Rate Dr. Barry D. Birch

Dr. Barry D. Birch's Ratings

Arrogant, cold, rude, uninformative. only the hospital was worse. His assistant was more like a biker than a PA, feet up on the end of the bed, called to complain when an apointment was postpones. Hospital crimped the cath. line, the phone by the bed rang every hour on the hour no one would stop it. Require blood pressure and gulacoma med not given for many hours late. no rehab, instructions or arrangement made. Horrible pain, no concern shown, a couple of minutes in hospital room, could not have been worse expect by death

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][327710].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 12, 2014

The meter was running all the time and I felt rushed. There were attitudes by PA and doctor at times. He may be a brilliant surgeon but his compassioan and people skills are lacking. Maybe he had a bad day - but that is no excuse. This is neurosurgy not a pimple. He must spend time, at least more than five minutes. Never checked scar healing at last appointment. Just rush, rush, rush.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][327709].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 7, 2014

Dr. Birch is a terrific surgeon. He operated on me for severe sciatic painn in July, 2011 and I have been pain free ever since. He literally gave me my life back - I could barely walk more than 5 steps without severe pain. I tried for over 18 months all types of conservative methods from medication to shots to acupuncture to chiropractic care and nothing worked. Dr. Birch has a patient and kind bed side manner. I would recommend hims without hesitation - a great doctor.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][327712].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 4, 2013

I am a 64 year old hispanic male who has always been in relatively good health, very active and employed full time. I have had back problems which had been treated by several Dr's over the last 3 years, but got progressively worse. Early this year I was doagnosed with Spinal Stenosis, I sought out the best Nuerosurgeon in AZ and found by research that Dr. Barry Birch was at the top of that list. After one visit and o Cortasone injection (sport term relief), he suggested surgery. The minute I woke up I felt instant relief from the excruciating pain I had lived with on a daily basis for the last 6 months. I was up and walking around the neighborhood slowly for the first week, got out and around the second week and back at work by the 4th week. I feel so good I cannot remember when i felt this good. I am still taking care not to lift anything too heavy and watch what I do (taking things slower now). I owe my improved quality of life to Dr. Birch. I would travel as far as I had to see him.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][327708].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 15, 2013

Excellent Doctor and staff. After 7 years of pain and working with different spine center to no avail, contacted the Mayo and Dr. Birch as a last ditch effort. He saw the problem immediately (no one else could diagnose) did surgery and now 18 months later I am pain free, playing golf and living my life again.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][327707].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 1, 2011

Medicare and Blue Cross. After extensive research I consider Dr. Birch one of the top Neurosurgeons available today. My first visit to Dr. Birch was for Lumbar Back pain 5 years ago. He recommended against surgery. I followed his advice. In May 2011 I experienced severe leg and back pain (was disabled) x-rays determined severe degenerative disc disease together with spinal stenosis in my Lumbar Spine. I traveled 550 miles to see Dr. Birch. He shows a sincere interest in his patients and I trust him. On July 1, 2011 Dr. Birch fused my Lumbar Vertebra 2,3,4,&5. I am now on my 8th week post op and overall this has been a piece of cake. No more leg pain, driving after four weeks, stopped pain medication after four weeks (mainly took pain meds to sleep). I am 75 years old and I consider Mayo and Dr. Birch one of my better decisions in life. I am still in recovery but this experience has exceeded my expectations.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][327706].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 5, 2011

I had my neck surgery with Dr.Birch at one level. It has been 4 weeks today and I am so glad I had this surgery with Dr.Birch. Had one follow up and I am 80% better now and if you want the best, go see Dr Birch at the Mayo Clinic. Kind,understanding and mostly a great surgeon. Thanks to Dr.Barry Birch.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][327705].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 7, 2011

If you are ever in need of a Neurosurgeon please see the best. This doctor had the best bedside manner and spent over an hour with me explaining my neck problem.Highly recommend in my opinion.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][327711].votes_count ]]