Dr. Paul K. Pickrell

Grad. Year: 1990

Answers Email: Unknown
Online Appt. Scheduling: Unknown
Accepting New Patients:Y

Rating: 4.5 out of 5 (5 is best), based on 17 reviews. Dr. Paul K. Pickrell has a good overall rating on RateMDs.com. smile

New! - Questions and answers about this doctor

Rheumatologist-related: rheumatic diseases, musculoskeletal problems, scleroderma, musculoskeletal pain, arthritis, systemic lupus erythematosus, polymyositis, Raynaud's phenomenon, vasculitis, connective tissue diseases, rheumatic fever
The following ratings and comments have not been substantiated by RateMDs.com.
Date Staff Punctual Helpful Knowledge Review Comments

22/07/14 SYSTEM: 'birds of a feather' score (based on Medicare patients-in-common): 2.9
RID: 5656332
16/07/14 2 1 2 3 I agree completely about the comments regarding the front staff being arrogant. I met with this Doctor 3 times trying to figure out my diagnosis. The last 2 times, I waited 1 hr and he only spent 5 minutes with me and still unable to make a diagnosis. Just gave me a prescription "to try" even though I had no diagnosis and zero information on what I should expect with this medication. From what I have talked to some of his patients, his specialty is RA and not very up to date with the latest of other auto-immune diseases.  Respond
RID: 5455425
08/05/14 4 4 5 5 Dr. Pickrell is a life saver! He is well informed, warm and very caring about his patients. His nurse, Delores, is like that as well. BUT, his front office person is horrible tho and I intend to tell him the next visit. She is rude and snotty to everyone. I can't imagine why in the world he would hire such a person but he needs to know. If you can overlook the front gal, he is worth the drive. He offers fantastic care with a great sense of humor. Because he takes his time with you there can be a lengthy wait time but he is worth it.
Insurance: United Healthcare
RID: 2699780
03/07/13 5 5 5 5 Rarely have I felt compelled to rate a doctor and staff especially after the first visit. However, my experience last week was the best one I have had with a doctor and staff in many years. He spent more time with me in one visit than any of my docs have in 4-5 appointments. Several docs sent him info on me and it was immediately obvious he had taken the time to go over my records before our first appt. That was impressive and really pleased me as my history is lengthy and can be confusing. The entire staff was professional and empathetic, I can think of no area needing improvement. Awaiting the results of numerous tests, I will update this at a later date and be more specific.
Insurance: Medicare
RID: 2696641
28/06/13 4 4 5 5 Dr. Pickerell has been a God send for me. He listens to me thoroughly and completely. Even if I'm just venting. LOL He describes every option very clearly and respects my decisions and what treatment path I choose. He has never tried to veer me in the path of the most profitable. At times I have had a little bit of a wait, but not often. I am usually in and out of the office with 45 min or so. The staff are usually talking about what they are going to eat for lunch, but will stop conversation to be attentative to patients' needs. I get my calls returned quickly and any paperwork needed by my employer is completed and returned quickly as well. I am sorry that there are some that claim to have had a negative encounter with him or his office staff, but I am super satisfied and would recommend him to all. I have to drive almost an hour to see him, but the experience is so worth it.  Respond
RID: 2577182
05/03/13 5 4 5 5 I am a registered nurse who first visited Dr. Pickrell 4 years ago. I am so very pleased with his mecical care. He is very knowledgeable, personable, displays integrity , and has a good sense of humor. I would recommend Dr. Pickrell to anyone who needs an excellent Rheumatologist. I am fortunate to have him as my physician. A.B. Smith, R.N.
Insurance: Humana
RID: 2565022
20/02/13 5 4 5 5 compassionate, friendly doctor who takes time to explain options thoroughly to patients. Whomever wrote that Dr Pickrell makes inappropriate remarks to female patients is simply engaged in character assassination and not telling the truth.
Insurance: BC Med
RID: 2563239

