Dr. Jonathan Aviv

Location:
New York, New York Map External Link
Sleepy Hollow, New York Map External Link
Gender:M
Specialty:Ear Nose and Throat (ENT)
Website: entandallergy.com/p... External Link
Foreign Lang: Hebrew

Answers Email: Unknown
Online Appt. Scheduling: Unknown
Accepting New Patients:Y

Profile updated 12/12/13    Submit profile update    Subscribe to profile updates

Rating: 4.5 out of 5 (5 is best), based on 29 reviews. Dr. Jonathan Aviv has a good overall rating on RateMDs.com. smile

New! - Questions and answers about this doctor

Dr. Jonathan Aviv
Ear Nose and Throat (ENT)-related: ears, nose, throat, hearing loss, tonsillitis, nasal surgery, endoscopy, laryngology, reconstructive surgery of the head and neck, thyroid surgery, endoscopic sinus surgery, swallowing disorders, sleep apnea, vertigo
The following ratings and comments have not been substantiated by RateMDs.com.
Date Staff Punctual Helpful Knowledge Review Comments
RID: 5558150
13/06/14 5 5 5 5 Very caring and informative - spends a lot of time and not rush me out - would highly recommend to family and friends. Office is clean and well equipped - very nice flow to office visit.
RID: 5540548

