Dr. Brent J. Michael

Grad. Year: 2000

Answers Email: Y
Online Appt. Scheduling: N
Accepting New Patients:Y

Rating: 3.7 out of 5 (5 is best), based on 26 reviews. Dr. Brent J. Michael has a good overall rating on RateMDs.com. smile

New! - Questions and answers about this doctor

The following ratings and comments have not been substantiated by RateMDs.com.
Date Staff Punctual Helpful Knowledge Review Comments
RID: 3578444
23/10/13 5 5 5 5 Dr. Michael is not your average doctor. I feel fortunate to have enjoyed Dr. Michael as my primary GP for over 6 years and have found him to be extremely trustworthy, personable, knowledgeable, honest, thorough, compassionate and non-judgmental. He takes the time to talk to you and to listen to all of your concerns. Dr. Michael is someone you can talk with and he really cares about each one of his patients. He listens and provides suggestions. A patient couldn't ask for a more caring physician than Dr. Michael. The entire office staff is extremely friendly, personable and accommodating. Dr. Michael is a great doctor, mentor and friend. I'm glad I have him as my primary care provider! I am forever grateful to Dr. Michael and strongly recommend him to anyone who desires personalized care.
Respond

20/10/13 SYSTEM: First Name changed from "Brent" to "Brent J."
RID: 2888665
01/10/13 4 4 5 4 I broke my leg a few years ago and was totally immobilized. I was playing basketball and landed wrong completely breaking the bone. I was depressed not to mention in pain. I was also slightly embarrassed about my condition. A friend of mine recommended Dr. Michael. I was amazed at how responsive and cordial he and his staff were in the early goings of my rehabilitation. I received the referrals I needed promptly and they would consistently check in with me to see how I was doing. I would highly recommend Dr. Michael to anyone, he’s a great doctor and all around stand up guy.  Respond

29/09/13 SYSTEM: 3 positive duplicate or disallowed ratings automatically removed

23/06/13 SYSTEM: 2 positive duplicate or disallowed ratings automatically removed
RID: 2685220
21/06/13 4 4 5 5 Dr Michaels was informative and thorough. He listens and takes the time to give great care!  Respond
RID: 2665480
29/05/13 5 4 5 5 Dr. Brent Michael was awesome.. He and his staff were very friendly and accommodating. Short wait time and thorough examination. Dr. Michael was sweet, attentive, informative and helpful. Highly recommend him.
Insurance: Anthem
RID: 1714108

15/02/12 3 3 1 1 Dr. Michael has changed. I have seen him sometimes where he seems fine and other times more recently where he seems like a different person and acts strange--it's hard to describe but it has made me feel very uncomfortable. I am going to switch to another doctor because I have gotten second opinions that have proven him very wrong on more than one occasion. I would definitely NOT recommend him. His staff is nice, though.  Respond
RID: 1646365
29/11/11 5 5 5 5 Dr. Michael is a great doctor, very professional. Nurse is very nice and polite. great experiense...
RID: 1634150
14/11/11 5 5 5 5 Dr. Michael is prompt, extremely informative and very polite. Thanks again Dr. Michael!!!  Respond
RID: 1525978
30/08/11 1 1 1 2 Recently, I went into the office for a physical and to check out the new doctor my insurance assigned me. It was the single worst experience I have ever had at the doctor's. I had to wait 2 full hours before seeing the doctor. He then rushed me through because he had a meeting. I forgot to ask one question, so I asked the nurse if he could see me. He was still in the hallway because I could hear his voice, but they said no to me. I had some blood work done and had to call SEVERAL times to get the results. I was told they would contact me, but they never did. They even hung up on me one of the times I actually reached them and got them to put me on hold. This doctor's office is WAY overbooked and I would never recommend it to anyone. Both the office staff and the actual doctor were unprofessional to say the least.
Respond

18/04/11 SYSTEM: 6 positive duplicate or disallowed ratings automatically removed

