Dr. Jean Joseph

Foreign Lang: Creole

Answers Email: N
Online Appt. Scheduling: N
Accepting New Patients:Y

Rating: 3.7 out of 5 (5 is best), based on 17 reviews. Dr. Jean Joseph has a good overall rating on RateMDs.com. smile

New! - Questions and answers about this doctor

Urologist-related: urinary tract, prostate, bladder, erectile dysfunction, kidney stone disease, male infertility, prostate cancer, urinary incontinence
The following ratings and comments have not been substantiated by RateMDs.com.
Date Staff Punctual Helpful Knowledge Review Comments
RID: 5336964
08/04/14 5 5 5 5 I am amazed at some of the comments regarding this EXCELLENT doctor. The negatives could be attributed to the first surgeon I had been "assigned," at Highland, but not to Dr Joseph. My first consultation was with him AFTER HOURS and we talked for at least an hour, during which time he explained the pros and cons of the robotic surgery and suggested I give careful thought to leaving the practice of Dr Cos. But the decision was clear: he had already explained things more clearly and had taken more time with me than the other doctor had during the previous 1.5 years. My surgery went very well and follow-ups have always been punctual and thorough. I am convinced that there are no better than he and his staff. I have found everyone in the practice to be available even on an emergency-need basis...during all the past 13 years since my surgery!
RID: 3658801
17/01/14 3 4 1 4 Dr Joseph was communicative and a bit of salesman initially. He seemed very caring and confident about his ability to remove the cancer and spare the nerves that affect continence and erectile functions. The cancer had not spread outside my prostate and I had no problems with those functions prior to the surgery. Three months after the surgery I mentioned I was having issues with incontinence and ED at a follow up visit with the doctor... I didn't notice the communication, caring and confidence he exhibited earlier. My incontinence slowly improved. After no results from a "vacuum constriction device" & two different oral medications for ED, I will soon see a different Urologist to help me achieve an erection via a needle injection. While Dr Joseph said I have not been patient enough, guys that had this surgery performed by other surgeons told me they had short-lived problems with incontinence or ED. My trust and hope is so low, I may opt for a penile implant. Caveat emptor
RID: 2463792
01/11/12 2 2 2 3 Search elsewhere! Research all your options! The nurse was dismissive and rude. I was assured that I wouldn't be left "high and dry" after surgery, but that is exactly what happened. Dealing with incontinence and impotence to this very day and my prostate surgery was done in 2008. Should have listened to my own instincts after initial visit before surgery when I got the impression that I was dealing with used car salesmen instead of caring medical personnel. Guess they need the money to pay for that high tech robotic equipment that Intuitive Surgical Inc. conned them into buying.
RID: 2111761
05/05/12 5 5 5 5 I saw Dr Joseph 4/19 2012 His PA Gina was great had alot of info, Dr came in was very nice stayed until I was done asking questions. These offices are always going to be busy , so expect some wait time, Am having surgery 5/15 , will let you know so far no problem
Insurance: MVP Health
RID: 2095386
30/04/12 2 1 1 2 surgical pressure for prostatectomy. unremarkable examine. not recommended to anyone.
Insurance: Medicare
RID: 1494951
25/07/11 5 4 5 5 Before my sygery i was made to feel very compfortable by dr. joseph and his staff he made it perfectly clear and seamed willing to take as much time as needed to make both my wife and i very compfortable. After the surgery ther ewas some minor schedule conflicts but his staff did a wonderful job
Insurance: Medicare
RID: 1224630
08/08/10 5 5 5 5 Dr Joseph operated on my husband in Sept. of 2007 for prostate cancer. I had just finished radiation for breast cancer and my husband had not only prostate cancer but a Soft Tissue Sarcoma and Heart Surgery to deal with all in one year. Dr Joseph was wonderful and treated us with the most kindness and detailed care one could ask for. I would like to add we are in our ealry 50's and never expected this turn of events. We are fully recovered and enjoying our lives because of the care we received from Dr Joseph and other Dr's in upstate NY. Thank you all!!  Respond
RID: 1094643
01/02/10 5 5 5 5 I traveled from South Florida to New York to have Dr. Joesph perform Laparoscopic surgery after I was diagnosed with prostate cancer. Why did I travel 2000 miles? Because he is probably the the most talented and experienced surgeons in the country. This is just a fact. All I cared about was to get my prostate out of there with as little nerve damage as possible. Dr. Joesph is one of few surgeons in the country that has the expreience to do this
