Dr. Robert F. Spetzler

Foreign Lang: Spanish

Answers Email: N
Online Appt. Scheduling: N
Accepting New Patients:Y

Rating: 4.8 out of 5 (5 is best), based on 20 reviews. Dr. Robert F. Spetzler has an excellent overall rating on RateMDs.com. smile

New! - Questions and answers about this doctor

Q: Does this doctor take AHCCCS Health Insurance?    Email me    Answer it

Neurosurgeon-related: nervous system, cervical and lumbar spine problems, brain tumors, neurovascular problems, peripheral nerve problems, neurological surgery, brain and spinal cord tumors, skull-base surgery, brachytherapy, aneurysm surgery, epilepsy surgery, neurological surgery
The following ratings and comments have not been substantiated by RateMDs.com.
Date Staff Punctual Helpful Knowledge Review Comments

04/07/14 SYSTEM: 'birds of a feather' score (based on Medicare patients-in-common): 3.5
RID: 5592065
01/07/14 5 5 5 5 Dr. Spetzler is a phenom in his field. In 2007 I was diagnosed with a brainstem cavernoma that was bleeding and was told by Connecticut and NYC hospitals that they would not operate because it was too risky. After some research I sent my MRI to his team and was told they would give me a 95% success rate. A month later after rehabbing from my bleed which left me cross eyed and paralyzed on my left side I saw Dr. Spetzler and he,like no one else,said you will be fine let's do it. Literally 1 hour after I came out of surgery I got out of my bed and walked around unassisted and my eyes were straight!!!Now over 6 years later I am doing great considering the location and severity of what could have happened. He is the ONLY neurosurgeon to see for surgery and has saved many lives. Thankyou Dr. Spetzler and team at Barrow :)  Respond
RID: 5549626
08/06/14 5 5 5 5 Dr Spetzler is a gifted surgeon with a warm bedside manner. He clipped my carotid aneurysm 2 years ago, and I am doing fine. He and his staff are very proficient and knowledgeable. I did my research and went to the best. Thank you, Dr. Spetzler and God bless.
RID: 5498927
28/05/14 5 5 5 5 Dr Spetzler is Excellent. He removed my AVM in December 2013.So thankful and blessed everyday.
RID: 5491216
23/05/14 4 5 5 5 My wife had a avm in the ponds region and had to bleeds in a one week period, both bleed individually could have killed her, by way of intense research and explosive prayer I came upon his practice and his miracles, my wife had been considered hopeless due to the size and location of her cavernoma, this man not only removed this successfully, but my wife is jogging again, this experience has changed our lives, I was told that this was the largest ever removed from the ponds region of the brain, I hope someone in his practice reads this and tells him this, we love you Doctor and pray for you and your family. Thank you, thank you, thank you Robert Mac, Houston TX
RID: 5353887
17/04/14 5 4 5 5 My wife just had a difficult tumor taken out of her brain. Other surgeons we talked to said it would be a partial removal due to its closeness to the optic nerve and the carotid artery. Dr Spetzler just did a total removal with no problems. An amazing surgeon and man. He saved my wife's life.  Respond
RID: 5287906
20/03/14 5 5 5 5 In 2010 I had 2 separate surgeries to fix 5 aneurysms by Dr. Spetzler. Nearly 4 years later I am doing well. He is truly an amazing surgeon and person. I will always be grateful to him for saving my life.
RID: 3594417
03/11/13 4 5 4 5 After seeing several doctors, Dr. Spetzler was the only one who properly diagnosed my eighteen year old son. No other doctor was able to give an actual name to the condition, in fact the other doctors could only theorize what might be wrong. This was very discouraging, nothing was certain. When Spetzler made his diagnosis it all made sense, it wasn't just a guess. He knew what he was going to do before going into the operating room and he explained it in a way my kid understood. After seeing him I was greatly relieved and my son was so happy, telling people he had one of the very best surgeons in the world, he had absolute confidence he would recover completely. And, he did. I can't give enough thanks to God for leading us to this man and answering our prayers.  Respond

