Dr. Robert A. Eppley

Grad. Year: 1983

Answers Email: Unknown
Online Appt. Scheduling: Unknown
Accepting New Patients:Y

Rating: 4.9 out of 5 (5 is best), based on 22 reviews. Dr. Robert A. Eppley has an excellent overall rating on RateMDs.com. smile

New! - Questions and answers about this doctor

Q: Is he in john Muir network?    Email me    Answer it

The following ratings and comments have not been substantiated by RateMDs.com.
Date Staff Punctual Helpful Knowledge Review Comments
RID: 3623762
03/12/13 5 5 5 5 I travelled all the way from Drayton Valley, Alberta Canada to have knee surgery with Dr. Eppley in Oakland, CA. I did a lot of research on him first, and came to the conclusion that he was the best. I was not disappointed - he IS the best. His staff are extremely professional, efficient, caring, and friendly. Dr. Eppley himself, could not be more charming - he is personable, patient, kind, and caring, and above all, a BRILLIANT orthopedic surgeon. I would choose him again in a heart-beat. It would not have cost me anything to have this surgery in Alberta, but I would not have been able to get it done for at least a year - by then the damage would be done - permanently and likely irreversibly. It was well worth it to make the trip to California for surgery with Dr. Eppley. (Note that I am almost one month post-op and everything is great)  Respond
RID: 2649638
15/05/13 5 5 5 5 I have been a patient of Dr. Eppley for over 20 years and I will absolutely not let anyone else touch me with a knife!! He is not only an EXCELLANT surgeon but also a very kind and compassionate person. I first went to Dr. Eppley after another, highly rated, orthopedic surgeon botched an ACL replacement by putting in a screw that was to long and it created cysts in both my tibia and femur. I am a very active person and, unfortunately, have injured myself numerous times skiing,cycling, playing tennis, and racket ball. Dr. Eppley has had to do two rotator cuff surgeries, several knee surgeries and repair a broken ankle with a plate on me---- all with no negative results. I would highly recommend DR. Eppley and his wonderful staff---Gaye DeRusso is the best too!
RID: 2649617
15/05/13 5 5 5 5 I cannot say enough nice things about Dr. Eppley and his staff. All of them were extremely helpful, polite and compassionate. Gay Russo administered my knee injections with a great deal of expertise and I felt practically nothing each time. These medical professionals know what they are doing and they behave with kindness and knowledge. Dr. Eppley at first prescribed surgery for a torn meniscus, but after viewing my x-rays decided surgery would not help and thus we cancelled what would have been unnecessary surgery.
RID: 2649531
15/05/13 5 4 5 5 Dr. Eppley is highly skilled and very highly rated by all who have been helped by him. He is caring, precise in his words and his actions. He has taken care of my husband in 2009/2010 (Clavicle, rotator cuff AC joint) and me in 2013 (Humerus). He is probably the best if not among the top 1% of ortho-surgeons in the USA. I was very lucky to be able to benefit from his skill.
RID: 2628599
26/04/13 5 5 5 5 We have had one of the best experiences ever in a Doctor's office from their welcoming staff to their scheduling staff, their X-ray tech and of course Gay the PA & Dr. Eppley were not only at the top of their game. They were also gracious and caring. No question was too stupid & calls were returned w/I 24 hours. I had my lftknee totally replaced on Aug, 14th 2012 & then when my rt knee started painfully locking up, Dr Eppley fit me in at the end of Oct for a full rt knee replacement. We can't sing their praises loud enough! I am an almost 65 yr old woman & can now keep up with my 5yr old & 10 month old grandsons. If I ever needed orthopedic surgery, I would run, as now I almost can, not walk, to this office.
RID: 2620335
17/04/13 5 5 5 5 WHAT A GIFTED AND FANTASTIC SURGEON! i HAD TWO SHOULDERS WITH 2 AND 3 FULL ROTATOR CUFF TEARS. HE AND HIS WONDERFUL ASSISTANT - GAYE- ALLOWED ME TO SWIM AGAIN, LIFT WEIGHTS, AND FEEL TERRIFIC. HE KNOWS SHOULDERS IN AND OUT.
