Rate Dr. James G. Norman

Dr. James G. Norman's Ratings

Dr. Norman and his staff doctors Politz and Lopez took excellent care of me. I am DeafBlind. Most doctors feel that I should be ignored and not worth the time spent to help me. Dr. Politz and the staff there at Norman Parathyroid Center were extremely caring and worked hard to understand how to help me understand and feel safe during my procedure. Other doctors had refused to accept that I had any problems with my parathyroid. One endocrinologist where I lived did and tried to get a surgeon to take my case. They refused because I supposedly cannot communicate well enough being DeafBlind. Dr. Gatchair-Rose sent me to Tampa, FL to Dr. Norman's center. It was the best thing that ever happened. I was treated like a person and they found 2 large tumors and removed them easily and with little pain. I felt safe, and I trusted them because they made it easy.

Submitted Aug. 29, 2014 | flag

I, too, am someone who does not normally take the time to review a doctor, but given my recent surgery experience at TBGH with Dr. Norman, I felt compelled to write. Five years ago, I made the mistake of staying close to home in seeking a surgeon for a minimally invasive parathyroidectomy. Despite the fact that I lived in Houston with world-renowned medical care, I went to Dallas for that first surgery. I again showed symptoms of parathyroid disease just 2 years after that surgery, but my endocrinologist kept telling me that the parathyroid scans were negative for tumors. After telling me to wait yet another year, I sought a second opinion. I was told that I needed surgery. This time I wasn't taking any chances. I contacted the Norman Endocrine Surgery Clinic for a consultation, and Dr. Norman agreed to take my case. I have just returned from surgery in Tampa. Not only did Dr. Norman remove a second tumor from my parathyroid, he removed the remnants of that first tumor from 5 years ago that the Dallas surgeon missed. In between that first parathyroid surgery five years ago and this most recent surgery, I have been diagnosed with osteopenia, degenerative disc disease, and have had cervical herniated discs C4, C5, and C6 replaced. I can't help but believe that had Dr. Norman performed that first parathyroid surgery in 2009, I would have been cured and in a lot better skeletal health today. Don't settle for anyone less than the best when it comes to parathyroid disease--the Norman Parathyroid Center in Tampa. It is definitely worth the trip!

Submitted Aug. 15, 2014 | flag

In June 2014, I traveled from Texas to Tampa, FL for parathyroid surgery performed by Dr. Norman and am so glad I made that decision. Dr. Norman and Dr. Politz assured me I would be CURED of hyperparathyroidism when I left, and I was. This was my second surgery, having had a failed surgery locally. The local surgeon professed to be a specialist in parathyroid surgery but he was anything but that. At this point, I am not even sure he was present during my local surgery because records indicate a Resident probably performed my first surgery! That won't happen at the Norman Parathyroid Center. Every surgery at the NPC is performed by the most experienced parathyroid surgeons in the country. I think everyone owes it to themselves to travel to the NPC in Tampa. Results at the hands of an unskilled surgeon can be life-changing. It is far better to seek out the most skilled surgeon in the country for this delicate surgery and, in my opinion, such surgeons can only be found in Tampa. Regardless of where you live, it is definitely worth the trip!!

Submitted Aug. 10, 2014 | flag

I have been conducting research in a top school of medicine in CA for 20+ years and have had numerous experiences with MDs over the years. None has been as efficient, yet personal and caring with the extensive professional competence of the physicians and staff as that encountered at the Norman Parathyroid Center with Dr. Jim Norman. His diagnostic accuracy and surgical proficiency were phenomenal. For at least 12 years, I had been on a "watch-and-wait" schedule after each abnormal calcium and PTH lab test while becoming more and more symptomatic. With the purchase of the Calcium Pro app offered by the Norman Parathyroid Center, I quickly knew the etiology of my prolonged, increasingly serious and debilitating symptoms. Once diagnosed, I would advise all to go immediately to Tampa and Dr. Norman to have your parathyroid adenoma removed by the most experienced and competent physician in this field. I was a 'self-pay' as my insurance refused to cover this surgery out of network.