06/06/14 3 3 1 3 Dr. Aviv may be an expert in his field, but I would discourage anyone from seeing him as a doctor. My appointment with him may have been my worst experiences with a doctor. A few examples: He used a FEESST to check my throat, which was excruciating because of significant swelling and an inability to shallow. When he finished the test, he told me I overreacted--that it had not been so bad. He advised me to make changes to my diet but then told me to buy his book to get all the information. When he prescribed medication, I asked him how it differed from what his office colleague had prescribed earlier. He responded that he had no idea what had been prescribed. I had to request he look at my record. He berated me for never having had allergy testing despite not having had any symptoms of allergies. In short, if you are looking for a compassionate doctor who provides information, he is NOT the one to see. I won't be going back.  See Responses
RID: 5301272
23/03/14 4 5 5 5 I started experiencing constant throat clearing, feeling a lump sensation in my throat and difficulty swallowing. After seeing numerous doctors including a GI who performed an Endoscopy and even being hospitalized, no one was able to give me the proper diagnosis. As luck may have it I did on online search and came across Dr. Aviv. I was able to get an appt. right away and Dr. Aviv was able to properly diagnose that I had LPR. I started medication and changed my diet and I feel great. Dr. Aviv is kind, caring, very knowledgeable and took his time with me. He has a great bedside manner and was the only doctor that was able to help me. I am forever grateful to Dr. Aviv. Dr. Aviv is a wonderful ENT doctor and I can't thank him enough for helping me feel better!
RID: 2709404
15/07/13 5 4 5 5 If you have complex or unusual ENT symtoms, you may want to see Jonathan Aviv, MD. Dr. Aviv is both a first-rate doctor and a medical researcher whose thoroughness and expertise far exceeds any ENT clinician I have met. Dr. Aviv diagnosed the causes of a chronic cough I've had for 25 years. He explained the reasons for my symptoms, showed me documentation of this rare ailment in a medical journal, outlined a complex but do-able treatment plan, emailed several other top-rated physicians on my behalf, and sent prescriptions to my pharmacy - all in less than forty minutes. I am also grateful to the cheerful and efficient staff at ENT and Allergy Associates, and impressed by the state-of-the-art facilities there.
Insurance: CIGNA
RID: 2573679
01/03/13 5 4 5 5 I was suffering for years from a constant cough, post nasal drip that lasted for months at a time. My medical doctor suggested probably an allergy but would not send me to a specialist. I then saw an episode of Dr.OZ "The Silent Killer: America's Fastest Growing Cancer" and many of the symptoms discussed where exactly what I had. I decided to take my health into my own hands and make appointment with allergist and ENT. Little did I know the ENT specialist turned out to be none other than Dr.Aviv who was actually on the Dr. Oz show. I was diagnosed with reflux and also with an allergy. Since I started with Dr. Aviv I have been cough free. Everyone notices that I no longer cough all day,every day. I am thrilled with my results and would recommend Dr. Aviv to everyone.
RID: 2412761
28/08/12 5 3 5 5 Dr. Aviv is THE person to see if you have any problems with your throat/larynx/voice/swallowing. He INVENTED the FEESST machine that evaluates how you swallow & films yr throat muscles, all while you're awake. His diagnosis is instant! I saw a # of drs before him who gave me many tests and couldn't determine what was wrong. [Be sure to bring previous test results from other doctors because Dr. Aviv may evaluate them differently.] Once Dr. Aviv makes the film, you can watch as he replays it at different speeds to detect any swallowing problems. He discovered that one of my vocal folds isn't as strong as the other. This causes food & liquid to pool in my throat & gives me the sensation that something is stuck in my throat. This weakness can occur simply from a bad cold, excess coughing, etc. There is one easy exercise that Dr. Aviv can prescribe to help you strengthen your vocal folds/cords. He also diagnoses whether you have acid reflux, post nasal drip & has you follow up w/other drs.
Insurance: United Healthcare
RID: 2217231
08/06/12 5 5 5 5 I told my Pulmonologist, Dr Cappell, that I could not swallow a steak. She told me to see Dr. Aviv and get his “FEESST” test, which evaluates swallowing. I saw Dr. Aviv, had the test and the results were bad. My throat entrance and passage were swollen on both sides thereby restricting the amount of food I could swallow. Aviv prescribed Prilosec/Omeprazole twice a day, reading a book “Dropping Acid”, and a Barium swallow test which I had. The test revealed a stricture in my esophagus. Dr. Aviv contacted Dr. Lambroza and I had an immediate endoscopy. My esophagus was a disaster and the opening to my stomach had shrunk to 10-12 mm from the norm 15-20mm. Dr. Lambroza told me to change my eating habits, take the drugs and get another endoscopy in 6 weeks. I changed my eating habits, took Omeprazole and felt better eating. My second endoscopy’s result was considerably better and the opening to my stomach had returned to a normal range. Two months later – the problems have not reoccurred.  Respond
RID: 2055601
20/04/12 5 5 5 5 I was fortunate to find Dr Aviv and his assistant Kozeta. 2 throat procedures and serious acid reflux were treated with total professionalism and continous follow up care.Thank you Dr. Aviv and Kozeta for your interest,knowledge,and care about my concerns putting me at ease. Traits I find hard to find in docters today.  Respond
RID: 1863494
07/04/12 5 5 5 5 Staff pleasant & caring. Doctor Aviv is an active listener, effective communicator, accurate diagnostician, & problem solver. My doctors were concerned my hoarse voice & cough were not improving. Referred me to Dr Aviv for correct dx & treatment.
Paid (or co-pay): $10
RID: 1858959
06/04/12 5 5 5 5 Dr. Jonathan Aviv is very Knowledgable and helpful in his practice. He takes his time with his patients. He is very proffesional and when talking to him you feel like you are talking with a friend. I feel most comfortable when I'm in his office. He comes up with solutions and plans to help better your condition. His assistant is also friendly and proffesional. I am giving Dr. Aviv a very good rating because he is one of the best dr's I've been to.
RID: 1840139
03/04/12 5 5 5 5 We can hardly express our gratitude to Dr. Jonathan Aviv, s specialist in tongue and throat disorders. After 8 years of going to 5 of the top neurologists in New York City and another at the Cleveland Clinic, we finally found Dr. Aviv who recognized my husband's symptoms (he has myasthenia gravis). Not a single one of the neurologists figured out anything, even though my husband displays all the classic symptoms. After eight years, Dr. Aviv has restored our faith in doctors.  Respond
RID: 1799940
25/03/12 5 5 5 5 Dr. Aviv is the most thorough and careful diagnostician I have yet encountered. It stems from his sincere wish to help his patients. He is both caring and exceptionally competent. I saw this both in his handling of my case as well as my daughter's.
Insurance: GHI
Paid (or co-pay): $15
RID: 1656797
09/12/11 5 5 5 5 Dr Aviv was very professional,personable and knowledgable. I was most impressed and happy to have found him. He was easy to talk to and listened to my concerns.
Insurance: Medicare
RID: 1646037
28/11/11 3 5 3 5 Dr. Aviv is very knowledgable about LPR and GERD, but like many doctors, he just put me on medication and told me to change my diet, and come back in a month. I feel NOTHING has been done to determine the root of my problem and to seriously cure it. still suffering. still miserable.
Insurance: CIGNA
Paid (or co-pay): $25
RID: 1518404
22/08/11 5 3 5 5 My father suffers from shortness of breath and chronic cough. We literally saw 5 different specialists over the past year and none could offer any real help. Within 2 minutes of seeing Dr. Aviv, he had diagnosed my father as having LPR and a paralyzed vocal cord and put him on a special reflux diet. For the first time in a year, we felt as though we were on the way towards a partial cure. Dr. Aviv was touted as a world-class specialist and we can certainly understand why. Highly recommended - especially for difficult to diagnose cases.
Insurance: Medicare
RID: 1443621
17/05/11 5 5 5 5 The office is very busy but appointment was on time. Not usual. the doctor was patient and explained the cause of my symptoms and the treatment clearly and patiently. i felt reassured after my visit.  Respond
RID: 1440212
13/05/11 5 5 5 5 Dr. Aviv is one of the most knowledgeable and friedly physicians I have seen. He was recommended to me and I found him to be right on point with his prognosis. I reccomend Dr. Aviv to everyone  Respond
RID: 1284090
01/11/10 1 2 1 1 NIGHTMARE experience with Dr. Aviv and his medical assistant Cosette. His medical assistant did not properly submit the paperwork for my medical device, prescription pills, MRI prescriptions AND gave me someone else's prescription for blood work. I had to come in from Long Island to NYC with the exclusive purpose of picking up my blood work perscription because Cosette could not properly mail me a letter! The scary thing is that if I needed surgery with Dr. Aviv, Cosette would be the other pair of hands assisting with he surgery. Dr. Aviv also MISDIAGNOSED ME!!!!!!!!! For two months I lived in panic and thankfully went to another surgeon for a second opinion. Dr. Aviv had me go for over a year's worth of radiation testing AND had me tested for kidney failure when my only issue was reflux. My new surgeon was in absolute shock when he saw how much radiation testing I had done including multiple MRI's, catscans and x-rays. AVOID AT ALL COSTS!
Insurance: United Healthcare
See Responses
RID: 1180882

