Rate Dr. John C. Gustafson

Dr. John C. Gustafson's Ratings

I met Dr. Gustafson in 1981. He was new to the practice and I seemed to get him every week during my last month. I thought....I don't know this guy, I wanted to see the more established doctors. Well, after the first few visits, he really won me over. He was kind, thoughtful and very interested in how I was doing and feeling. He ended up being on call when I delivered my first child. He was wonderful. Interestingly enough, he ended up being on call when I had my 2nd and 3rd baby also. Was I lucky. I have never forgotten Dr. Gustafson. My children are now 30, 27 and 25. I wish I could tell him how much he meant to me during those years. In my opinion he was the perfect Dr. His bedside manner has not been found since. I cannot imagine how he has changed over the years. To all those out there looking for a caring Dr., please give him a shot. I'm going out on the limb after 30 years but I still think he was one of the best doctors I ever had.

Submitted Sept. 25, 2011 | flag

Dr. Gus is a very nice guy. He will make you feel comfortable. Don't get too comfortable though, because he is old school. He told me that I was not a good candidate for a vaginal delivery after my first c section, but when I saw another doctor in TO, he told me that I was. I did have a VBAC at Los Robles. Glad I did not listen to Dr. Gus! Although I can't say he is a bad doctor or a rude guy, I can say that you are not getting all your options when you go to him.

Submitted Aug. 3, 2010 | flag

If you want a pregnancy with all the tests, go with this guy or his practice. Just don't be surprised when he ends up sectioning you. This is the place to go when you want the doctor to take care of everything and not do any research on your own or make your own calls. He does not support moms being informed - he just wants you to trust him and let him do whatever he wants.

Submitted March 13, 2010 | flag

Sure the office does run behind, however being a paitient for a straight 2 plus years I spend a ton of time in the waiting room and a many times I was the reason other's were waiting. I beleive the reason the wait is can be long is that they are attentive and excellent docotrs and let's not forget pregnancy is not text book and emergencies in OB office can be serious and uperdictable; hey these are peoples' babies and they take that seriously. I have had issues that needed to be addressed and was treated in the manner of a fair triage. The office staff was amazing. Maybe it was because I practically lived at that office and formed a close bond to everyone of the support staff. The doctors' office support always went out of their way for me with smiles and good additude. I also think you get further with sugar and honey. Being upset with the front staff for having to wait in an OBGYN office is not doing yourself any favors. They are worth each minute or hour of your wait!

Submitted Nov. 13, 2009 | flag

Dr. Gustfason is great. The staff does not really interact with you and they don't go out of their way to be helpful, but they are never unpleasant. They are a very busy practice, but that, to me, says something about the popularity of the doctors there. Of the three visits, I've had an extensive wait time only once. When I make my appointment, I just make sure that I don't have anywhere else to be afterwards. Besides, I've never been to a doctor's office where they are always running on time.

Submitted March 5, 2009 | flag

I have been with an HMO for a while, and am accustomed to seeing nurse practitioners for my annual exams. I am now pregnant, and have had only the intial visit with Dr. Gustafson, but have been very pleased. He went out of his way to answer all of my husband and my questions and concerns -- he has a great deal of empathy for pregnancy symptoms and the experience as a whole. His bedside manner is great and he is very humorous -- he is a great doctor so far. I will post later in the pregnancy if my opinion or experience changes (i.e., I can see how the waiting room can become impacted according to the previous poster's feedback.) It's also nice to have an OBGYN with lots of experience. He accepts my HMO, and my Primary's office recommended him (based upon the fact that many of the women who work in that office have gone to him during their pregnancies)... I also have coworkers with PPOs who have chosen him based upon reputation. We look forward to delivering with him. Great doctor!

Submitted Jan. 2, 2009 | flag

Good doctor, but the office is TOO busy. They are never on time, the staff will not prioritize patients who are at the end of their pregnancy, and they have no comprehensive system to make sure that patients get the information that they need to have good experiences with labor and delivery (i.e. hospital pre-registration, info on birthing classes, etc.). I have wasted countless hours waiting for appointments to begin, and have even walked out twice when they couldn't see me in a reasonable time frame. Frankly, the good care that you do get there does not make up for the disorganization in the office. I would go elsewhere, but this is the only ObGyn covered by my HMO. If you can choose, do not go here unless you have lots of free time.

Submitted Aug. 20, 2008 | flag