20/02/11 SYSTEM: 2 positive duplicate or disallowed ratings automatically removed
RID: 1350587
30/01/11 5 5 5 5 Dr. Michael is one of the premier family physicians in Santa Monica and West Los Angeles. Any claims otherwise are lies and fraudulent. He has been my doctor for 6 years and I can say without a doubt that he is the best. That is why his waiting room is full. You may wait a few minutes, but that is irrelevant when you need the best care possible. Word travels fast, and that is why in a short period of time Dr. Michael has established himself as the "go to" family physician in west Los Angeles. His staff is very helpful and his extensive network of referrals insures you will always receive the best care possible. I tell anyone reading, do not hesitate to see Dr. Michael.
Respond

16/01/11 SYSTEM: 2 positive duplicate or disallowed ratings automatically removed
RID: 1325593
02/01/11 1 2 1 1 This guy is a Grade A Jerk. He actually told me that I should really have PPO insurance because then he would give me an examination. But since I have HMO insurance, he just refers everything out. What a scammer. He then gives me this ridiculous lengthy explanation about how he is a "private" doctor and that only 10% of his patients are HMO, the rest are PPO or cash. This doctor made me feel like the scum of the earth. What a punk. What's worse is that my "consultation" took place with me sitting in his actual office and he on the other side of the desk. He asked me what was wrong...that was it. I could have told him my leg was gangrenous and he wouldn't have looked at it. But instead, he wrote me a referral and said I'd hear back in 7 to 10 days. That was 40 days ago and I just got the referral after weeks of badgering his office. This guy is an arrogant jerk, cocky and obviously discriminatory against anyone with HMO insurance. "You're not good enough."
Paid (or co-pay): $15
See Responses
RID: 1316178
16/12/10 1 1 4 4 This is the worst managed doctor's office in Los Angeles. The women who work in the office are incompetent, rude, and arrogant. They schedule many more patients per hour than the doctor is able to see. This results in patients waiting ridiculous lengths of time past their scheduled appointments. On one occasion, I had to wait 80 minutes past my appointment. This time I had to wait 90 minutes another time, and still was not allowed to see the doctor, so i had to leave. One of the incompetent office workers had put my name on a list for a special expensive procedure which I did not need. (I had it done earlier in the year - Duh!) I was only there to have the doctor to OK a script refill. Gross incompetency rules at this office. Dr. Michael is a nice guy, but he has morons working for him. Look elsewhere for good service.  Respond
RID: 1305112
01/12/10 2 1 4 4 The staff is quite rude as they do not seem to acknowledge your presence, unless they see you once a week. Their record keeping is poor, as I had to update my insurance twice. They do not seem to think the younger patients are worth the time, as older patients with later appointments were seen before me. I've seen Dr. Michael four times, and each time I've had to wait an hour or longer. However, once you meet Dr. Michael (who's a devout Christian, if you're cool with that, he never mentions it, but he has crosses and religious texts everywhere), you'll find he's very down to earth and knows how to communicate. Despite my age, he treated me with respect, showed great knowledge for all of my questions, spent all the time with me that I desired, helped me with my issues, and referred me appropriately. A friend of mine was not so lucky and had billing issues, which ended in a very lengthy/angsty email exchange between the two. I guess just stay on his good side.
Insurance: United Healthcare
RID: 1215380
26/07/10 5 5 5 5 Between both of my grandparents, they were taking almost 40 different medications prescribed by several specialists. It was so confusing and scary seeing them taking these medications, half of which they had no idea what the medicaitons were for. We heard from a friend how Dr. Michael took care of their parents so we scheduled an appointment with his clinic. On their first visit to Dr. Michael, he along with his nurses went through each of my grandparents medications one by one, and patiently Dr. Michael taught my grandparents about their current health condition, and discarded the overlap of meds, as well as the meds that were doubled up but named differently, and finally prescribed meds that were overlooked and very necessary for their current conditions. My grandparents now take less than half of what they use to take and finally have a doc that they can trust. They are feeling and living much healthier lives. I’m certain that Dr. Michael extended the lives of my grandparents for for that our family will be forever grateful!
Insurance: Medicare
RID: 1214873
24/07/10 5 5 5 5 The experience I had with Dr. Michael was the best, I was really disappointing in all the other doctors but he was just good and I would recommend him to everyone who need anything.
RID: 1165734
09/05/10 1 2 1 1 Dr. Michael was definitely the worst experience I have ever had with a Dr. He was incredibly rude and uncaring. I actually left crying because he made me feel so horrible. Seriously, find someone else.
Respond