Submitted July 20, 2014 | flag

Dr. Norman is expert in his field. When other doctors could not figure out what was wrong, and after a failed surgery at home, I flew to Tampa for surgery. Dr. Norman and Dr. Politz found the parathyroid adenoma and removed it in a simple, short operation. I am forever grateful. I found Dr. Norman's approach and practice to run smoothly. While they perform >10 surgeries per day, I was treated as an individual and got all the attention I needed. From the first registration on their website through post-operative care, everything was smooth and all the people involved were caring, friendly people who truly want to help.

Submitted July 3, 2014 | flag

Canceled my appointment with a local surgeon and instead went to the Norman Parathyroid Center. Got back two days ago and have no doubt I made the right decision. Dr. Norman and Dr. Lopez found two parathyroid tumors and removed them both in a half hour. I doubt my local surgeon in NJ would have found that second hidden tumor, which would have resulted in a second operation! Meeting with Dr. Norman before the procedure showed me he genuinely cares about educating and curing his patients and that's all he does. Why would anyone go somewhere else, when Dr. Norman invented the procedures used by less experienced surgeons who have much lower success rates? I am so glad I canceled my appointment here with the New Jersey surgeon and made that two-day trip to Tampa. I know I had my parathyroid surgery by the premier expert in the country and would strongly recommend Dr. Norman to anyone with parathyroid disease. Why take a chance on something so important?

Submitted June 20, 2014 | flag

Thank God for the team at the Norman Parathyroid Center!!! I'm from Toronto, Canada and I had no idea my parathyroid mass would be complicated until after I woke up from surgery. The inexperienced doctors here (who all claimed to be experts) made a mess of my case by doing biopsy (4 needles!) on a parathyroid cyst, which they had incorrectly diagnosed as thyroid cysts. The biopsies made the fluid from the parathyroid mass leak around the thyroid and vocal cord nerve and created a larger mass which turned a straight forward MIRP surgery into microscopic surgery, which took longer, and was much more complicated. (If you have a parathyroid problem, don't get any biopsies!!!) Dr. Norman and Dr. Politz did an amazing job removing the mass intact and did not damage my vocal cord nerve. I can still speak!!! (Dr. Norman was worried that I may not be able to speak again.) I am very lucky I went to Tampa. Thanks to all the good people at NPC and TGH who took care of me like Family. Pray you fall into good hands, and choose your Surgeon wisely. God Bless.

Submitted May 24, 2014 | flag

My wife recently had surgery at the Norman Parathyroid Center (NPC) at the Tampa General Hospital (TGH) in Tampa FL to treat hyperparathyroidism. Our dealings with Dr. Norman and the NPC have been wonderful since we first sought them out , following an earlier unsuccessful procedure done elsewhere, prior to our introduction to the NPC. He took the time to comfortably & concisely explain all points related to this condition including how it came to be and more importantly , how it needs to be treated. He was present before, during, and after the procedure and then called later in later in the day to check on her and assured her of success ! We have nothing but praise for Dr. Norman , the staff at the NPC and the staff at the TGH. The only thing we would have done differently , had we known , was to have come to the NPC in the first place. Thank You Dr. Norman and the staff at the NPC and the staff at the TGH. 5-stars all the way ! Insurance: Medicare

Submitted May 20, 2014 | flag

Dr. Norman is a genius. He has dedicated his life to understanding this one disease and therefore saves lives that would otherwise waste away. I only wish I had found him a decade earlier. All endocrinologists should be required to learn from his accumulative knowledge!

Submitted April 25, 2014 | flag

I had a parathyroidectomy done by Dr. Norman in February of this year. I started feeling the good effects of the surgery about 6 weeks after the surgery. The staff at the surgery center took excellent care of me. I wish all of my customer service experiences were like this one! The anesthetist stopped by as well as the nurse anesthetist. Dr. Norman spent time visiting with me before the surgery and talked about what was going to happen to make sure I understood. Dr. Lopez called the evening after the surgery to make sure that I understood how much calcium to take and on what schedule. This team has their stuff together - and yet they make all patients feel like the most important patient.

Submitted April 22, 2014 | flag