Dr. David T. Butler

Grad. Year: 1986

Answers Email: N
Online Appt. Scheduling: N
Accepting New Patients:Y

Profile updated 05/07/12    Submit profile update    Subscribe to profile updates

Rating: 3.1 out of 5 (5 is best), based on 18 reviews. Dr. David T. Butler has a fair overall rating on RateMDs.com. neutral

New! - Questions and answers about this doctor

The following ratings and comments have not been substantiated by RateMDs.com.
Date Staff Punctual Helpful Knowledge Review Comments
RID: 2710628
16/07/13 4 1 1 1 I was a patient of Doctor Butlers for years, would only give me prescriptions I had to come in for the doctors visit every single month to refill, only send my prescription to his buddies pharmacy. I would tell him somethings wrong with me and got misdiagnosed several times. Literally had to search on line for my symptoms, tell him what I had found and he would tell me I wasn't a doctor, but both times I was right. Very dissatisfied. His odd comments to my daughters were also highly offensive as well as some other things I cannot post at this time.
RID: 2600711
26/03/13 5 5 5 5 I have been a patient of Dr. Butler for the past 4 yrs. The staff are polite, and helpful. He always listens to me, and makes his decisions after we have discussed the problem.I had 2 very large areas with an abscess at each location. Dr. Butler met me at his office 5 days in row to drain and pack them. 2 of the days were on a weekend and one was a holiday, when the office was closed. Because Dr Butler was willing to come to the office on the weekend and a holiday I did not have to be admitted to the hospital. The areas had to be medically treated if not in his office it would have had to be done at the hospital. It is my opinion that he is a dedicated, caring person.
Insurance: Humana
RID: 1676874
04/01/12 5 5 5 5 Dr. Butler and his wife are a very good team! I am really surpried at the negative reviews here. Now I haven't went to him since 2009, but he was definitly good then. His wife went above and beyond for me in getting me into the spine specialist I desired to see. She contacted my insurance numerous times sending referrals to this specialist. I have very complex back issues. She described in great detail to my insurance why I would benefit from seeing this specialist. She followed up with me every time. Dr. Butler has even stayed after hours to see me when I was on my way home from work. I had called them on my way home and they said they would be there waiting for me. Never do doctors do this for patients. Now he will require to see you every time... he doesn't just take your word for what you think is wrong with you. His walls are cluttered however with silly stuff. I wouldn't call him the best of the best, but he is a good doctor. Thank you for helping me so much Dr. Butler and Julie.
RID: 1663129
16/12/11 5 5 5 5 Dr.Butler has been my gp for over 5 years. I have NEVER had an issue with his staff or Dr. B himself. He is very punctual and knowledgable. He even calls me up personally to check in and update me on labs/tests. As far as the complaints i have read, i dont think people understand Dr.B stance? First, if someone knows their body better than the doctor why go to him? Unless he didnt pander to your idea of the drugs you were seeking? hmm? Or maybe he is a ETHICAL doctor and isnt willing to prescribe a drug you dont need! I also saw a comment that said he wouldnt do two procedures at one time? Simply ask yourself the same question, would you do twice the amount of work/research for the pay of one job? I think not! Plus the insurance will pay for the least procedure! Lastly the pharmacy that Dr. B recommends is and independent and local business. Its not a HUGE CORP. The owner helps out by comping those in need at NO COST whatsoever. If you realized HE has YOU in his best interest. thx DR!
RID: 1661375
14/12/11 3 3 1 1 I really hate this guy. He's my primary care manager ( and I'm switching). He'll only let you use his friends pharmacy which isn't convenient for me but he doesn't care. Also I can't get this guy to give me a referral for ANYTHING. I'm pregnant and he thinks since it's my 2nd baby I don't need an OB until later unless something goes wrong. The problem is im high risk this time around and i want to go ASAP. He just chuckles at me like I'm being childish. He actually said "I just don't think that's a good use of your insurrances money. He also speaks very very poorly of other doctors and practices. I honestly think he wont refer me because. Want to go see a Scott and white dr (where I had baby #1). I hate feeling like I have to get permission for everything and I feel so belittled every time I visit him.
Respond

