Rate Dr. Zenko J. Hrynkiw

Dr. Zenko J. Hrynkiw's Ratings

Big ups Doc. You set your standard. Superfluous................

Submitted Feb. 1, 2014 | flag

I just saw him on the news. Dr. Zenko Hrynkiw trekked more than six miles on foot during a massive snowstorm to perform life-saving brain surgery on a patient.

Submitted Jan. 30, 2014 | flag

Went to Dr. Hrynkiw for a second opinion. I wanted to share that he was not the jerk everyone painted him to be, at least with me. He reviewed my CT myelogram, asked questions, reviewed options. Seemed very knowledgeable. He seemed honest and sincere saying he would not do me justice to do surgery of my kind, but said the other doctor was right on which what he would suggest. He then told me to be very careful who I did let do a surgery of this magnitude and gave me a name he trusted at UAB. His office staff also was good about helping with the referral paperwork right away and was pleasant. My personal experience was a man who was straight forward and knowledgeable and helpful. ~SNellis

Submitted Sept. 25, 2013 | flag

He did an awesome job on my left hand for carpal tunnel, and now he is about to do my other hand. He is not much of a talker, but I didn't need a talker I needed relief. And that's what he gave me. I would recommend him to anyone needing relief.

Submitted Dec. 5, 2012 | flag

This is the man who saved my life when I was 17. I had a brain tumor removed in an emergency surgery and then another brain surgery a few months later. He did not sugarcoat anything which was very helpful because I wanted to know all risks. If I had 100 surgeries I would want him for every one of them.

Submitted July 15, 2011 | flag

I had a Pituitary Tumor, And Dr. Hrynkiw Did my surgery.He is to the point and he is not much for chit chat but he was nice and knew what he was doing..I am glad he is the one who did the job of removing my tumor.I would use him again if need ever be..

Submitted Feb. 2, 2011 | flag

ok so here is the nitty- gritty... he might have been a good one 20 odd yrs ago for my aunts immediate brain tumor removal, but truth is... he appearently doesn't know much about Chiari Malformation, which is what i went in to see him about. He told me none of my symptoms where from my Chiari... The symptoms are all over the internet! I'm not a DR but i do know how to read, and i'm not stupid.(Def not saying he is) He needs to update his knowlege on this disorder or malformation, he didn't even tell me what he thought that it could be. ONLY thing i agree on is that he's not that friendly, but to the point. However, i do not agree with his knowlege. I DO NOT, ABSOLUTELY NOT RECCOMEND HIM TO A CHIARIAN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Submitted Feb. 28, 2010 | flag

I seen Dr.Hyrnkiw for severe neck pain, After several rounds of cortisone and steroid shots in my neck that did not help,he performed a cervical diskectomy with fusion and plate. After severeal months of waiting with still no relief,I went to back and he informed me that there wasn't anything else that he could do but send me to a pain clinic. I began to search for a spine specialist, I found a wonderful doctor. He sent me for a MRI and this is when I learned why I was still hurting. Dr. Hyrnkiw had replaced my disks with someone's else's bone and my body had rejected it. Now I have to have another surgery to repair the previous surgery and since it had not healed properly,this cause extra pressure on the other disks and now I have 2 other disks that will have to be replaced.I would not recommend Dr. Zenko Hyrnkiw to anyone!!!!!!!!!

Submitted Nov. 30, 2007 | flag

The other's are right on que about Doc's bedside manner but he knows his stuff.He is the best in my book. Would go back to him again if I ever had another problem of this magnitude.

Submitted Nov. 12, 2007 | flag

In 1985 I went to Zen after falling off a truck injuring my neck. I had been to another doctor in Jasper who kept me off work 3 months with no improvements. I had numbness down my left arm and severe pain in my left shoulder. Zen performed a posterior microscopic cervical laminectomy and had me ready to return to work in a few weeks. In 2003 he performed a lumbar discectomy on me for another injury for which another doctor had given me no hope for recovery. Determined not to stay on Oxycontin for the rest of my life I returned to Zen. First time I sat down in his office in 2003, the first thing he asked me was, "You still riding your motorcycle?" After 18 years he still remembered me! He's got a memory like a bear trap. He's the best there is. I'll recommend him above anyone as far as neurosurgeons go but I wouldn't recommend him for a class in etiquette, but then again I wouldn't recommend Emily Post as a neurosurgeon either.

Submitted Oct. 3, 2007 | flag