18/02/13 1 1 1 1 Dr. Pickrell is unprofessional and arrogant. He makes remarks to female patients that are inappropriate in a office setting and his staff is rude.  Respond
RID: 2563204

18/02/13 2 3 3 3 Lack of compassion in staff and in this doctor,. Their response to pain was poor.  Respond
RID: 2382104
23/07/12 5 4 5 5 I came to Dr. Pickrell from Dr. Tew's office. Dr. Pickrell took the time to talk to me about medications/issues etc... Dr. Tew just wanted to throw more drugs at me without really taking into consideration my problems. Dr. Pickrell listened to me and kept an open mind about trying new things and less serious drugs.
RID: 2160557
25/05/12 5 5 5 5 Dr Pickrell & staff are extremely knowledgeable and caring. They take the time to thoroughly exam and listen to you during each exam.
Insurance: United Healthcare
Respond

08/02/12 SYSTEM: 2 negative duplicate or disallowed ratings automatically removed
RID: 1521957
25/08/11 5 4 5 5 Dr. Pickrell is fantastic! My case was one where it looked like I had Lupus that came on really strongly at 1st, but then never flared up again. I came to Dr. Pickrell from Monty Tew's practice wanting a fresh view on my status and some honesty about what he thought might really be going on with me. Last time I saw Pickrell back in February of 2011, I had been off my Lupus meds since June 2009. He said I was a miracle patient and that he didn't want to see me back unless I have any more problems. He even wrote a note to my insurance provider stating that I have been free of symptoms and off my medication with no complications whatsoever. May not get me off their blacklist, but I appreciate that he really took the time to investigate my situation and justify my feelings that my diagnosis was very atypical to my non-existent symptoms. Thank you Dr. Pickrell!
Paid (or co-pay): $60
RID: 1401554
30/03/11 5 4 5 5 Dr Paul Pickrell is fabulous. He really speaks to me, his patient, not above me or around me. He listens to patients, takes approiate actions based on individual patient, and closely follows up when taking a new medication. He prescribed various medications and when the desired affect of a new medication did not work well, he went "up the chain of medications" until the "right" medication for me was found and is working well. He followed mandated insurance steps in prescribing (less costly medications), but now I am on one of the bio-engineered injection meds for rheumatoid arthritus. He has no problem dealing with the insurance company to justify the medication, regardless of the cost. I really have appreciated him over the 5 or so years I've been his patient, he is a very warm, kind, caring and soft-spoken person. Trust me, I had two previous doctors before him that I definitely did not feel comfortable with and did not like at all. His nurse, Delores, is also wonderful.
RID: 1320897
24/12/10 5 4 5 5 Dr. Paul Pickrell is a great doctor! He is kind and takes his time. He is honest and his staff is the same.
Insurance: Aetna
RID: 1290399
10/11/10 5 5 5 5 I give Dr. Pickrell the highest rating possible. I had been misdiagnosed by several doctors before I saw Dr. Pickrell. He has always been extremely professional and courteous. He is very good at explaining lab results and steps of treatment. I am extremely happy with Dr. Pickrell as my arthritis doctor.
Insurance: Humana
RID: 886134
13/05/09 5 5 5 5 Most awesome doc in town! I use him for referrals to other great docs too! He is very caring, personable and truly cares for his patients. He uses common sense too! Looks out for the interest of his patients regardless of what big insurance or pharma think! He rocks!
RID: 673936
26/08/08 5 5 5 5 I posted under Paul Pickrell's ratings and it posted under Michael Pickrell, Although he may be great as well. The third posting on Michaels rating was my comment. Anyway, PAUL pickrell is "THE" best doctor in my eyes that anyone could possibly ask for. He is kind, intelligent, and knowledgable. It doesn't matter whether my insurance covers him or not. I will gladly hand over the full amount rather than see a doctor that has no bed side manner!  Respond
RID: 627785
30/06/08 5 5 5 4 Listens, is interested, sharp, and helpful. Really liked that his cash price was closest to insurance price I've ever seen!  Respond
* - Rating left by a registered user