25/05/11 SYSTEM: 2 negative duplicate or disallowed ratings automatically removed
RID: 1444407
18/05/11 2 2 1 1 1st time to meet dr. was for my childs well exam. He ordered blood wk on a 9 year old. When questioned, he said it was routine which I found hard to believe cause none of our past drs. had ever requested blood wk. Within a 1 yr. timeframe, he ordered 6 blood wks on me. When questioned, he said that the ins. co. would only pay him for the visits if he requested blood wk. I told him that I had been told in the past that I was hypoglycemia & he said that he didn't believe in it. Came to see him cause I was tired all the time, he told me I was depressed cause husband was away for a month on business. Had me take a written test to prove that I was or wasn't which showed that I wasn't. Will only write prescriptions for 6 months at a time & then wanted me to use his buddy's pharmacy to fill it. My ins. co. requests that we use our mail order for our daily prescriptions & dr. didn't want to hear about it. Dr. talked down to my child when he would ask questions.
RID: 1424444
25/04/11 3 3 3 4 Exactly as one other desrcibed. Dr Butler is about getting paid. I had 2 examples where he wanted multiple office visits to get paid. 1 was for the removal of 2 moles. He would not do both in the same visit becuase in his words I quote "insurance companies would only allow me to bill for 1 removal". The 2nd was when I went in for a sleep problem. He sent me to the sleep clinic but would not have them see if sleep apnea machine helped on the first visit becuase he would only get one consultation.
Insurance: Aetna
Paid (or co-pay): $20
RID: 1219796
01/08/10 3 2 2 2 I'm not very happy with this doctor. I have gone to his office three times in the past two years and have been quite unsatisfied. The wait time is the worst, even if I have an appointment. Its very inconvenient to have a two hour doctor's appointment when only 30 minutes of that is the actual consult/exam. The first visit I went for was a women's exam and Dr. Butler was making weird comical comments while performing it, which was very uncomfortable. The consultation made me feel stupid, as he would quickly throw out any concerns I had and would have an all-around smugness about him when I asked a question. I understand I am not a diagnostic professional, but my mother is and I would like to be treated on the level since it is MY BODY and I might have some intuition that he does not. Billing is sketchy, I believe I've overpaid for many routine visits. I don't get the care I deserve, so I will be changing docs soon.
Insurance: Aetna
RID: 1189575
15/06/10 3 3 2 2 Either has a bad billing service, or just incredibly greedy. I paid $198 out of pocket for my first visit. They told me I was paying the full balance (which was my intention)...then they had the nerve to bill another $220 for that single visit (just a checkup!). Schedules as many visits as possible, even just to tell you to bring more paperwork (and you will be charged). Each visit since then had been $100, and I am absolutely afraid of when the rest of those bills will come. Refuses to disclose pricing up-front. I was a fool to trust him, please learn from my mistake.  Respond
RID: 1179448
30/05/10 5 5 5 5 I am very happy to have Dr. Butler as my doctor. He is very knowledgeble and caring. His wife Julie is the Nurse and Office manager. She is very knowledgeble as well, and a lovely person. I can always call her for any questions and concerns. I had some very embarassing problems, and they were so nice to me, never treating me like a stupid, disgusting person. That is something I really appreciate about them.
RID: 1104182
11/02/10 1 1 1 1 I have been a patient of Dr. Butler for more than a year. I had 6-7 visits during that time. This was the worst doctor I ever had, I always had to wait even if I had an appointment, never seen on time. They have taken blood for lab and wasted it twice so I had to go three times for a simple lab test. One time, he told me its OK to visit him if I feel light-headed after he prescribed a higher dose blood pressure medicine. I stopped by his office, I had to pay regular visit fee and my insurance was billed a hefty amount. Over the course of last month, I had my pharmacy faxing them several times to confirm for blood pressure medicine refill never responded back and doctors office never cared if I was running out of medicine. Last, I decided to change doctors and for sending my medical records they charged me a $25 document fee. I am not sure if this is a common practice, I never heard that fee before.  Respond
RID: 1000304
01/10/09 1 1 1 1 Dr Butler is all about "dave", and getting paid. He will schedule you to come back over and over, even to write a script, (though he is writing others at the current visit) just to get in another office visit. He has a select group of "buddies" he uses for referrels as well, and only "them". I switched my PCM to Dr Kimberly Warfield, and could not be happier!!!
RID: 818957
07/03/09 5 4 5 5 I have been a patient with Dr. Butler for years. He's always been the consummate professional and at times has squeezed in a slot in the last minute. He's very knowledgable, has a friendly staff and will call you back to check in on you.
Insurance: United Healthcare
RID: 785222
09/02/09 5 4 5 5 Down to earth, easy-going, and knowledgeable. Everyone is always friendly. Always seems interested in what's going on in my life, and makes you feel very comfortable. A pleasure to go...which is rare.
Paid (or co-pay): $25
RID: 517101
18/02/08 3 3 2 3 I came to see Dr. Butler because I needed a local Austin doctor to follow up with my blood pressure. I wanted to find a Dr. who would start me on track with guidelines for a healthy lifestyle so I could reduce my chance of stroke, heart disease, etc. I was shocked and unimpressed when he ignored my request for a diet and exercise plan to go along with the "new" prescription for blood pressure medicine that he had written. I asked several times, and he evaded the question each time. It appeared that he had no interest in anything other than writing a prescription and following up with office visits to check my blood pressure. Since I was already on an adequate blood pressure medicine that was controlling my bp I didn't see the need to change anything but doctors--which is what I did.
Insurance: CIGNA
RID: 479175
08/01/08 2 2 2 3 I wanted for over an hour and yet he did not tell me something new that i do not already know, what a waste of co-pay.. really wanted to walk out of the room. May be its the problem with the practice group, Austin regional Clinic at Cedar Park.
Insurance: United Healthcare
See Responses
RID: 477734
07/01/08 5 4 5 5 I have been a patient for several years. He has called me at work to follow-up to see how I was doing after a procedure and has shown to care about my issues. Very knowlegable and compasionate. Goes the extra mile to get us the right treatment. Highly recomend.
RID: 23524

23/02/06 1 1 4 If you have room in your exam room for Dr Dave, yourself and a whole lot of Jesus, then he's your man. "It's all in God's plan" = BS when I'm sick. Also, bring your co-pay. Because no matter how sick you are and how long you've been a patient they'll send you to an ATM. Finally, once, while I was sick as a dog they forgot I was there and left me in the waiting room for over an hour.  Respond