Insurance: Aetna
RID: 1077230
13/01/10 4 4 1 1 Before surgery for cancer of prostate I asked questions about how he would determine what amount of tissue would be removed. His response was arrogant and stifled any questions "if I wanted him for my Dr. I would let him make all decisions". He was supposed to be the best. I wish I had gotten another opinion. Although my prostate showed no progress of the cancer externally he took it all and all the nerves. I am now totally impotent. He did not meet my wife who was waiting for him after my surgery. He never told me he had done a radical surgery removing all nerves. His office staff told me. They were surprised I had not been told. After all attempts by him and his staff to provide further assistance failed, I left his practice. The "happy talk" about how they can always deal with this problem was just that - talk. Suction device failed painfully. Injections failed PAINFULLY. He may know his stuff, but his inability to deal with patients and disease indicate he can't use what he knows.
Insurance: Aetna
RID: 1048950
03/12/09 4 2 3 4 A competent doctor, but rather brusque in his approach, and I had the feeling he wanted me out of there so he could see another patient. He knows his stuff and did an outstanding job, but his bedside manner could be better.
RID: 794039
19/02/09 5 5 5 5 Dr. Joseph saved my life from Gleason stage 8 prostate cancer. Two years later I am PSA 0. He is the most knowledgeable and professional surgeon possible. Any negative rating may be by people with a racial prejudice. His staff is incredibly efficient and kind. There is no possible way for improvement in either doctor or staff.
RID: 775332
28/01/09 5 4 5 5 I was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 6/07 and researched many surgeons before deciding on Dr Joseph because of his extensive experience in robotic surgery. Because he is so so busy, I only got to talk with him for a few min. during my pre surgical office visit, but he answered all my questions without hesitation and was up front about everything. His sense of humor did seemed a lttle strange, and he did seem a little stand offish at times, but I wasn't hiring him to tell me jokes, I was hiring him because of his skill in removing prostates. My surgery was in 9/07 and to this day, I am cancer free and my psa is 0. I have full continence and I have no problems with ED. If you are looking for a skilled surgeon, then this is your man.
Insurance: United Healthcare
RID: 559931
07/04/08 5 5 5 5 Dr. Joseph is a caring, intelligent, talented surgeon. His professionalism is unsurpassed. He is experienced and considered to be an expert in his field. He is the best surgeon in this area of expertise. His staff is professional, and extremely patient friendly. Rochester is lucky to have a doctor on staff of this calibar.
RID: 422265
01/10/07 1 1 1 1 After attempting to tell this person about concerns I have with my care, he rudely reminded me that he "is the doctor" and that "I should simply be quiet and allow him to do his job!" WOW! Not only am I going to report his behaviour to the insurance company I will also be informing the state medical licensing department. Horrible, immature, asinine, prick!! I wouldn't be surprised if the 2 comments in his favor were, in fact, written by him or his woefully inept staff.
RID: 351096
21/06/07 5 5 5 Dr. Joseph could not have been a better fit for me. I am young to have prostate cancer. When his office was contacted, they got me in right away. The office is always very busy, but when you are being served, they give you their undivided attention. Dr. Joseph is a man of few words, but when he speaks, he has something to say and it is always in the patient's best interest. I would recommend him to anyone.
RID: 117771
29/01/07 3 5 5 Our experience with Dr. Joseph could not have been better. He is one of the most experienced surgeons with laparascopic prostectomies. His staff is very busy but they will always find time to answer questions. He phoned the night before surgery and promptly followed up afterwards. Rochester is fortunate to have urology surgeon of his caliber.  Respond
RID: 15908
30/11/05 1 1 1 AVOID THIS ARROGANT PERSON AT ALL COSTS. Horrible office staff, NEVER on time, orders tests and exams that are NOT NEEDED. I explained the issues that I was having with this person and he LAUGHED at me. His arrogance is off the charts. Very young, very green, very inconsiderate. DO NOT suffer through even ONE visit with him.
* - Rating left by a registered user