Dr. William J. Purkert

Grad. Year: 1979

Answers Email: Unknown
Online Appt. Scheduling: Unknown
Accepting New Patients:Y

Rating: 5.0 out of 5 (5 is best), based on 22 reviews. Dr. William J. Purkert has an excellent overall rating on RateMDs.com. smile

New! - Questions and answers about this doctor

Q: how many parathyroidectomies do you perform?    Email me    Answer it

Surgeon (general)-related: microsurgery, general surgery, trauma surgery, transplant surgery
The following ratings and comments have not been substantiated by RateMDs.com.
Date Staff Punctual Helpful Knowledge Review Comments

05/02/14 SYSTEM: 'birds of a feather' score (based on Medicare patients-in-common): 3.8

20/10/13 SYSTEM: First Name changed from "William" to "William J."
RID: 2523687
07/01/13 5 5 5 5 Like so many others, I was overwhelmed by the kindness, compassion, and thoughtfulness of Dr. Purkert. He explained in detail my surgery, but did so in plain, understandable terms. I had a subcutaneous mastectomy. Because this is not common for males, Dr. Purkert gave me a great deal of detail on the physiology involved. He was also kind to my wife, who waited for me through the surgery. Just top notch!!
RID: 2520482
03/01/13 5 5 5 5 I am scheudled to meet with Dr Purkert on January 25th and I am so happy I found this website, it has decreased my stress level some and I am happy to know that he has done so many surgeries and is liked by so many.
RID: 2332502
07/07/12 5 5 5 5 Previous comment says Dr. Purkert retired. HE HAS NOT. He is a wonderful doctor, very caring and concerned for his patients.  Respond
RID: 2158984
23/05/12 5 5 5 5 He was excellent in every way in his treatment of my colon cancer surgery and followup. Too bad he has retired. He listened, was upfront about options and was extremely knowledgeable! Most of all he was compassionate and caring.
RID: 1726259
01/03/12 5 5 5 5 Just to say that Dr. Purkert performed gallbladder surgery on my Mom several years ago, and was the NICEST, KINDEST, MOST SKILLED and WONDERFULLY COMPETENT doctor we could have hoped to find! He explained everything in layman's terms, had infinite patience with questions even from family members, and communicated complicated medical information in a kind and caring way. After her successful gallbladder surgery, my Mom went on to have a heart valve replacement by Dr. Edward Lefrak, also at Fairfax Hospital, who was as arrogant and awful as Dr. Purkert was kind. Both skilled surgeons, but what a difference in manner and effect on their patients. I'd NEVER want Dr. Lefrak to do a blessed thing for myself or anyone I loved. But Dr. Purkert is a "ten" in every way. Apologies for not rating him sooner!
Insurance: Medicare
RID: 1680845
09/01/12 5 5 5 5 Just had a thyroidectomy for papillary carcinoma with Dr. Purkert. The Doctor was recommended by several doctors and previous patients. I echo all their approvals and the other reviews below. Personable, great patience and knowledgeable. His opening appt. is unlike any I've ever had in a Doctor's office.
RID: 1669936
27/12/11 5 5 5 5 excellent surgeon.helpful,skilled and extremely pleasant.explained the procedure in detail but in simple terms.
Insurance: Medicare
RID: 1640476
21/11/11 5 4 5 5 The best there is. If youever have to wait it is because another patient needs his time. He will never rush you, even if he is running behind. On top of being a caring human being, who is on top of everything, he is an excellent surgeon. I recently had a lumpectomy and it looks as if the scarring will be minimal. He answered all of my questions, told me how the proceedure would go and visited before the surgery. Also has a wonderful sense of humor. You can't go wrong with Dr. P.
Insurance: Anthem
RID: 1536468
13/09/11 5 5 5 5 There just aren't enough wonderful things to say about Dr. Purkert. He is a wonderful but more importantly, a nice person. He goes above and beyond the typical doctor approach to surgery and puts others first throughout the process, making the entire experience as good as possible. He is by far the best doctor you will ever come across. Thanks!
RID: 1488751
17/07/11 5 5 5 5 BEST SURGEON EVER!!! WISH ALL DOCTORS POSSESSED HIS PROFESSIONALISM, COURTESY,KNOWLEDGE,COMPETENCE, INTEGRITY,&OVERALL OUTSTANDING EXCELLENCE!He should be yours & anyone else's surgeon especially if it has to do with a thyroidectamy. I was diagnosed with thryoid cancer & was in shock & total denial. We met Dr. Purkert who eased my mind after just talking to him for only 5 minutes into our meeting. He took the time to explain everything in detail from the type of cancer, to the procedure, the what if's, & the fears & concerns of what could go wrong. My husband & I had a list of about 15 questions of which he had answered even before we had asked. Whether it was 100% confirmed of my cancer, I knew that if he were to perform my surgery I would be in the best hands. In fact, even before going into the meeting I did my background research & not only would everyone I talked to with this experience recommend him but also there were no negative remarks about him & his practice to be found.
See Responses
RID: 1441275