01/06/10 3 3 1 1   Respond

04/04/10 SYSTEM: 3 positive duplicate or disallowed ratings automatically removed
RID: 1100727
08/02/10 5 5 5 5 I have been going to Dr. Aviv for almot a year and recently had throat surgery performed by him. The surgery went very smoothly and I recovered beautifully. He is very knowledgable and has a wonderful bedside manner. I highly recommend him.
RID: 1022592
30/10/09 5 5 5 5 I saw a few doctors over a couple of months without discovering my problem. Dr. Aviv immediately discovered the problem and now I'm fully cured. A+
Insurance: Anthem
RID: 1021483
29/10/09 4 5 5 5 Great Doctors. He puts effort and time into listening to your issues and tries to resolve them. He is very knowledgeable.  Respond
RID: 1017329
24/10/09 5 5 5 5 Dr. Aviv is one of the most brilliant Doctors I have ever met. After suffering from an undiagnosised swallowing disorder 18 months ago, I was extremely fortunate to find Dr. Aviv. He diagnosised my problem within minutes, providing huge relief. Although the recovery was slow in the beginning, Dr. Aviv was always re-assuring. During periods when I had brief set-backs, he would always speak to me personally by phone. I can't imagine getting through this challenging time not being under his care and I will always be grateful for all he has done for me. I wish all Doctors provided the same level of medical expertise and caring for their patients.  Respond
RID: 1010158
15/10/09 5 5 5 5 I went to Dr. Aviv as a second opinion and he ended up doing the original procedure, helping me avoid dangerous, painful and risky surgery.
Insurance: Oxford
Paid (or co-pay): $40
RID: 973299
26/08/09 4 4 5 5 I definitely commend Dr. Aviv. He is knowledgeable and is willing to really listen to your concerns... Made me feel comfortable with the throat procedure he was performing.  Respond
RID: 954273
04/08/09 5 5 5 5 Dr. Aviv was exceptionally knowledgeable and had an excellent bedside manor. Within 24 hours of the visit, my condition was cured. He took the time to carefully and candidly explain procedures and had a clear plan for treatment. I would 100% recommend this doctor.  Respond
RID: 918550
21/06/09 5 5 5 5 He calmed my fears especially since I had been in treatment for LPR for one year. He was thorough but kind. I left feeling hopeful for the first time in one year.
Insurance: GHI
Paid (or co-pay): $20
RID: 672995
25/08/08 4 4 5 5 Dr. Aviv was incredible. The other reviewer mentioned "his toys". Actually this doctor has invented many ground breaking medical devices and has THE best bedside manor out of any doctor I've ever gone to.
Paid (or co-pay): $200
RID: 602673

31/05/08 5 4 1 3 This doctor was of no help. He loves his toys which are different instruments and endoscopes, looking more on the screen of his gizmos rather than in the patient nose and throat or listening to patients' complaints. Apparently he is knowledgeable, which was not that obvious to me since after scoping me several times eventually got rid of me sending to a different doctor. Not my understanding of a good doctor.
Insurance: Oxford