Rate Dr. Gary Spitzer

Dr. Gary Spitzer's Ratings

Dr Spitzer took my case in 2005. I was diagnosed with a rare cancer that about 130 per year get. My surgery was already set for 36 hours after my 1st appointment. About as soon as my husband & I walked in he went over my case and asked if we wanted a 2nd opinion. He knew the head of a Dept at MD Anderson and with one call while I was in the office they cancelled my surgery in GVL and set me up with a specialist in TX--cancelling that surgery could have very well saved my life and it didn't bother him to confer with others on my case. He is very bright, but very to the point. Not a chit chatter. We are young and his work with me was great. He could spend more time with his patients, but his personality isn't such. I followed up and had treatments here at his office. He does dictate in front of you which some can't stand, but if it helped him stay on task and more on time--I was alright with it. He has a new staff and office and I no longer see him since I wasn't allowed to leave

Submitted Jan. 19, 2011 | flag

Doctor keeps sending my brother 1-2 times a week to the hospital to get magnesium IVs. My brother's arms are very sore and looks like a pin cushion because his veins are so bad. The hospital is not close and my brother has a heart condition and has been hospitalized several times in the past 2 years. The doctor does not offer any reason why his mag count is low nor does he give any advice as to how to keep the mag count normal. He doesn't spend any time with my brother and the doctor is constantly talking into his recorder instead of listening and helping my brother. I feel he is more interested in getting the Medicare payments than curing the patient.

Submitted July 21, 2010 | flag

Submitted July 18, 2010 | flag

Twenty years ago, Gary Spitzer changed my life. I have the highest regards for him as a physician and as a human being. He appreciated the intelligence and analytic thoughts we had in regard to the protocols, yet understood the pain and confusion of a very young couple. He served the patient and the well spouse. I am pleased to have this opportunity to thank him and let others know of the profound respect I have of this professional who is also attuned to the human factors.

Submitted Nov. 18, 2009 | flag

To us he did not care about the patient's welfare as much as the money. He has an ego to the sky. Looks down on uneducated South Carolinas. That does not include us.

Submitted Oct. 11, 2009 | flag

Outstanding staff, will take time to answer intelligent questions but does cut the question short when he knows where it is heading (i.e. doesn't waste time), is very knowledgeable and has ready access to brilliant minds all over the US, and is willing to consult when required. The only shortcoming is punctuality in the office environment, however that is offset somewhat because he has always been immediately available when required for real urgent need. Happy to have him. My wife is a Leukemia/Lymphoma 5-year survivor because of his dedication and the efforts of his medical partners and staff. His professional style is to recommend a treatment and closely follow the progress against anticipated results, with a willingness to change treatment when the results differ from what is expected.

Submitted May 30, 2009 | flag

bRILLIANT MAN. I had breast cancer and the treatment he used for me worked. After eight months and six chemo treatments I am cancer free. I am now on a anti-hormone too keep cancer from returning.His nurse practioner is excellent .

Submitted March 21, 2009 | flag

Wonderful oncology doctor, but never on time and after death of child, was very uncooperative with lawyers who handled her case. Was unwilling to testify as he said all doctors in SC are in a Med Malpractice Insurance pool and it would make rates go up if fellow doctors had to pay. Guess what, they had to pay anyway for misdiagnosis.

Submitted March 8, 2009 | flag

Very aggressive medically, knowledgable and a fantastic personality; compassionate. I wish he would take more time to answer questions. Although it is routine for him, it is not necessarily routine for patients and families.

Submitted Oct. 15, 2008 | flag