You may also like

Rate Dr. Richard K. Ryu

Dr. Richard K. Ryu's Ratings

If you want a friend get a puppy. If you want the pain to go away and have your shoulder feel like new again go to Dr. Ryu. I too had a hard time at first with him until I realized he was just a perfectionist that takes his job and his practice seriously. If you want perfection seek a perfectionist if you want your hand held see a Therapist.

Dealing with Ryu is simple.
1. Don't be late. Ever. Show up a little before your appt and you will glide through. Show up late , pack a lunch its going to be a while.
2. Don't ask stupid questions. It may be new to you but imagine answering the same ignorant questions about the same joint every 30 minutes all day every day. If your shoulder hurts look up how the shoulder works on WebMD before your appt. If you have good questions he will answer politely and professionally.
3. Take him, his staff, yourself and your recovery seriously. A great chef does not want to see you put ketchup all over their cuisine.

Do these things and you will find a warm kind healer with an amazing talent to bring you back to 100%. I know because I am living proof after my over 1cm rotator cuff tear. I cannot see the incisions and my right arm is better than my uninjured left.
Thanks Dr. Ryu you are the best.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2758400].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 26, 2015

had 2 ACL surgery on both knees I am so thankful to Ryu.you wanna get better so just be quite and let him do the work.Trust him follow his clear instructions.4 months after surgery I was able to play soccer.Thanks again doctor Ryu

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2717318].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 11, 2015

Dr ryu is a short tempered person and rude. He is the type of person he is right and you are wrong in anything. If you do miss cancel your appointment the day of because you got sick or emergency he does penalize you and they lie to you that he is busy and puts you out for waisting his time!

Was this rating useful? 2 [[ userState['ratings'][2710305].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 5, 2015

Dr. Ryu spent about two minutes examining me for my shoulder pain and then rushed me out of his office. He seemed to have much more important things to do. His demeanor was apathetic at best. I agree with many of the reviewers here. He likes to make his patients feel stupid. Avoid.

Was this rating useful? 3 [[ userState['ratings'][2693907].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 22, 2015

I would recommend Dr. Ryu for the fact that he is very knowledgable on shoulder surgery. He explained everything before hand very well, answered my questions and respected me for my time. In other words there was no long waiting time in the waiting room. Also on surgery day, everything went way smoother than I thought. Follow up directions were excellent and although I didn't expect to have after surgery physical therapy, I see in hindsight how helpful it was to recover quicker. A big thank you to Dr. Ryu, all his staff and the Summit Surgery Center!

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2587288].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 21, 2014

I had knee surgery to replace an ACL. Dr. Ryu apparently damaged the Sciatic nerve or did something that caused damage to the nerve. Almost two years later I still have severe, frequent shooting pains that travel up and down my leg, just above my ankle to the vicinity of my butt. Dr. Ryu disavowed all responsibility. I never had Sciatica or any similar condition before my accident; never experience this kind of pain during the nearly three months following my accident and leading up to the surgery, but soon after the surgery I started having these pains in my leg. In addition, the area to the right of my knee is completely numb. Both of these conditions are the result of the surgery performed by Dr. Ryu. Because of him, I have what now appears to be a permanent disability. Dr. Ryu has a very poor bedside manner. He treats his patients as if they are morons and he is some kind of genius. Please take my advice and find another doctor.

Was this rating useful? 4 [[ userState['ratings'][2461451].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 9, 2014

Dr. Ryu is the best! I didn't experience anything negative. Dr. Ryu is excellent surgeon and during office visits were straight to the point. Before the surgery he took time to come and talk with me and assure me everything will go well (as it sure did)! First of all I am fighter and dislocated my shoulder completely (1cm tear). Dr. Ryu immediately recommended surgery. The procedure and recovery was easy and painless (there was a little bit of discomfort, but no biggie). Dr. Ryu had me visit him every 2 weeks for the following 6 months where he took the time to check my range of motion and give me new exercises to recover my strength. I had fun doing the exercises and now 7 months later I am stronger than I ever have been before! I am back in training again, the shoulder is doing really well and I have gained 6 pounds of muscle in last two months without any issues! If you are an athlete and need shoulder surgery have no fear go for Dr. Ryu!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2018021].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 24, 2014

Still early in my recovery from shoulder surgery (typing with one hand!), but I have two observations about Dr. Ryu: First, he is probably the best surgeon that you will find to do a shoulder procedure. He gave me some video clips of the surgery from the arthroscope and I was shocked at how fast he was able to tie the sutras, especially compared to the other videos I've seen online. Removing the bandages after two weeks, I was almost unable to locate one of the incision points. Second, he is very brief in his appointments – he diagnosed my tear in about 10 minutes (MRI and arthroscope showed that he was correct). I like more explicit instructions, and if you don't know what to ask, he won't tell you – so read up a little on your own, and go prepared with questions when you meet with him. He is straightforward and skilled in what he does – shoulder surgery. But he won't walk you through things, and his office visits are quite curt.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2018020].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 25, 2013

I have had a shoulder and recently a reconstructd knee with Dr. Ryu over the last 13 years. I have observed NONE of the negative situations mentioned. I have found him very concerned, informative and c,ourteous. He is prompt so be there a couple minutes early. Its a big thing with him that you don't wait. He doesn't tend to spend much time with you, as he has reviewed your films and simply gives gives you your options. I don't believe you can do better anywhere in the country! Also, your surgery will be ontime. His nurses and anethesioligist are obviously held to a very high standard. Jim W.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2018019].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 29, 2011

I had a very poor experience with Dr Ryu. When in the office he appeared to be short tempered or frustrated when asked to explain anything. I went in for a PCL construction and was shocked to awake with a reconstructed LCL and moved popletius. My PCL untouched by the surgery still had grade 3 laxity. This surgery was disastrous for the next seven years of my life. I just had the PCL done again by a PCL specialist and was informed my popletius was completely detached which raises serious questions. Dr Ryu, should refer patients to qualified specialist as opposed to aborting surgeries mid operation. So I was charged for a needless surgery and informed about things we already knew from the MRI. Terrible experience with this doctor.

Was this rating useful? 4 [[ userState['ratings'][2018022].votes_count ]]