RID: 2619937
17/04/13 5 5 5 5 I highly recommend Dr. Eppley and Gaye. I had a badly torn rotator cuff which caused great pain. They turned a difficult surgery into a successful result. I am impressed by their competence and professionalism coupled with genuine care about me as a patient and person. That is a very unusual quality combination and much appreciated by me. Their office is efficient and responsive as well as kind and caring.
RID: 2619464
17/04/13 5 5 5 5 I can not say enough wonderful things about Dr. Eppley and his team. I had my ACL done back in Oct. Dr.Eppley was kind, caring and responsive. His PA, Gaye helped me immediately when I had a problem. The office team are superstars as well. Thanks to Dr. Eppley and his team, everything is great now. Such a great doctor and a wonderful team.
RID: 2617726
15/04/13 5 5 5 5 Dr. Eppley was referred to me, for my shoulder replacement surgery, by a now retired orthopedic surgeon who had done my arthroscopic work on my knee. The retired surgeon had major shoulder surgery done by Dr. Eppley and said "he is the best--use him". I found that to be absolutely true. Dr. Eppley is an "artist" as a surgeon, highly skilled, excellent communicator and a very "caring" doctor!!! He, and Gaye DeRusso his superb PA-C, and his entire staff are absolutely outstanding. I highly recommend them. Gary Koehler, Pleasanton, California. sug
Insurance: Anthem
RID: 2617552
15/04/13 5 5 5 5 Dr. Eppley has worked on my knee twice in the last ten years. In total, I've had six knee surgeries and when asked I always say Dr. Eppley is the best doctor I've ever had--I feel he educated me about knee health, maintaining longevity of my knees, and non-surgical approaches to increasing mobility while lowering pain. His entire staff, especially the wonderful Gaye DeRusso PA-C, provide a highly professional and caring experience. Pre and Post OP documentation and care, especially pain management, were outstanding. Go see Dr. Eppley!
Insurance: Aetna
RID: 2617192
14/04/13 5 5 5 5 Dr. Eppley has operated on both of my shoulders and both of my knees. One shoulder surgery was not routine -- repair of a major injury. Both shoulders now work great -- full use! He also did a partial knee replacement on both of my knees (7 years apart). These were not easy surgeries for him to do nor were they easy to rehab (a lot of work on my part), but they are both now pain free and very functional. Dr. Eppley is extremely kowledgeable and skilled, with the most gracious bedside manner -- very kind and thoroughly delightful person. His staff is extremely professional, attentive, and available, especially when I needed more than routine help! They're the best! I cannot recommend him more highly and would go to him again for any help that I needed! -- Norm Gelbart  Respond
RID: 2617023
14/04/13 5 5 5 5 Dr. Eppley and Gaye DeRusso are wonderful. I recently had a total knee replacement done by Dr. Eppley. He was caring, gentle and seemed genuinely interested in my well being. Gaye, his PA is fantastic. In addition to answering all my questions at each appointment without making me feel rushed, she was available by email and answered within minutes or the same day. On a recent post op appointment, I had a cyst on my arm that was inflamed. Instead of sending me off to another doctor for treatment, Gaye drained the cyst right there in the office. I would highly recommend Dr. Eppley, Gaye, and the whole staff at Cal Sports and Orthopaedics Institute.  Respond
RID: 2616399
13/04/13 5 4 5 5 They are all very caring and willing to help after hours. I cannot say enough nice things about Gaye. I would email her questions and pictures and she would always respond within a couple hours. I have not seen this level of care with anybody else. Dr. Eppley himself is also very patient and allows you to ask all of your questions without rushing you. I am truly glad he is the one who operated on my knee. I am a few weeks post-op and I'm very hopeful that things will return to normal. I'm grateful for all their kindness and accommodations.
RID: 2615592
