Rate Dr. Richard K. Ryu

Dr. Richard K. Ryu's Ratings

I had knee surgery to replace an ACL. Dr. Ryu apparently damaged the Sciatic nerve or did something that caused damage to the nerve. Almost two years later I still have severe, frequent shooting pains that travel up and down my leg, just above my ankle to the vicinity of my butt. Dr. Ryu disavowed all responsibility. I never had Sciatica or any similar condition before my accident; never experience this kind of pain during the nearly three months following my accident and leading up to the surgery, but soon after the surgery I started having these pains in my leg. In addition, the area to the right of my knee is completely numb. Both of these conditions are the result of the surgery performed by Dr. Ryu. Because of him, I have what now appears to be a permanent disability. Dr. Ryu has a very poor bedside manner. He treats his patients as if they are morons and he is some kind of genius. Please take my advice and find another doctor.

Submitted May 9, 2014 | flag

Dr. Ryu is the best! I didn't experience anything negative. Dr. Ryu is excellent surgeon and during office visits were straight to the point. Before the surgery he took time to come and talk with me and assure me everything will go well (as it sure did)! First of all I am fighter and dislocated my shoulder completely (1cm tear). Dr. Ryu immediately recommended surgery. The procedure and recovery was easy and painless (there was a little bit of discomfort, but no biggie). Dr. Ryu had me visit him every 2 weeks for the following 6 months where he took the time to check my range of motion and give me new exercises to recover my strength. I had fun doing the exercises and now 7 months later I am stronger than I ever have been before! I am back in training again, the shoulder is doing really well and I have gained 6 pounds of muscle in last two months without any issues! If you are an athlete and need shoulder surgery have no fear go for Dr. Ryu!

Submitted Jan. 24, 2014 | flag

Still early in my recovery from shoulder surgery (typing with one hand!), but I have two observations about Dr. Ryu: First, he is probably the best surgeon that you will find to do a shoulder procedure. He gave me some video clips of the surgery from the arthroscope and I was shocked at how fast he was able to tie the sutras, especially compared to the other videos I've seen online. Removing the bandages after two weeks, I was almost unable to locate one of the incision points. Second, he is very brief in his appointments – he diagnosed my tear in about 10 minutes (MRI and arthroscope showed that he was correct). I like more explicit instructions, and if you don't know what to ask, he won't tell you – so read up a little on your own, and go prepared with questions when you meet with him. He is straightforward and skilled in what he does – shoulder surgery. But he won't walk you through things, and his office visits are quite curt.

Submitted Dec. 25, 2013 | flag

I have had a shoulder and recently a reconstructd knee with Dr. Ryu over the last 13 years. I have observed NONE of the negative situations mentioned. I have found him very concerned, informative and c,ourteous. He is prompt so be there a couple minutes early. Its a big thing with him that you don't wait. He doesn't tend to spend much time with you, as he has reviewed your films and simply gives gives you your options. I don't believe you can do better anywhere in the country! Also, your surgery will be ontime. His nurses and anethesioligist are obviously held to a very high standard. Jim W.

Submitted Aug. 29, 2011 | flag

I had a very poor experience with Dr Ryu. When in the office he appeared to be short tempered or frustrated when asked to explain anything. I went in for a PCL construction and was shocked to awake with a reconstructed LCL and moved popletius. My PCL untouched by the surgery still had grade 3 laxity. This surgery was disastrous for the next seven years of my life. I just had the PCL done again by a PCL specialist and was informed my popletius was completely detached which raises serious questions. Dr Ryu, should refer patients to qualified specialist as opposed to aborting surgeries mid operation. So I was charged for a needless surgery and informed about things we already knew from the MRI. Terrible experience with this doctor.

Submitted Aug. 18, 2011 | flag

I have a shoulder injury that causes me pain, but I walked out of his office. The man has a major chip on HIS shoulder. He was combative when I asked questions, then downright rude and insulting. Maybe he passed the medical bar, but he has failed in life IMO.

Submitted May 4, 2011 | flag

I'm so relieved to find other terrible reviews of Dr.Ryu here.When you mention his name everyone says he's the best. I was so excited to be referred to him. I was warned by my acupuncturist that he has bad bed side manners. When I came there he quickly examined my shoulder(1 min)and tells me that I need a MRI. I started to get teary eyed because he was so unfriendly and I do not have insurance.I asked if there was a alternative. He snapped on me and told me that I was a very angry and emotional person that has come to take my frustrations out on him and that he feels uncomfortable in his own office. It was very bizarre and kinda creepy. He repeated himself a few times and I just had to walk out. He didn't charge me. I called to make a complaint and the receptionist was very unprofessional..She said he is too busy and popular to take your complaint. Wow! maybe I should complain to the medical board. I'm finding out through some other docs that he has a bad rep in that manner

Submitted Dec. 12, 2010 | flag

I have seen several shoulder doctors in Santa Barbara at this point, and Dr. Ryu definitely inspired the most confidence, was the most professional, and was most conservative in terms of recommending surgery, all of which I liked. He really helped my shoulder recover on its own as much as possible. In the end I did need surgery, and because of insurance I had to go to someone else, which I regret. Talking to his patients in the physical therapy offices, it seems that they have better and faster recovery than people who went to other doctors. I think it is really worth going to him if you can. Shoulder surgery is serious and complex, and recovery can be awful - I wish I had realized what a difference it makes. Also, he was very friendly and professional, so I don't agree with some of the reviews here. In any case, you want a good surgeon, not a best friend.

Submitted Sept. 21, 2010 | flag

Dr Ryu spent less than 2 minutes in the exam room with me. He became extremely agitated when I asked him any questions. After I pressed me for answers, he declared that I was disrespectful and said that "we" could not work together. He told me there would be "no charge" for the multiple x-rays he took of my knee. Very bizarre experience. He accused me of calling him a "narcissist," and told me to find another doctor. Will do !!!!!!!!!

Submitted July 28, 2010 | flag

Dr. Ryu did my ACL surgery and was excellent. I went to 3 doctors who all gave me a different prognosis that I didn't believe until I saw Dr. Ryu. He immediately knew what the problem was and how to fix it. It was a standard ACL tear, but I was very confident in his abilities and my scars are the smallest and least intrusive of all my friends who have also gotten the surgery. I would recommend Dr. Ryu to anyone!

Submitted July 27, 2010 | flag