09/05/10 SYSTEM: 3 positive duplicate or disallowed ratings automatically removed
RID: 1122152
06/03/10 1 3 4 4 OK, it has been a long time since I last went to Dr. Michael's office. My last visit did not go well. The staff, evidently, had no knowledge of my appointment, even though they had scheduled it, but that wasn't the killer. Rather, sitting in the office for one hour, totally ignored, thinking they knew I was there for an appointment, was the killer. When they finally acknowledged my presence, they looked at me like I was an idiot! I will never go back to that office. A pity, since Michael is a decent doctor-I have tried a couple since, and he was better.
Respond

27/12/09 SYSTEM: 3 positive duplicate or disallowed ratings automatically removed
RID: 1050915
06/12/09 1 3 4 4 I went to this doctor according to rating on the website. I can not really say anything negative about the doctor because I think he was ok. After my visit, when I had to call the office to ask a question, and talk to my doctor the staff on the phone was very very rude. When I called for my test results at the day they said it would be ready it wasn't ready and it wasn't ready the day after day and they were telling me this again very in a very "rude manner". I would never thought I would call a doctor and complain about this kind of a problem but I will because it happened each time I called them. Nobody deserve to be treated like that.
Insurance: CIGNA
RID: 1039480
20/11/09 5 3 4 4 Dr. Brent Michael very caring with a compasionate heart loving and truly cares about his patients and takes the time to really answer all your medical questions. I would highly recommend him to anyone who is looking for a good doctor.
Insurance: CIGNA
RID: 1022544
30/10/09 5 4 5 5 He listens, he remembers, he cares, he's fantastic. He truly takes the time to understand why you are there and how he can help. Their office is incredible and Dr. Michael can really break things down for the average person to figure out. I am sooo happy I found him!
Insurance: Aetna
Paid (or co-pay): $40
RID: 855210
07/04/09 5 5 5 5 Dr Michael is excellent! He is dedicated to giving his patients the best care possible. He also happens to have one of the nicest staffs that I have ever dealt with. The office manager was extremely helpful, polite and accommodating. And most importantly, his nurse was extremely gentle and patient with me when it came to taking my blood, as I am terrified of needles. I have the utmost confidence in Dr Michael and his staff, and without hesitation refer them constantly.
Insurance: United Healthcare
RID: 851299
02/04/09 5 5 5 5 This is a GREAT DOCTOR the BEST EVER!!! I'm keeping him these Doctors are hard to come by, I'm not leaving this one. Where he goes my family and friends go too!!. He is a warm, compassionate, understanding, patient, an excellent communicator and extremely knowledgable. Dr. Michael treats you as a person and not like a take out order, "NEXT". Furthermore, he personally returns all phone calls and explains everything to you. He has tremendous medical instincts and I TRUST him completely!! I recommend Dr Michael unequivocally for Family Practice.
RID: 847389
30/03/09 1 1 1 1 This guy is no good, get another doctor. He is horrible with appts, and if you need a referral..forget about it. I had to call his office 4 times to finally get the referral I needed to see a dermatologist. Each experience I've had with him, he has been rude, unknowledgeable, and very unhelpful. Eff this guy, he sucks.
RID: 620175
21/06/08 1 1 2 3 Difficult to make an appointment. It took a month to make an appt, but I received a cancellation call. Dr. was out of town...it would've been nice to receive a call early instead of the morning of the appt day. Upset that I took a day off from work to have a month of waiting for an appt be gone. Won't be coming back.  Respond
RID: 595124
21/05/08 5 5 5 5 Dr. Michael is great! He has the best bedside manner of any GP I've ever had and makes you feel completely listened to and important. He rocks!!!
RID: 149483
20/02/07 1 3 3 I made three appointments and all three were cancelled by his office. He has too many patients, does not have time to see the healthy ones.
Insurance: Pacificare
RID: 38702
01/08/06 1 1 1 Very rude, terse and seems to only care about HIS time, not yours.
Paid (or co-pay): $2000