12/04/13 5 5 5 5 I am a registered nurse and have worked for 30 years in various capacities in my field. As a Health Care Professional I highly respect and apprieciate the fine work done by Robert Eppley, Md, Gaye DeRusso, PA. Chad Roghair, Md. I have undergone a complete total joint replacement for my right knee. My outcome has been excellent. My new knee has allowed me to work and exercise and continue my life. After enduring 6 years of chronic pain and still working full time, my life now thanks to the excellent care i received is life changing. I have enjoyed excellent care with Chad Rogair, and Gaye De Russo, related to needed injections, taps for my shoulder, and other knee. Would I recommend Drs Eppley, Rogair, and De Russo, of course. As a matter of fact, my real concern given my younger age is that I will be able to be treated by them as I age. I highly recommend and frankly would not let anyone else treat me or my family. Keep up the stellar work.  Respond
RID: 2615190
12/04/13 5 5 5 5 Dr. Eppley richly deserves his reputation for excellence. I've undergone two surgeries with him (knee replacement in 2011, torn rotator cuff in 2013). He combines consummate skill with an affable manner, and unflinching attentiveness to the condition and concerns of his patients. (Everyone on the hospital staff knew that Dr. Eppley was closely monitoring my treatment. I felt genuinely cared for and looked after.) Physician's Assistant Gaye de Russo was always reachable to answer all of my pre- and post-op questions. I felt fully informed every step of the way. This is as good as it gets.  Respond
RID: 2615036
11/04/13 5 5 5 5 My husband and I have four repaired shoulders and a new knee, thanks to Dr. Eppley. All five joints in excellent shape.
RID: 2614882
11/04/13 5 5 5 5 Dr. Eppley is a very competent and friendly doctor. Surgery is not scary with him, it's pretty relaxed and easy.
RID: 2614862
11/04/13 5 3 5 5 I hope I don't have to see Dr. Eppley again as I have two knees from him. I have now run out of knees, and, while I know he also does shoulders, I would like to keep the pair with which I started!
RID: 2614744
11/04/13 5 5 5 5 Dr. Eppley and his staff are top notch in care and personal attention to my needs. I will be back for my next joint replacement.
RID: 1377845
03/03/11 1 4 1 3 I had ongoing general knee swelling and stiffness for two years, which I originally thought was caused by tendonitis in my quadriceps tendon, but a tendon expert told me this was unlikely because the tendon itself was not tender and tendonitis would not cause knee swelling. I had already had an MRI, ultrasound, and X-ray of the knee and nothing appeared wrong with it, but an arthroscopy is the only way to know for sure. Dr. Eppley was the surgeon and said that after the operation I would be able to return to the same level of activity within several weeks of the surgery. What he did not tell me is that if he decided the tendon was causing the problems and he were to try and treat it the recovery time would be greater than a year. He did try and treat the tendon, which did more harm than good, and as a result I am worse off 9 months later than I was before the surgery. His decision to not inform me of his intentions and the possible outcomes leads me to not suggest him for surgery.  Respond
RID: 377632
01/08/07 5 5 5 5 He is THE orthopedic physician in the area for knees and shoulders. My mom had xrays read and exams done on her shoulder for about three years by another doctor and was being treated for Arthritis. We finally got her in to see Dr. Eppley,and after a thorough examination took her right in to surgery. He repaired her torn and detached shoulder muscles and she recovered to use her arm without pain within just a couple months. She is now 79 yrs old and still moves with comfort.  Respond
RID: 15249
18/11/05 5 5 5 I had surgery by Dr. Eppley in '04. His entire staff is great. Dr. Eppley cares about his patients. He listens thoughtfully and he offers clear explanations. His credentials, peer reviews and awards speak for themselves. This guy is the one you want if you have to be worked on.
* - Rating left by a registered user