15/05/11 5 4 5 5 I have never had such a good experience with a doctor and I would recommend Dr. Purkert to ANY loved one or friend. He took time to explain everything about my procedure and answered all of my questions before I even asked him. This is why he sometimes runs late. It took me awhile in the waiting room, but his assistant Arsi explained to me that he was helping another patient who was having a hard time. He truly cares about his patients like no other doctor I have seen, I will wait for that any day! When I saw him I was thought to have thyroid cancer and was looking at having a thyroidectomy. Honestly, I was scared to death. He made me feel very confident about the procedure and I knew I was in the best hands. He does about 6 of thes surgeries each week, no other doctor in the area has his level of experience. It turned out to be a benign parathyroid tumor. After 4 weeks people don't even notice the scar, amazing! He is a wonderful, caring doctor and still very humble.
Insurance: United Healthcare
RID: 1387246
14/03/11 5 5 5 5 the best surgeon i had ever had very knowledgeable very pleasant talks nice to patients  Respond
RID: 1155639
23/04/10 5 5 5 5 He was SO extremely caring, very thorough and took as much time as I needed for him to explain all the implications of this to me. I've never met a doctor in my life (and I've seen MANY doctors) who cared so genuinely about his patients. I had a couple serious complications after my surgery (first a blood clot, which I was put on blood thinners for) and then a hematoma (due to being on blood thinners so soon after surgery). Dr. Purkert was there with me through the whole ordeal, working me in on their lunch hour just to be sure the stitches and everything were healing fine. He even met my husband and I a couple times after-hours when the office was closed, since some days he is in the hospital for surgeries all day. We never asked him to do this, he always volunteered. And I was never, ever rushed - he never seemed to be in a hurry like so many doctors, and always thoroughly answered any questions I had. I feel like I owe my life to this doctor. Or at least my sanity during that time.
RID: 1129006
16/03/10 5 4 5 5 Dr. Purkert is kind, gentle, caring and takes his time to be certain you understand every detail of what is going to happen. He does not rush through and genuinely cares for you as a person. The best!  Respond
RID: 1048952
03/12/09 5 3 5 5 Dr. Purkert is wonderful. Incredible bedside manner. He removed one lobe of my thyroid, I was off pain meds the same day, and he did a great job with the incision. He is extremely kind, takes plenty of time to explain everything, and is highly recommended by other docs.  Respond
RID: 992482
21/09/09 5 5 5 5 Dr. Purkert is excellent on all counts. He and his staff were incredibly patient with my long list of questions as well as my nerves before my procedure, and they endeavored to make a scary event go smoothly and safely.  Respond
RID: 793701
18/02/09 5 5 5 5 I have known Dr Purkert for many many years. He has performed numerous surgeries on me including complete thyroidectomy, partial parathyroidectomy, breast biopsy and numerous others. I wouldn't have anyone else. He not only is my surgeon but I consider him a very dear friend now and I need him in my life when I am in medical trouble. If you want the best, go to him. God Bless Him. We need more like him.
RID: 776637
29/01/09 4 4 5 5 Amazing doctor, and willing to go out of his way to help his patients. I would never go to another surgeon.
RID: 679515
05/09/08 5 4 5 5 Dr. Purkert did my total thyroidectomy 10 days ago. I whole-heartedly recommend Dr. Purkert for thyroid surgeries. He’s the best doctor I’ve met in years – very experienced and really caring about his patients. He was recommended by my FNA radiologist who toldme I had papillary thyroid cancer. He was also recommended by my PCP who recently had sent a couple of patients to Dr. Purkert for thyroid surgeries and all had very good results. During my stay in the hospital (Inova Fairfax), the charge nurse was telling me that Dr. Purkert is very experienced and is wonderful with the nurses and with his patients. My personal experience with Dr. Purkert demonstrates the same. He was understanding and reassuring during my pre- and post- surgery visits to his office, just before the surgery, and during his 2 visits to me during my 4-day stay in the hospital after the surgery for treating my low blood calcium condition. His physician assistance Christine and his office staff were very helpful.
RID: 352392
23/06/07 4 5 5 Dr Purkert is so perfect - unlike any doctor I've ever been to. He takes the time with EACH patient to answer all patients' questions and to make sure you really understand what is going on. I saw him pre-op in the office, pre-surgery, during emergency room treatment, and post office office visit. Each time, he made me feel at ease (I was very nervous!) and made sure I understood what was going on. I cannot recommend him enough. His office staff was also especially helpful. This doctor is what all other doctors should aspire to!
Insurance: United Healthcare
RID: 122687
01/02/07 5 5 5 Dr. Purkert takes a conservative approach and doesn't rush into performing surgery. I was very impressed with how thorough he was in reviewing all test results and alternative courses of action before recommending surgery. He was very caring and wonderful to work deal with.
Insurance: Anthem
RID: 30422
17/05/06 5 5 5 doctor who knows his expertise and if needed i would go to him again.  Respond
* - Rating left by a registered user