20/10/13 SYSTEM: First Name changed from "Robert" to "Robert F."
RID: 1733355
10/03/12 5 5 5 5 I love Dr.Spitzler he saved my life and his team I am so grateful for a second chance at life I,ll never let any on down.Thankyou God for giving Dr,Spitzler golden hands the best.
Insurance: CIGNA
RID: 1681605
09/01/12 5 5 5 5 Dr. Spetzler saved my 17 years old life. Diagnosed with a brain tumor, most likely caused by his previous radiation for two other tumors in the orbit, We were told surgery was not an option. Dr. Spetzler took my sons case and to put into his words " The surgery was uneventful", removed the entire tumor from a very difficult place. He is still on chemotherapy, but without the surgery, we do not know where we would be today. He has an excellent oncologist at PCH and is doing well. Just can't thank Dr. Spetzler enough, it is impossible.
RID: 1556690
08/10/11 2 2 1 1 I did not have a good experience with this person. For me it was very unplesant and I was in a very vulnerable situation.  Respond
RID: 1496798
26/07/11 5 5 5 5 I have had 3 successful brain surgeries with Dr. Spetzler and his team. I owe my life to him. The most incredible surgeon. By far the best hospital (I have been through a lot of them).
RID: 1387573
14/03/11 5 5 5 5 He is the best. he now about everything. He is correct. He is a good teacher  Respond
RID: 1381080
07/03/11 5 5 5 5 God bless Dr. Spetzler, he is the best. It's been over 2 years since my surgery for a brain aneurysm and I couldn't ask for a better doctor.
RID: 1364020
15/02/11 4 5 5 5 My wife was diagnosed with a brain aneurysm, and Dr Spetzler performed the operation on July 19, 2010 before it ruptured. He did an incredible job, and actually left his vacation to do the surgery. My wife is still recovering, but is about 80% vison-wise and memory-wise. Dr Spetzler is a very talented and caring individual, and if you need brain aneurysm surgury, he is about as good as you get. He is very busy, and understandibly so. God bless him
RID: 1248990
12/09/10 5 5 5 5 No one can believe I ever had a large brain tumor because I have absolutely no side effects....Dr. Spetzler is a miracle worker!
Insurance: CIGNA
Paid (or co-pay): $35000
RID: 1058675
16/12/09 5 5 5 5 Dr. Spetzler and the entire Barrows Staff and St. Joseph's Hospital was wonderful. He explained everything and did such a great job on my brain aneurysm that 3 years later I can report absolutely no side effects....completely healed! Thank you so much.
RID: 746080
18/12/08 5 4 5 5 An operation by the world reknown Dr. Spetzler is an utterly transcendent experience. He exorcised a tumor on my spine, and now, 18 months later all is well. He and colleagues answered questions, the nursing staff was great, the food was even pretty good. But mostly, he presents as a magus, and then he backs ir up.  Respond
RID: 571810
16/04/08 5 4 5 5 Dr. Spetzler was wonderful. He removed a AVM from my brain. I was really scared but he made me feel very at ease...Awesome doctor...   Respond
RID: 29914

09/05/06 2 5 5 Dr. Spetzler is a wonderfun surgeon. He inserted a shunt into my brain and I am 99% back to norman. Without is knowledge I wouldn't be here today. Thank you Dr. and God Bless you, your family and all your colleagues. Linda Hornsby
RID: 19115
15/12/05 5 5 5 How does one rate a physican that saved my daughter's life? Dr. Spetzler is an amazing surgeon and man. He followed her for almost 4 years, through Gamma Knife Surgery and then through removal of the AVM (blood tumor) that had remained in her head. We just saw him this past week when he gave her the "all clear" sign. Sarah is a Physician Assistant student at Midwestern University. Dr. Spetzler treated her as a peer, telling her that he was proud of her for getting back into med-school two weeks after brain surgery. He seems to expect only the best out of his residents, hospital staff, as well as his patients. And they all want to give it to him. I'm not sure where he finds the time to be the best neuro surgeon in the world, family man, teacher, and number one in "bedside manner." We were truely blessed to have found him.