still cant bend my finger I he has given me the run around about what is wrong but no real reason. I feel dooped.
RID: 930822
07/07/09 1 1 1 1 this Dr. is terrible!!!!! He is not concerened at all with his patients and does NOT like women obviously due to where he comes from. He diganosed me with Severe Fibromyalgia, yet said that I am not in enough pain to not get on Short term disability. In turn even though the several Dr's I saw argued that and even called him and his office staff. I was clearly not able to work and because of him I got denied the disability and lost my home!!! DO NOT GO TO THIS SO CALLED DR!! Especially if you are a woman!!!!!
Insurance: CIGNA
RID: 875933
01/05/09 3 2 1 1 This Doctor is terrible. I have been Dx and treated for Lupus for over 25 years. I saw Dr. Shakir and he said I did not "LOOK" sick enough to have Lupus. When I explained to him my health history (I have ALL 11 of the 11 Dx criteria including all positive blood tests) He told me that did not matter (contrary to what the Lupus foundation says). He told me he could be wrong, but he didn't think so. He then told me that he really needed to cover his "butt" when it came to Lupus Dx so he didn't like to make them. I think he should go back to school or get out of the business.
RID: 54160
02/11/06 1 1 1 did not pay attention to patients needs or questions
Insurance: Secure Horizons
RID: 28956
26/04/06 3 1 1 This was first visit with doctor and it was horrible i let crying so bad couldnt talk to husband on phone. Very bad bad bedside manner. Was not concerned about medical history. Didnt want to listen to anything i had to say. Had to ask for tests to be done. Took all of one minute to read my records just plain horrible doctor would not recommend to my worst enemy
* - Rating left by a registered user